Not Even Thieves Want Your BlackBerry - Yahoo! News

this is so sad... not only is the press dissing RIM, they gotta do news on this... such haters.
    12-12-11 11:19 PM
    So it's a story about a stupid mugger? Geezz... How lame.
    12-12-11 11:25 PM
    OP why did you post this story? you are giving this "hater" exactly what he wants.

PAGEVIEWS

People need to stop reading the negative articles and then think they need to share them with everyone else on this site.
    12-12-11 11:37 PM
    It's funny they say the mugger was looking for iPhones and all those people had BlackBerries...lol. If you think about it, it doesn't sound right .
    WrightWords and JR A like this.
    12-12-11 11:56 PM
    I clicked this expecting a Rogers Wireless story. Hah.
    menaknow and Concession like this.
    12-13-11 12:28 AM
    Before this goes into some flame war about the phones, I'll just say that the robber was taking a simple business strategy in choosing his targets for theft.

Love it or hate it, you'll be able to get more money and a higher demand for an iPhone on the legal or illegal market than you will for a BlackBerry. So if you're robbing people, it (again business-sense) means that if you can rob X people before you get caught, it's better to maximize your profits. You can rob three people and the first two have a BlackBerry? Not worth your time if the 3rd person has an iPhone which you can sell for more. In fact, you could get away with robbing just the iPhone person the first time, maximizing profits per person robbed and minimize chances of getting caught.

However, on the opposite hand, this doesn't necessarily say that the phones aren't bad. Compare a similarly equipped 2003 BMW 3 series with a 2003 Ford Taurus. Both are solid cars (well made), A/C, sunroof options, etc. Essentially, they both do their job: get you from point A to point B comfortably and with space in the boot for your stuff. But, as you know, the BMW is worth more, so it might be the target of higher end theft (whereas the Taurus might be the target of lower end theft due to availability of parts needed for the car = part black market).

Hopefully you get the point here. In all honesty, it's just a business decision at the end of the day for the mugger. But really a pointless article (or common sense one) if you ask me.
    12-13-11 01:21 AM
    haha or he just wanted an iphone?
    True, it could be just preference

i've read your post and your opinion/statement looks legit for me.
    but on the other hand it would not be worth for the robber to try to steal
    a iphone if the risks are getting higher for him, for example his life?
    like he is getting knocked down on the floor with his mouth open and drooling,
    because he entered the door with iphone filled scums?
    example: robber want to rob the guy with the iphone but, he is standing 100 metres away from him.
    and the guy with the blackberry 80 metres away and the cops are on 105 metres, what should the robber do,
    take the risk being caught to get the iphone for a higher profit and being a pimp?
    and if the robber take the blackberry from 80metres and can escape from the cops,
    for a much lower profit and not being locked up in jail facing O humiliation lol.
    but you will never know as a robber, that is the risk that a robber has to take as his (business-work-sense)
    I'll admit I was trying to do a simple evaluation here. I guess it's probably moot anyway because people who are mugging other people for a trackable phone in broad daylight probably aren't considering business strategies, demands, basic economics, or risk/rewards at any high intellectual level to begin with, but just a thought.

But yes, you're correct: theoretically, there is the risk/reward and tradeoff at play here: does the robber go after the Iphone knowing he/she has a higher risk of getting caught, but if escapes, makes more money? Or do they go after the safer, cheaper bet?

We see this in nature between predator/prey relationships and competition over food sources. Interesting dynamics to be sure.

Most likely? iPhone is a hot word on the streets and sells for some money; it's a highly-valued product overall (not individually of course as others have preferences). Thus, I guess if you're going to rob, concentrate on what you know you can make a profit on.
    12-13-11 02:39 AM
    OR... maybe the robber is familiar with the strong security association with Blackberries that he just doesn't wanna go near it??

Kinda like when you put the little adt lawn sign up, pretty sure most robbers will skip your house altogether

well thats my positive spin on it!

ps go bb in columbia lol
    Last edited by msmara; 12-13-11 at 04:42 AM.
    jelp2, JR A, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    12-13-11 04:38 AM
    True, it could be just preference

I'll admit I was trying to do a simple evaluation here. I guess it's probably moot anyway because people who are mugging other people for a trackable phone in broad daylight probably aren't considering business strategies, demands, basic economics, or risk/rewards at any high intellectual level to begin with, but just a thought.

But yes, you're correct: theoretically, there is the risk/reward and tradeoff at play here: does the robber go after the Iphone knowing he/she has a higher risk of getting caught, but if escapes, makes more money? Or do they go after the safer, cheaper bet?

We see this in nature between predator/prey relationships and competition over food sources. Interesting dynamics to be sure.

Most likely? iPhone is a hot word on the streets and sells for some money; it's a highly-valued product overall (not individually of course as others have preferences). Thus, I guess if you're going to rob, concentrate on what you know you can make a profit on.
    He probably was trying to steal it for the app " My drug diary, keep track of tracks"

Or

He can rip into your bank details easier than on a BlackBerry.
    12-13-11 04:57 AM
    It's funny they say the mugger was looking for iPhones and all those people had BlackBerries...lol. If you think about it, it doesn't sound right .
    Exactly!
    I was reading the article and I didn't pay attention to the iPhone part (since we are used to lot of hate towards BB) ... but then this hit me:

The frightened student immediately took out his phone and handed it over. But it was a BlackBerry.
    Then another student suddenly appeared in the hallway...
    That student immediately pulled out his phone and handed it over. It, too, was a BlackBerry
    I don't know what was the intention of this article, but I LOLed a lot
    12-13-11 05:39 AM
    Not Even Thieves Want Your BlackBerry - Yahoo! News

this is so sad... not only is the press dissing RIM, they gotta do news on this... such haters.
    Im sorry but I laughed so hard that is very sad lmbo

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G
    snoozininsomniac likes this.
    12-13-11 05:42 AM
    But this also means that in this very small sample BlackBerry outnumbers iPhone at Columbia.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-13-11 05:57 AM
    Or maybe just maybe the mugger was smart and knew that with Blackberrys can be locked down using Protect. iPhones are easy pickings
    Blackberry_boffin and CDM76 like this.
    12-13-11 08:11 AM
    Let me get this right:

Robbers want iphones
    Students use Blackberrys

What's negative about this? I see it as positive
    12-13-11 08:26 AM
    I think this is a huge endorsement for Blackberry security.

I suspect the thieves want iPhones because they can be jailbroken to wipe the digital identity to resell them. It seems BB's can't be hacked and therefore have little value on the black market.

I guess some fool sold one and was immediately caught when the new "owner" tried to activate it and the system flagged it as stolen.

iPhones don't seem to have that "problem". LOL
    12-13-11 08:47 AM
    Good. I won't get mugged for my BlackBerry. Makes me sleep better at night
    12-13-11 08:51 AM
    Once RIM blacklists a pin, it can't be used correctly right?

And I thought the iphone, even if blacklisted, can be flashed and used on another carrier..

Maybe I'm way off, but it would make sense with the thought process of the robbers.
    12-13-11 08:58 AM
    Once RIM blacklists a pin, it can't be used correctly right?

And I thought the iphone, even if blacklisted, can be flashed and used on another carrier..

Maybe I'm way off, but it would make sense with the thought process of the robbers.
    It can be used for wifi access, and nothing can prevent that from being taken advantage of.
    12-13-11 09:26 AM
    I think this is a huge endorsement for Blackberry security.

I suspect the thieves want iPhones because they can be jailbroken to wipe the digital identity to resell them. It seems BB's can't be hacked and therefore have little value on the black market.

I guess some fool sold one and was immediately caught when the new "owner" tried to activate it and the system flagged it as stolen.

iPhones don't seem to have that "problem". LOL
    That BlackBerry offers the best security of any of these platforms is beyond dispute, but what's also beyond dispute is that if people really cared about security, RIM wouldn't be trading at $16.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    12-13-11 09:30 AM
    That BlackBerry offers the best security of any of these platforms is beyond dispute, but what's also beyond dispute is that if people really cared about security, RIM wouldn't be trading at $16.
    Maybe that's true, how sad.
    12-13-11 11:55 AM
    Or maybe just maybe the mugger was smart and knew that with Blackberrys can be locked down using Protect. iPhones are easy pickings
    App Store - Find My iPhone

Course, the one advantage the BlackBerry does have is blacklisted PINs, although to be honest both phones have unique IMEI numbers that could be blacklisted as well....
    12-13-11 12:11 PM
    This is a perfect example of why its not always good to buy things just because they are "fads". You dont want to steal my Blackberry? GOOD! I'll gladly enjoy the device I truly want. Go steal some other persons iPad or iPod... I have no problem "Going against the grain" if im happy.

Doesnt Apple have a feature like BB Protect? I know WP does also. Its nearly identical to BB Protect actually...
    Last edited by Blacklac; 12-13-11 at 12:22 PM.
    12-13-11 12:19 PM
    I clicked this expecting a Rogers Wireless story. Hah.
    LOL, same here!!
    12-13-11 12:21 PM
    App Store - Find My iPhone

Course, the one advantage the BlackBerry does have is blacklisted PINs, although to be honest both phones have unique IMEI numbers that could be blacklisted as well....
    As far as I know blocking IMEI only applies to the country the phone was sold, if the carrier even bothers.

Pin blocking is world wide.
    highos likes this.
    12-13-11 01:04 PM
    This is a perfect example of why its not always good to buy things just because they are "fads". You dont want to steal my Blackberry? GOOD! I'll gladly enjoy the device I truly want. Go steal some other persons iPad or iPod... I have no problem "Going against the grain" if im happy.

Doesnt Apple have a feature like BB Protect? I know WP does also. Its nearly identical to BB Protect actually...
    Find my iPhone is built into iOS. You can remote wipe, send yourself texts and remote lock the device.
    12-13-11 01:10 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD