No Christmas in RIMville

December 14, 2011 at 3:02 am PT

Research In Motion is scheduled to report earnings after market close Thursday and the prognosis is not good.

Earlier this month, RIM warned that third-quarter revenue would be lower than the $5.3 billion to $5.6 billion it had previously forecast. Worse, it said it no longer expects to meet its earnings target for the year. The reason? A $485 million writedown for discounting its BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, which isn�t selling well at all, and the continuing decline in demand for its smartphones.

RIM�s third-quarter earnings warning also included a caution about expectations for fourth-quarter phone sales. They might have to be lowered as well.

The company�s share price has been plumbing the lower depths ever since. Not that it hasn�t been doing that for a while now. RIM�s stock hit a fresh 52-week low of $15.48 on Tuesday. That�s down about 77 percent from its 2011 high of $69.86.

RIM�s stock is a falling knife. (And to think it was trading at $147.55 in June of 2008.)

And it�s not likely to hit bottom anytime soon, if RIM�s pre-earnings announcement is any indication. Remember, the company warned that it�s going to sell fewer BlackBerrys in the fourth quarter, which includes the Christmas shopping season. This after the August launch of five new BlackBerry 7 smartphones, one of the biggest global BlackBerry launches in the company�s history.

So expect some grim numbers Thursday. As Morgan Stanley analyst Ehud Gelblum wrote in a Tuesday note to clients, �We believe the situation at RIM continues to deteriorate with the stock supported solely by its book value, and cannot foresee a change without a material change to management tack as, at this point, the migration to [RIM's forthcoming BlackBerry 10 platform] sometime in mid-2012, might already be too late.�
    Last edited by DaveBBStorm; 12-14-11 at 07:56 AM.
    12-14-11 07:53 AM
    Merry Christmas RIM employees!
    12-14-11 08:03 AM
    80% stock drop in one year and expected to continue to fall. Holy batman...
    12-14-11 08:28 AM
    whoopie.... next...

80% stock drop in one year and expected to continue to fall. Holy batman...
    i'm glad that these type of threads are getting less and less popular with people writing in them..

u only see the same stupid comments by the same people in each one of the threads..
    12-14-11 09:02 AM
    I predict....the best comback in history for a cell phone company. I hope
    JR A likes this.
    12-14-11 09:25 AM
    More worthless bashing, repeating old news and ignoring the new OS and services. Let's wait for the actual reporting.
    12-14-11 09:51 AM
    to formulate the new direction.
    JR A likes this.
    12-14-11 10:28 AM
    More worthless bashing, repeating old news and ignoring the new OS and services. Let's wait for the actual reporting.
    WHY NOT repeat "old news", brian? RIM repeats it's mistakes.
    12-14-11 10:34 AM
    This. RIM's constant missteps are old news. ****, there isn't really any NEWS coming out of RIM because nothing is going on.
    kevinnugent and vrs626 like this.
    12-14-11 10:40 AM
    This. RIM's constant missteps are old news. ****, there isn't really any NEWS coming out of RIM because nothing is going on.
    how true!!
    12-14-11 10:41 AM
    Yes dave repeatally on here reported "I HATE MY STORM"

Sorry, just kidding dave.
    12-14-11 10:48 AM
    whatever, I'm looking forward to 2012!!
    12-14-11 11:12 AM
    Yes dave repeatally on here reported "I HATE MY STORM"

Sorry, just kidding dave.
    I will send you a spell-checker for Christmas...
    12-14-11 11:48 AM
    whatever, I'm looking forward to 2012!!
    If the DOW gets over 14,000 and stays that way, I'll be very happy with 2012!
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    12-14-11 11:49 AM
    I will send you a spell-checker for Christmas...
    Thanks Dave! Your (yes I know it should be you're) so nice! Merry Christmas.

Damn playbook didn't even highlight that one LOL. kidding again.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-14-11 11:52 AM
    hmmm yes.. u are absolutely right...

2012 BBX BlackBerry Roadmap Preview - London, Lisbon, Milan, Nevada, Black Forest | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry App World v3.1.0.42 now available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone | CrackBerry.com

BBM 6.1 updated in the BlackBerry Beta Zone to v6.1.0.37 | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry Traffic updated to v3.0.0.353 in the BlackBerry Beta Zone | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry DevCon Asia 2011 keynote highlight video | CrackBerry.com

Exclusive: First Image of BlackBerry Milan - next generation BlackBerry 10 slider!! | CrackBerry.com

yes PB was launched half baked but come FEB it'll have a lot of new features including:

out of the box VPN
    Out of the box print capabilities
    out of the box enterprise.

looks like nothing is going on ....
    12-14-11 01:07 PM
    down to $14 now...yikes glad i sold at 24
    Shlooky likes this.
    12-14-11 01:37 PM
    yes PB was launched half baked but come FEB it'll have a lot of new features including:

out of the box VPN
    Out of the box print capabilities
    out of the box enterprise.

looks like nothing is going on ....

these are all speculations at best, what if RIM delays the release for another 6 months?
    12-14-11 01:38 PM
    these are all speculations at best, what if RIM delays the release for another 6 months?
    if they do then their in trouble... i am hoping they won't...

i'm sure they know they have the whole world to fight off and win back.. and they should know they have to release solid products and follow through with stuff, unlike they did in the past..

i am still hopeful..
    12-14-11 02:21 PM
    if they do then their in trouble... i am hoping they won't...

i'm sure they know they have the whole world to fight off and win back.. and they should know they have to release solid products and follow through with stuff, unlike they did in the past..

i am still hopeful..
    If anything, I feel the February date being the least believable..I'd give more credibility to one of the CEO's saying it than Saunders. But, obviously, my logic is flawed, since the CEO was wrong.
    12-14-11 02:56 PM

you're calling a BBM 6.1 update in the betazone news? To who? Consumers who aren't on the platform?

Guy, they are having trouble retaining customers and even more trouble getting new customers.

This isn't news. A firm release date is news. Them showing off BB10 on phones is news.
    dynot likes this.
    12-14-11 05:33 PM
    Using RIMs past recent behavior to predict their future behavior, OS2 for PB won't be released when they say, or hint, it will be. That's the safest, and most logical, bet.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    12-14-11 05:38 PM
    Hoping by Feb The update will help a lot
    12-14-11 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD