I tried a search but could not find an answer. I just received my playbook and have not done anything with it yet. (except look at it) I am new to all of this. When I 1st set my playbook up, am I supposed to bridge it 1st or use wi fi? Does it only work with one or the other? Or can it be switched up from time to time? ALso, do I physically need a bluetooth to bridge? My phone has the capibility but I never purchased a bluetooth for my phone.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-11-11 12:23 PM
    It depends which one is enabled. Wifi is enabled by default so most likely you should be using wifi to start with. If both are enabled then you can use both at the same time, like checking emails through bridge and browsing through wifi at the same time.

To use bridge your phone will have to be a blackberry and you will have to install an app called blackberry bridge first from app world. You launch the bridge app on your phone and enables it through the simple interface, then go to playbook and enables the bridge through the setting menu, which can be accessed through the gear icon on the top right corner of your home screen. Wifi settings can be access from there too.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-11-11 12:30 PM
    Thank you. I do have a blackberry phone. It is a 9650 Bold. I hope that will work.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-11-11 12:35 PM
    Thank you. I do have a blackberry phone. It is a 9650 Bold. I hope that will work.
    Do not download the Bridge App from App World.

You are on ATT and will be charged additional charges...
    From your phone, go here to rroyy's site and download the Bridge App for your OS

RROYY - APPLICATIONS

Also, go to the link in my signature, for "Tips and Tricks for new Playbook Owners". This was compiled by people from this forum!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-11-11 at 01:05 PM.
    Willard814, kbz1960 and Shash5 like this.
    12-11-11 12:55 PM
    To actually set it up, you NEED WIFI. It will only use a wifi connection to enable your BBID, grab the latest OS (it will "demand" the latest OS and will not proceed to fully startup without it).

Since you are an AT&T customer (by your profile), do not get the Bridge app from Appworld. That version requires AT&T customers to get a separately paid Tether plan. Instead visit RROYY.com and download the Bridge app that matches your current phone's OS. If you have inadvertantly gotten the appworld version delete it, reboot and then get the one from rroyy.com.

After that you can use either wifi or bridge for certain functions interchangeably. EXCEPT you can only purchase apps from appworld using a wifi connection.

If might be nice to skip this next advice but.... there is some bug or other limitation in the current OS that can cause wifi issues if your router used the N standard. If you do run into problems with such a router, go into its settings and disable N and use b/g or similar.

Enjoy.
    12-11-11 01:02 PM
    ALso, do I physically need a bluetooth to bridge? My phone has the capibility but I never purchased a bluetooth for my phone.
    To use the bridge, your phone has bluetooth and the playbook has bluetooth. You will need to pair both to each other. No need to purchase a bluetooth.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-11-11 at 04:25 PM.
    Shash5 likes this.
    12-11-11 02:37 PM
    Thank you for all of the replies. I did not know about AT & T charges. Can't wait to set it up. I assume I need a wireless router. Any suggestions on which to buy?
    12-11-11 03:19 PM
    To use the bridge, your phone has bluetooth and the playbook has bluetooth. You will need to pair both to each other. No need to purchase a bluetooth.
    I just wanted to add to your comment to avoid any confusion.
    Bluetooth is just a way to transfer data between devices. It's not the thing that goes in your ear.

Using the browser on your phone go to this thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-4-a-621230/

Download the correct bridge app for your phone. Be sure your phone bluetooth is turned on. On your PB select the gear icon(top right). Select Blackberry bridge then setup and follow the directions.
    Good luck
    12-11-11 03:26 PM
    You could go to a mcdonalds or starbucks to set it up. They have free/open wifi. Who is your internet provider? Most will give you a wifi router.
    12-11-11 03:30 PM
    Thank you for all of the replies. I did not know about AT & T charges. Can't wait to set it up. I assume I need a wireless router. Any suggestions on which to buy?
    It all depends on your home set up (how many things you want to run on the network, etc.). I bought a D-Link dual band router. This is probably overkill, but I'm using my desktop, dish receiver, and PB on the network, all at one time LOL. Any place like Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot, etc. would be a good place to buy one. Fairly easy to set up, too (if you follow the directions, unlike me )
    12-11-11 03:41 PM
    At the most, I would be using 2 at the same time. (Computer and playbook) Most of the time, just the playbook though.
    12-11-11 03:59 PM
    Shash5 you have been given great advice so far. I would recommend once you are up and running or from your computer look at the PB forum stickys and read through the Newbie tips and tricks
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    12-11-11 04:31 PM
    From what I understand of ATT, you can use the bridge free of charge for email, contacts, etc. They disable the browsing feature however and will charge you for it. The workaround beats their attempt at gaming you and gives full use of the browser. Pretty bogus move by ATT but they are right against their available spectrum limits and I suppose they're trying to preserve whatever headroom they have left.

I have a Bold 9650 and bridging works great on it.
    12-11-11 04:57 PM
    Do not download the Bridge App from App World.

You are on ATT and will be charged additional charges...
    From your phone, go here to rroyy's site and download the Bridge App for your OS

RROYY - APPLICATIONS

Also, go to the link in my signature, for "Tips and Tricks for new Playbook Owners". This was compiled by people from this forum!
    i downloaded the bridge app on my phone from bb app world and was very disappointed i couldn't use the web while bridged. i was on the fence about adding a tethering plan for $45 but didnt think it was worth it because i'm hardly away from wifi but wanted it for those rare occassions. i am thrilled i can now use it through the bridge. WOOO HOO! Thanks for the tip.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-11-11 06:49 PM
    You can download the OTA for bridge here. Just remember to delete the bridge app from your phone and restart before downloading.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-4-a-621230/
    12-11-11 07:18 PM
    I bought the D-Link DIR-645 dual-band WiFi router and access point which is connected to my Internet cable modem. With the latest updates to the BlackBerry PlayBook software 802.11N works perfectly. The router is in the basement and the tablet gets full bars even on the second-level. Prior to the latest software update 802.11N would not hold for more than 2 minutes and I was forced into 802.11B/G only mode. These days 802.11N works flawlessly. Also, be sure to enable WPA2-PSK to encrypt communication between the tablet and router.
    12-11-11 07:29 PM
    I have a netgear dual band router. I was on the beta OS and today just put the official on it as I wasn't using any android apps or anything. So far I notice my reception is not as good as it was on the beta but not no problems otherwise so far with no change to my router set at mixed mode.
    12-11-11 07:44 PM
    I bought the D-Link DIR-645 dual-band WiFi router and access point which is connected to my Internet cable modem. With the latest updates to the BlackBerry PlayBook software 802.11N works perfectly. The router is in the basement and the tablet gets full bars even on the second-level. Prior to the latest software update 802.11N would not hold for more than 2 minutes and I was forced into 802.11B/G only mode. These days 802.11N works flawlessly. Also, be sure to enable WPA2-PSK to encrypt communication between the tablet and router.
    Tangent: So, that router works with the newest NORMAL pb OS 1.xxxx in the N mode? I've been thinking of a new router. I don't see it locally but online for about $90.
    12-11-11 09:21 PM
    Tangent: So, that router works with the newest NORMAL pb OS 1.xxxx in the N mode? I've been thinking of a new router. I don't see it locally but online for about $90.
    As does my D-Link D-825. I'm using the latest PB os 1.0.8.6067. No issue with N settings.
    12-11-11 10:29 PM
    Thanks. Interesting - neither of them are available locally - Bestbuy or Frys or Radioshack.
    12-11-11 11:43 PM
    Thanks. Interesting - neither of them are available locally - Bestbuy or Frys or Radioshack.
    Where is local for you? You might try Office Depot, Staples, or the like.
    12-11-11 11:49 PM
    Thanks - I believe Office Depot seems to have both items.

My next issue will be trying to remember my password for my DSL isp. I guess it might be time to contact them.
    12-12-11 12:34 AM
    Since there are no directions in the box for the playbook. Do I charge it at home 1st or go straight to a wi fi area since I read you have to be in a wi fi area when it 1st is turned on?
    Last edited by Shash5; 12-12-11 at 10:55 AM. Reason: new question
    12-12-11 10:44 AM
    You want to make sure you charge it fully before, or take the cord with you if you have a place to plug it in. PB will stop downloading when the battery is at 20% or less.
    Shash5 likes this.
    12-12-11 11:24 AM
    I am charging it now, the welcome screen is on but I am leaving it like that until it is charged.
    12-12-11 11:45 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD