View Poll Results: How do you feel about the quality?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's horrible!

27 44.26%
  • It's bareable.

27 44.26%
  • I don't use the feature.

7 11.48%
    I'm sorry but does anyone find the ability to play YouTube videos on the 4.5 OS absolutely pointless? It looks horrible, sometimes I can't even make out a face, and it has nothing to do with the original video because I've played the same YouTube videos on my computer and their quality was great.
    Look at the iPhone, plays great YouTube quality. RIM shouldn't of released the YouTube update until they perfected it.

I've had the 4.5 since it's came out and always felt this way, just now thought about posting it though. I'm sure you all feel the same way.
    09-02-08 12:26 PM
    Its is abit crappy, but can't really compare a older bb using 4.5 to the iphone, I hate the phone but its pushing at least 200mhz higher then any BB(besides bold that's not officially out in the states yet) but yeah I will agree that you tube is really a waste as of right now as far as quality goes, but it leaves room for imrpovements!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-08 01:10 PM
    RIM needs to reconsider the video size setting they have when Proxing the videos out of the Browser. A Blackberry with OS4.5 can support full screen RTSP streams... the NASA Live TV works full screen without issues. They need to resample the video size in the settings.
    09-02-08 01:25 PM
    Yea I was trying to watch youtube today, and it wasn't the quality or size that bugged me but rather the choppiness of the video and not having the ability to wait untill the video is fully downloaded b4 watching

09-02-08 08:13 PM
    I don't think this is an issue with RIM but with youtube. They are downsampling the video based on HW specs and connection speeds. The 8330 and possibly other models are perfectly capable of full screen video even streaming video. I have dabbled with sprint TV and it plays full screen streaming video and looks nice. This indicates to me it is youtube doing something to the video pre stream and not RIM on the BB end.

09-02-08 11:13 PM
    youtube on BB is horrible. Bad blurry video quality and poor streaming. I usually never watch it because it's so bad. I'm also an iPhone owner and Apple has RIM beat hands down on this.
    09-03-08 02:30 PM
    I don't think this is an issue with RIM but with youtube. They are downsampling the video based on HW specs and connection speeds. The 8330 and possibly other models are perfectly capable of full screen video even streaming video. I have dabbled with sprint TV and it plays full screen streaming video and looks nice. This indicates to me it is youtube doing something to the video pre stream and not RIM on the BB end.

Not entirely true. There have been some people who tested RTSP streaming from their own systems to the phone and while the correct resolution is set for the full screen, something still caused it to be limited in size when playing. Of course, at the same time, I've played full RTSP streams on the screen without issues from other sources, so the conclusion is still not carved in stone. Weird.
    09-03-08 03:53 PM
    I have never seen a single video on youtube that has great quality, computer or phone. The original videos get compressed either way and with the bb screen being the size it is, the audio and video will always be crap...

09-14-08 01:59 PM
    I'm sorry but does anyone find the ability to play YouTube videos on the 4.5 OS absolutely pointless? It looks horrible, sometimes I can't even make out a face, and it has nothing to do with the original video because I've played the same YouTube videos on my computer and their quality was great.
    Look at the iPhone, plays great YouTube quality. RIM shouldn't of released the YouTube update until they perfected it.

I've had the 4.5 since it's came out and always felt this way, just now thought about posting it though. I'm sure you all feel the same way.
    YouTube quality is bad but when i use Sprint TV the quality is great even when my signal is low, so i'm sure it's possible. but looking at youtube videos the size of my thumbs nail, no ma'am
    09-14-08 10:20 PM
    Seems to me that iPhone=media player. Blackberry=professional data equipped phone. Also, berries are edge, which is a slower network. Personally, with all the restrictions on iphones, and the touch screen, ill take a berry anyday. You don't think Steve Jobs has a pink pearl hidden away somewhere?

09-18-08 03:48 PM
    whatever I still can't get it to work?
    09-18-08 03:53 PM
    Also, berries are edge, which is a slower network.
    Maybe in your world or carrier... whichever you prefer.
    09-18-08 08:32 PM
    It is a nice but useless feature... Nice on 3G phones
    09-18-08 10:38 PM
    Youtube looks crappy on my VZW Curve
    09-18-08 10:41 PM
    It looks pretty crappy on my Pearly as well.
    09-18-08 10:51 PM
    Umm, it's youtube..it looks like crap PERIOD...do ya really think it's 4.5 that is causing it, cause it still looks like crap on a Bold as well.

Crappy encoded video will always look like crap, no matter how ya slice it.
    09-18-08 11:13 PM
    My main beef with the youtube streaming is that if I stream for long enough, the whole data stack craps out and wont work again until I shut down and restart all connections. (under .55)
    09-22-08 08:07 AM
    You don't think Steve Jobs has a pink pearl hidden away somewhere?

LOL,I know he does......lol too funny.
    09-22-08 07:02 PM
    Umm, it's youtube..it looks like crap PERIOD...do ya really think it's 4.5 that is causing it, cause it still looks like crap on a Bold as well.

Crappy encoded video will always look like crap, no matter how ya slice it.
    Oh, indeed. I could not have said it better.
    09-22-08 07:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD