I got caught sort today and had to spend the day in hospital but i had my trusty playbook.
    I had 92% in the bettery and watched 2 films of which were 1hr 44min each did 40 min the web 30min playing games and im down to 24%. I think that is fantastic but got my thinking like a mobile phone battery there are great for 12months then after say 24m your lucky if you get a day out of them. Any users had the PB since launch and has the batt life got worse? is there anything you could do about like get BB to replace the internal etc?
    12-09-11 02:27 PM
    Some batteries are better than others, but basically it's guaranteed to get worse year after year. That's part of the problem with soldered batteries, you can't replace it. Stored temperature and charging habits are about the only way you can reduce the gradual reduction in battery life.

They would swap your unit (assuming it's a warranty case) before they would replace the battery as I'm pretty sure it's soldered on the board.
    12-09-11 02:30 PM
    No problems - since I got mine at launch - as of today. That is to say, no decrease noticed by me. I keep my wifi and bluetooth off unless needed, and lower the brightness of my screen to about 40%. Your usage seems to be what you can expect a year from now.
    12-09-11 02:34 PM
    just a quick check, does putting on standy mode drains off the battery. i left it on standy mode overnight (about 8 hours), my playbook's battery drop from 96% to 72%. is this considered normal? i just bought my playbook few days ago. thanks
    12-09-11 08:37 PM
    just a quick check, does putting on standy mode drains off the battery. i left it on standy mode overnight (about 8 hours), my playbook's battery drop from 96% to 72%. is this considered normal? i just bought my playbook few days ago. thanks
    Yes, thats normal. There are some things you can make sure about when you use the PB to enhance your battery life, like have the applications run in paused or showcase mode when in the background, have the backlight set to the lowest possible settings, have the screen to dim faster when PB is not in use, make sure you quit some apps that might be using GPS........ that makes the battery happy.

Also make sure to do the calibration once you get your PB, let your PB drain down completely until it shuts off, and then recharge to the fullest........ also get the battery guru app its pretty neat and support is excellent.
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-09-11 at 09:13 PM.
    Nivekkevin1989 and peter9477 like this.
    12-09-11 09:09 PM
    I have had mine since April and haven't noticed any difference in run time. If you search playbook teardown on youtube you can take a look inside. It has 2 replaceable batteries. A bit more difficult then just removing a battery door but less trouble then replacing the screen on my torch.
    12-09-11 09:29 PM
    We should expect 2-3 years from these things before the battery life starts to be annoyingly short, as far as I can tell.

Currently, I don't think anyone has had theirs long enough for us to notice any trend. I think most people who've had them since launch or shortly after is probably sitting around 86% health or higher, and isn't seeing any measurable (i.e. steady) drop.

I'm sure in another six months those of us with Battery Guru will start seeing the gradual reduction in health, and maybe we can start to extrapolate a bit at that time.
    12-10-11 01:07 AM
    A couple of things: I suggest the app Battery Guru for monitoring your battery. You can extend battery life when on standby by truing off wifi and bluetooth.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-10-11 09:51 AM
    your battery drop from 92% to 24% for 3 hours of movies and 40 minutes of surfing and 30 minutes of gaming seems appropriate. I notice when I play starfront my playboook battery drops quicker and I imagine it would be based on your game resource requirements but 30 minutes of gaming could equate to 1 hr of regular usage.

we are supposed to get 10 hours of use out of the battery which I have seen time and time again.

best thing to do with playbook is never let it get too low if you can control that. Keep it plugged in whenever you can even when its at full charge. lithium ion batteries have a battery management program that turns off charging when you reach 100% then the device runs off AC until you disconnect it.
    12-13-11 05:10 AM
    I have mine from preorder and never ever did some fancy charging/discharging excersises and i have no problem with battery at all.
    12-13-11 05:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD