28th October 2011 upgraded my bb to 9860
    8th November 2011 ordered replacement
    15th November 2011 replacement arrived (total **bleep** delivery company being used by o2)
    13th December 2011 bb stopped working again

So both times I have had the same problem

* once charged it turns itself off
    * won't turn back on again
    * taking the battery out doesn't work
    * charging icon doesn't appear
    * completely blank screen
    * red light flashes on & off

Connected it to the PC and it is detected & desktop manager opens but can't back-up or update, basically can't do anything with it.

I cant do anything with the phone.

This is getting rediculous now!
    12-14-11 01:27 AM
    That is exactly why I gave up on BB...the 9860 is just a poorly built phone, too many issues.
    Now I'm gone the way of Google...Good Luck
    12-15-11 01:47 PM
    Atleast its detected, download BBSAK and wipe the OS and do a clean install of the .540 edition thats probably the most stable IMO
    12-15-11 03:11 PM
    Are you using the charger that came with the phone?
    12-17-11 08:45 AM
    Also, feel free to post this on the BlackBerry Support Community Forums at General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums. We're pasing these sorts of messages on.

Now then, just an observation, but have you considered that it could also be an app you've installed that's causing these problems? Phones don't just stop working for no reason, and seeing that this has happened with multiple phones, its either that you're using the wrong charger or an app is causing an issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-11 09:49 AM
    The problem may be in the charger. If you are not using the charger that came with it, you may run into issues. I looked at all of my old chargers that I had been using, and they were 700ma, while the new chargers are 750ma. Might not be an issue right off, but over time, it could cause a problem. I don't know for sure, but I had a bricked 9850, and I used the old charger off and on. It was on the old charger when it bricked. That's the only thing I could figure out.

Hope it works out for you.
    12-17-11 10:43 AM
    Hi Guys, my friends also facing the same problem.. He was using the original charger which came with the phone.. When he charged overnight, it won't turn on, no charging indication, flashing red led only...

He already bring it to the service center, and they said the problem only with os installed.. But after several days, his ? dead again with the same symptoms...

Btw, his 9850 comes from Sprint.. Is the quality sooo baddd with this version or whatttt??? I can not believe that RIM can issue ? like thisss with poor quality inside...

Any suggestion??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-18-11 07:22 PM
    Hi Guys, my friends also facing the same problem.. He was using the original charger which came with the phone.. When he charged overnight, it won't turn on, no charging indication, flashing red led only...

He already bring it to the service center, and they said the problem only with os installed.. But after several days, his ? dead again with the same symptoms...

Btw, his 9850 comes from Sprint.. Is the quality sooo baddd with this version or whatttt??? I can not believe that RIM can issue ? like thisss with poor quality inside...

Any suggestion??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    There's on ongoing thread that covers this top...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9850-a-657899/

I have a 9850 on Sprint as well. I've had this freeze/lock-up three times. The common culprit seemed to be charging the phone overnight after the battery had been drained the day before. A battery pull, removing the battery and putting it back in, solved the problem each time for me.

I recently updated to version 7.1 of the OS and have tried two times to cause the phone to have this problem. No issues.
    12-18-11 10:54 PM
    Just had an employee bring me his dead BB 9860 doing the exact same thing. (Charged phone with BB charger that came with phone and when he woke up next morning, it wouldn't power on and LED just blinks). Phone was purchased 22 days ago and luckily will be getting replaced since it's in AT&T Buyers remorse time period. They didn't walk me through any troubleshooting steps at all. That's horrible to know this issue is going on because I got a 9860 the same day as the one that crapped out. Hope it doesn't happen to mine too!
    01-03-12 10:44 AM
    Has nothing to do with applications, or the charger. Can't believe people talking about this - see answers above and posts in threads noted above. AND its not just the 9850/9860. This is far more prevalent with the 9900/9930 AND HAS BEEN ADMITTED BY RIM. So, for those out there trying to point fingers at users - you need to stop. Poster above - The 9850/9860 is a typical BB in terms of software/hardware build over the last 2-3 years. If you are administering a BES you know this to be true.

The software/hardware parts are not working together. Why? Because as has been pointed out for the last 2-3 years, the working groups are all seperated and not working together. Their programming is simply compiled at the end of the day. Competeing code against processes in JAVA is a recipe for handheld nightmares. And as the OS has grown sufficiently more complex from OS5 on, the rate of these issues has grown exponentially. Add in the entirety of a new input system which requires its own set of security and permissions (touch screen) and build it separetly from the group that works on the settings and interoperability of the smart accessories, and they are building separate and distinct from other teams..., well you get the idea. Smart idea = have expert groups work on the items they're best at. Bad idea = not having tire team and transmission teams work together and hoping that all differences can be fixed at the end.
    Last edited by 1magine; 01-03-12 at 11:42 AM.
    01-03-12 11:38 AM
    As far as accusing the chargers goes. I checked all my chargers back to the 8520 and they are all 750mha. That's models 9860,9800,9700, and 8520.
    Now that I have said that. I would like to point out that my truck charger for my 9800 won't charge my 9860. Something is up.

01-03-12 04:48 PM
    The 9850/9860 is a typical BB in terms of software/hardware build over the last 2-3 years. If you are administering a BES you know this to be true.
    2-3 years or 2-3 months. There hasn't been a problem w/ prior devices. Why isn't all xevices suffering? If you would stop and think for a second you would see that most people that have a problem with a product seek outna place on the net to vent.
    Is there an issue? Appears so. Rim says that tbe problem is most likely tied to the os. Soo then why doesn't it do it the very 1 st time its charged? What triggers the problem? Could it be an app on the phone that was used in os6 and installed on the os7 device triggering it?
    I don't know the answer. But I can say I unbricked a 9850 and it hasn't bricked again. I've let it charge for 48 brs straight and I'm working on 72 hrs now.

01-03-12 07:45 PM
    With regards to not happening with prior devices check the pearl 8220/8230 forum and you'll see the issue is found on the 8220 series of phones with multiple problems least of which is battery dead.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-03-12 10:05 PM
    I'm a BES admin at my job. We have had five 9850's and one 9930 do this in the last two months. I'm convinced it is a software bug and not hardware. We recently began putting 7.1 on the them and so far, we haven't had a dead phone again. The battery drain is greatly increases though, at least in my experience. I was glad to read yesterday about the fix to getting the phone to boot so I could reload software. That worked great on another 9930.
    01-04-12 10:38 AM
    Hey Mc. Quick question have you located the BES policy w/r/t permissions for the 9850/9860 covering "Input Simulation"? Driving us crazy trying to pin it down.
    01-04-12 11:00 AM
    Your solution might work most of the time, but my 9860 had a hardware failure. See below.

I had the "won't power on, slowly flashing LED etc" problem with my 9860. I was on the phone with AT&T tech support, Blackberry desk, and RIM level 3 for over 3 hours.

The exact problem diagnosed by RIM is: Hardware failure, not a software problem.

We were able to replace the entire system via loader and USB cable, but after the load was complete, the PC/loader could not reconnect to the 9860. We tried with the batter in and battery out -- Battery should be reinserted at the beginning of the second phase of the system install process (can't remember what it was called.)

I received my replacement today. Put the battery in and it wouldn't power up. Plugged in charger and discovered that the battery was 100% dead. Before my old 9860 died, the battery was exhausted and I put it on the charger for over 6 hours. Apparently, my old 9860 was not allowing the battery to charge.

So, it was clearly a hardware power-supply problem. AT&T replaced it. I still have the original warranty to cover the replacement.
    Last edited by merlenmeyer; 01-04-12 at 01:21 PM.
    01-04-12 01:05 PM
    I've just experienced my 9860 won't turned on and plugged it into the charger but won't charge either. Wait for half and hour and no sign. won't turned on and the flashy light that shows it's charging wasn't there either. Took the battery out, put it back in..voila it restarting and i plugged it into the charger right away. It's on now, never let your 9860 battery drained.
    01-04-12 10:33 PM
    With regards to not happening with prior devices check the pearl 8220/8230 forum and you'll see the issue is found on the 8220 series of phones with multiple problems least of which is battery dead.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    That's not typical of Blackberrys in last 2-3 yrs is it?

01-05-12 02:03 AM
    Why RIM keep silent?
    01-06-12 04:53 AM
    Why RIM keep silent?

Statement From RIM about 9900/9930 bricking issue
    RIM confirms issue with BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930, working on a fix via software update

RIM acknowledged it. They haven't released an official fix. Upgrading the OS to 7.1 seems to resolve the issue for some, if not most. However, there is no VZW officially released 7.1 OS yet.
    01-06-12 05:39 AM
    Thanks RIM, and please leak the OS 7.1 asap. I bought a 9860 not for being a paperweight
    01-06-12 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD