so do most of u only charge battery when its low or do you charge it everynight even if battery is more than 50%?

i know with lithium ion batteries you dont want to drain them completely but also you dont want to over charge them
    12-13-11 01:27 AM
    I charge every night. Even if the battery life suffers who cares. In a year this device will be changed by the new playbook or something other.
    Modern batteries live enought so you can get the next generation device regardless of how one charge them.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-13-11 01:30 AM
    Charge with pod every night. But wth airplane mode and standby between uses I can easily get 2 days use on full charge if needed.
    12-13-11 01:33 AM
    charge overnight.standby between uses still drains the battery though.
    12-13-11 02:07 AM
    Mine lasts me a couple days.
    12-13-11 02:16 AM
    Plugged into the fast charger every night, like it or not. I am the boss.
    You don't want to go to war with a weak battery.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-13-11 04:29 AM
    http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-330.txt

how lithium ion batteries are supposed to work versus nicad
    heres a snippit from the show...

So what is happening in Marcin's case, he's asking, if it takes three hours to charge, do I need to unplug it at the end of that time, in which case it will then switch to battery operation and discharge 10 percent by morning, or can I leave it plugged in? The answer is we have to assume the battery management technology is going to do its job. That is, it's going to work correctly. It's the battery manager; you're not. So leave it plugged in. What'll happen is it will charge the battery, the individual cells in the battery, to their cutoff voltages and then stop at the proper point. And then those three hours or eight hours, rather, while he's sleeping, it will be running off of the AC, not off the battery. So it will charge it and then not drain it. It'll be running off AC so that in the morning he disconnects it, and it's fully charged because the battery was charged but has then been floating overnight, not been discharged by not being plugged into the wall overnight.

... And remember, do not discharge lithium ion any further than you need to. Try to plug it in as much as possible.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-13-11 04:45 AM
    For my primary user tablet I allow the battery to drain all the way down to 0% and then recharge it. For the "entertainment" tablet it used to be on the rapid charging dock station almost all of the time unless I was using it somewhere else. Both tablets (BlackBerry PlayBooks) seems to have excellent battery health, 92%+, according to Battery Guru. Between these tablets the largest difference in terms of needing to recharge seems to be WiFi and Bluetooth; with these turned off the battery can last days assuming approximately 3-4 hours use each day. The primary tablet gets recharged approximately every 2-3 days depending upon use patterns and the fact WiFi and Bluetooth and Bridge are always enabled. The only downside to the battery is lack of user replacement; in a few years as battery life diminishes rather than simply replacing the battery I expect to be force to buy a newer version. Not cool for the environment; not cool for my wallet.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-13-11 04:56 AM
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
    If you really want detailed info about batteries and charging this site is loaded with information. I have always overnight charged my mobile phones and PB. The OME chargers/rapid chargers have built in battery managing. You can not over charge using a rapid charger or usb charger. By leaving it on charge overnight you insure a fully charge battery to start your day. Try not to discharge fully if possible. With that said your device will shut off before your battery fully discharges.
    SunnyFL likes this.
    12-13-11 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD