I am having trouble with my PB "hanging up" when loading sites. Also weak signal when I am two floors away in the house.

I am using a 2Wire B/G router. Should I go with an N router? Any recommendations for something with better range that will give faster loading of sites?

Thanks!
    12-13-11 10:20 AM
    I had the exact same problem. I'm sure my cordless phone, microwave and baby monitor was also adding interference to that problem as well.

I had a DLink Dir-655 which was positively reviewed but had a weak range over 2 floors. I bought the Linksys E4200 which had amazing range. From 2 floors away I had at the very worst about -70db signal strength and about 3/5 wifi bars.

You might want to try a cheaper version such as the E3200 or even E2500 in case they work well enough. If not the E4200 should do the trick.
    12-13-11 10:50 AM
    ... Should I go with an N router? Any recommendations for something with better range that will give faster loading of sites?...
    You should go for a Dual Band (simultaneous) 2.4/5, supporting a/b/g/n

Good alternatives are Cisco's Linksys E4200, and NetGear N600. They both are good for Blackberry's, Samsung, fruits ....Phones and Playbooks....
    00stryder likes this.
    12-13-11 11:44 AM
    I had the exact same problem. I'm sure my cordless phone, microwave and baby monitor was also adding interference to that problem as well.

I had a DLink Dir-655 which was positively reviewed but had a weak range over 2 floors. I bought the Linksys E4200 which had amazing range. From 2 floors away I had at the very worst about -70db signal strength and about 3/5 wifi bars.
    interesting, 2 floors up my 655 gives me -65db for singal and 4/5 wifi bars. i have 3 cordless phones spaced throughout the house.
    12-13-11 12:02 PM
    The Apple Extreme routers work well and you can easily extend your network using the small Airport Express. The current Apple Extreme router is also a simultaneous dual band router.
    12-13-11 12:32 PM
    The Apple Extreme routers work well and you can easily extend your network using the small Airport Express. The current Apple Extreme router is also a simultaneous dual band router.
    So it's just the 3rd gen. model that is dual? I see those are pretty expensive: asking $150 used on CraigsList here.

I was hoping to spend somewhat less.
    12-13-11 02:08 PM
    So it's just the 3rd gen. model that is dual? I see those are pretty expensive: asking $150 used on CraigsList here.

I was hoping to spend somewhat less.
    For the Extreme, it is just the one that came out last spring that is dual channel and simultaneous. The earlier may have been dual channel, but not transmit on both at the same time. I have the current version and the one prior to it, and both work well with the playbook.

I just checked the one I am on and it is a second generation. This is the one I bought a couple years ago. When I look at the setup options, you can use 2.4ghz or 5ghz, but you must pick one. In other words, if you pick 5ghz, it will limit the devices that connect to it to only 5ghz N clients. On my Gen 3, I can connect to either network speed with my playbook. The Gen 3 brodcasts two ssids, one with a 5ghz suffix. For example, HOMENETWORK, HOMENETWORK 5ghz.

When it comes to dual channel simultaneous broadcasting, I think they are all expensive, though you never see the Apple at a discount.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-13-11 at 02:37 PM.
    12-13-11 02:29 PM
    interesting, 2 floors up my 655 gives me -65db for singal and 4/5 wifi bars. i have 3 cordless phones spaced throughout the house.
    If you look up the definition of "YMMV" there will be a picture of a router. Every house is different. You can buy the top model from each manufacturer and some will work much better than others. I ended up returning the E4200 when I signed up for telus tv/internet which comes with an all-in-one router/cable modem.

Buy a couple of routers and do some A:B testing. Try different locations as well.
    12-13-11 02:43 PM
    I have the Netgear N300 installed, and when the Cox cable guy hooked it up, he said the computers and the Playbook would all automatically connect, which they did. Even the iPod Touch Generation I connected without a problem. Anyway, I paid $30.00 for it at Best Buy on a sale, and the Cox guy said it's the same one they install when the cusomer asks Cox for the router and hookup. One thing I noticed is that I have connectivity as far as 50 yards or so from my house. It may not be an expensive or fancy model, but it works perfectly.
    12-13-11 02:45 PM
    I recommend a wireless router.
    12-13-11 03:08 PM
    Actually I have a N600 dual band and have never had a problem. I also installed a range extender in my house so i can be connected throughout.
    12-13-11 03:11 PM
    Netgear WGR614.. cheap and good.. had it for over 2 years..

Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router - Walmart.com
    12-13-11 03:26 PM
    Actually I have a N600 dual band and have never had a problem.
    My N600 is outperforming Linksys E4200 in my house.
    Where signals are dropping to -90dB with the 4200, N600 keeps it up to -75 - a Huge difference in range and speed.

//
    12-14-11 11:36 AM
    Is 2wire B/G Bell Gateway?

If so the default signal output strength is 2 or 4, boost it to 10 on your configurations and see if that helps. Its not at 20 or 40% and going to 10 is 100% but it does boost the strength a noticable amount.
    12-14-11 12:06 PM
    Is 2wire B/G Bell Gateway?

If so the default signal output strength is 2 or 4, boost it to 10 on your configurations and see if that helps. Its not at 20 or 40% and going to 10 is 100% but it does boost the strength a noticable amount.
    It was at 7, so I boosted it to 10. Let's see if that helps.

Thanks!
    12-14-11 03:25 PM
    boost it to 10 on your configurations and see if that helps. Its not at 20 or 40% and going to 10 is 100% but it does boost the strength a noticable amount.
    Would you know IF it is possible to boos the Linksys E4200 radio? the N600 can be adjusted, but is factory set to 100% ...
    12-14-11 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD