on the Blackberry Bold features page, there was Blackberry Maps there yesterday, now it's gone?

anyone else noticed that?
    09-02-08 08:27 AM
    Hang on, you are confusing me here... do you actually mean Orange Maps (as per the title of your post) or BlackBerry Maps?

Edit: Sorry... my bad... didn't read it properly... could have sworn it said 'Orange Maps taken off the Features page'... must be my age!
    Last edited by Montala; 09-02-08 at 09:36 AM.
    09-02-08 09:19 AM
    The OP means orange website has removed BB maps as a feature of the blackberry bold, it was definitly on there yesterday as I checked , they must be flooded with complaints. Anybody wishing to take the matter further needs to grab a copy of the orange magazine which lists BB maps as a feature!!

Good spot Oscb
    09-02-08 09:27 AM
    What a bunch of idiots.
    09-02-08 09:39 AM
    I also have been hassling Orange regarding the 'missing' Blackberry Maps issue, and yesterday (Monday 1st) finally got the following admission from the guy in Orange Technical Support, was;

Yeah, we are getting a lot of people commenting on this issue, we know its installed on the phones, but I think we are blocking the service book for the feature. I know it says on the website and magazine that the features are included, but I know its wrong. Unfortunately we cannot get our Media team to put out a statement and I know its really frustrating.

He then went on to say that it's likely the issue because Orange are releasing their own paid for Nav service.

So basically, Orange are blocking the service remotely, and have mis-sold the device.

I know it works on the device, as I had mine unlocked (got code from Orange) and when I put in my works Vodafone UK sim with a BB account, within 2 min it registering on the the network, the BB Maps icon appears on the menu!!!!

So no matter what Orange say, it is THEM.

Idiots!

regards

David
    09-02-08 09:56 AM
    Thanks for confirming that 'floatlite', and welcome to CB... it's a great place to be!

Sounds like it is time for other Orange customers to start getting a bit 'heavy' with them!
    09-02-08 10:00 AM
    They deserve it I mean seriously its offered by the manufacturer who is to say what they can do and can't. Where does this stop? I mean they do this they could just block BBM and say here try our Orange messanger for $9.95/mo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-08 10:05 AM
    Why don't all us orange customers group up and complain then, it was miss sold to me the phone, i know that much.

Surely this must be breaking some kind of trading or advertising law, i've got a screen shot saved of the orange site before they took the maps off the feature list aswell.
    09-02-08 10:10 AM
    I'm really angry actually, against my better judgement I went back to Orange for my personal BB account, as they are offering a great deal in terms of price, BUT, I returned to the shop the day after I got the handset and complained about the reception issue and the lack of maps, and was basically told to F.O., it was not their problem anymore, and the Customer Service has been next to useless, or even outright dishonest.

Now I discover that one of the features of the handset that was advertised and I even discussed with them instore, is not featured, and actively blocked, I'm even more angry.

One of the management in the store went as far as to say, and I quote' "I know the handset is buggy, but Orange were desperate to get the exclusive on the handset, and it's been launched a bit early" If that's not an admission of them selling unfit for purpose equipment I don't know what is!!

David
    09-02-08 10:10 AM
    They can update the website pretty quick when they want to, I see they removed the BB maps feature but still no update on their blackberry orange software downloads page, at present the bold is not even listed as a device!!
    09-02-08 10:24 AM
    One of the management in the store went as far as to say, and I quote' "I know the handset is buggy, but Orange were desperate to get the exclusive on the handset, and it's been launched a bit early" If that's not an admission of them selling unfit for purpose equipment I don't know what is!!

David
    I can well believe that David... there have been numerous comments made on here as to just how badly Orange handled the UK release of the Bold, as it would appear that they only had exclusivity on it until the end of August, which ended up with barely two weeks of actual 'sale time'.

On the day it was 'launched', it wasn't on their website, most of their on-line sales team hadn't even heard of it, and only the larger stores in the UK received one of two Bolds... and even the store managers didn't know they were coming! It was a real fiasco!

Now they are upsetting their customers even more by blocking or disabling certain previously advertised features... what a shower!

I am not an Orange customer myself, but agree that concerted action would appear to be necessary here.
    09-02-08 10:33 AM
    I see a new precident here. Crackberry changes the law! Seriously if they think they can do this on a device that cost $600+ people should correct them. We would stand by in that decision I mean if its advertized that the device features it and they remove it just for profit that pretty much what microsoft did with IE.
    09-02-08 10:49 AM
    Was thinking of moving my contracts from Voda to Orange. Will definitely stay put now,
    09-02-08 11:01 AM
    Was thinking of moving my contracts from Voda to Orange. Will definitely stay put now,
    Good idea... vote with your feet!

Especially as Vodafone will be offering the Bold on their consumer tarifs in a couple of days time!
    09-02-08 11:13 AM
    Here is a reply from Orange in response to an email I sent them on 26th August accusing them of mis-selling the BOLD and of the phone having a pants battery life...

Dear Alex Thank you for your mail. I can advise that he Blackberry Bold will support Blackberry maps but Orange are reliant on Blackberry releasing the software. I would advise you to keep an eye on Blackberry's website where the software will be available to download once it is released. I can appreciate that this must be disappointing. As your network provider Orange are committed to assisting you in making full use of your Blackberry and will be pleased to assist you on any connectivity issue. Regrettably, the phone has been launched without the maps software being released. We do anticipate this being available soon but are unable to advise of a date. With regard to the battery life, I can advise that the Bold should have a talktime of up to 5 hours and standby time of up to 310 hours. If you find that your phone is not reaching these levels then please contact us again where we will be pleased to run a diagnostics. I thank you for your patience in this matter. Kind regards ShellyOrange Customer Services
    09-02-08 11:34 AM
    just now awaiting a response to my reply, which went as follows:-

Many thanks for your reply.

With regards to the Blackberry Maps subject.... I have heard from another Blackberry Bold owner that a technical services representative from Orange has intimated that the Blackberry Maps software is installed on the Blackberry Bold, but the Orange service books deliberately block it... the reason being that Orange are soon to launch a pay Nav' service (similar to the recently-launched Garmin service).

Blackberry Maps is installed on the Bold as users of Bold phones in the US have this functionality. There are also one or two Orange customers in the UK who have successfully 'unlocked' their Orange-supplied Blackberry Bolds to find that the Blackberry Maps feature becomes accessible when a different service provider's SIM is installed.

So please forgive me for questioning your earlier response about it being 'Blackberry's fault' and come back to me with a straight answer as to whether I am to get the service originally 'sold' to me or whether I will be stung for an addition subscription fee in due course.

Kind regards
    09-02-08 11:41 AM
    Someyhing (well a few things actually) don't sound quite right there!

Do we actually know, for example, that RIM released any Bolds without BlackBerry maps being incorporated, as I thought that this was one of the built in applications on this particular phone?

Sounds like a load of bulls **** to me!

Edit: Good reply Alex!
    09-02-08 11:44 AM
    Here is a reply from Orange in response to an email I sent them on 26th August accusing them of mis-selling the BOLD and of the phone having a pants battery life...

Dear Alex Thank you for your mail. I can advise that he Blackberry Bold will support Blackberry maps but Orange are reliant on Blackberry releasing the software. I would advise you to keep an eye on Blackberry's website where the software will be available to download once it is released.
    This is almost exactly what I've just been told on the phone, too. Naive to believe him? The chap was excellent, and was really trying to help. YMMV.

Tbh, I'm a bit more inclined that this is going to get resolved soon. Hopefully without us having to use our wallets!
    09-02-08 11:48 AM
    Do we actually know, for example, that RIM released any Bolds without BlackBerry maps being incorporated, as I thought that this was one of the built in applications on this particular phone?
    I think everyone here would agree that their Bold [from Orange] has Maps installed, and the Service Book is installed/whatever you call it.
    09-02-08 11:51 AM
    That's what I thought... so she is telling 'porkies' then!
    09-02-08 11:52 AM
    It's very easy to check the handset to see if BB Maps is installed.

Go to 'Options', then 'Advanced Options', then 'Applications' You should see 'Blackberry Maps 4.6.0' installed, usually 4th in the list.

If you then check 'Options', then 'Advanced Options', then scroll to 'Service Book' you will see a list of Service Books, scroll down and you should see 'Blackberry Maps - EU[LbsConfig]'

This is the BB Maps Service Book.

If you also check 'Options', then 'Advanced Options', then scroll to 'Maps', it should read, 'Default Service: Blackberry Maps - EU'

This indicates that the Service Books for the Maps is installed and configured correctly on the device.

So for Orange to say that the Application is not installed on the device from Blackberry, is frankly, BS!

I now have a copy of the screen shot of the Orange site that specifies the features, and I also have the catalouge.

My legal dept are going to have a little 'extra curricular activity' to amuse themselves with!

David
    09-02-08 01:16 PM
    David, how did you get Orange to unlock your phone?

They've given me the old 'can't unlock for 3 months' cobblers.
    09-02-08 02:04 PM
    As you say David, they are obviously installed, but it would appear that Orange have in fact chosen to disable them... presumably by means of a SIM update.

I have a feeling that they might just be heading for a re-think on this one!
    09-02-08 02:13 PM
    Just called Orange to add my name to the list of unhappy customers. The business support team agrees that the BB maps application should be enabled but Orange in it's wisdom have decided to disable it, probably with a view to push for a paid service!!
    09-03-08 04:17 AM
    This isn't just Bold-specific, BbMaps doesn't work or is not available on my Orange Pearl either. Seems a real balls up to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 04:32 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD