So after seeing that 7.1 dropped, I purchased a 9900. I downloaded 7.1.0.74. I couldn't get it to load. I saw on the 9810 thread that .540 was needed before you could load 7.1. I downloaded 540, installed it. However, I still can't get 7.1 to install...

Here is what I am doing:
    Add remove programs, and remove all installed versions
    install 7.1 on the pc
    delete vendor.xml
    plug in bb 9900
    run loader

The only option that comes up is to install wireless music sync.

Any ideas?

Without 7.1, I can't use this phone as I depend on wifi calling at my location.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bzflagace; 12-08-11 at 09:38 PM.
    12-08-11 04:24 PM
    You don't need .540 installed, that's only for the 9810 installer.

Looks like you have a 2nd hidden vendor.xml file on your PC...
    its usually here:- C:/Users/your username/AppData/Roaming/Research In Motion/BlackBerry/Loader XML

Find it, delete it, and try again.
    andreirad likes this.
    12-08-11 04:37 PM
    I am on windows XP so I don't have a /Users/ directory. I did a complete search for vendor.xml and I don't see any other instances on my PC... Any other ideas?
    12-08-11 04:43 PM
    after u add remove installed program from control panel did u delete the one in loader files??
    its in C:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files
    12-08-11 05:11 PM
    I am on windows XP so I don't have a /Users/ directory. I did a complete search for vendor.xml and I don't see any other instances on my PC... Any other ideas?
    What folders do you have under C:\? Program Files, Windows, etc. You're looking for App Data, which is a hidden folder located in the same folder as My Documents, Downloads, My Music and the rest of your user data.
    12-08-11 05:29 PM
    Go to folders and make sure that show hidden files and folders is enabled. Then search the c: drive including hidden files and folders is checked for vendor.xml.

EDIT: I just found this link with what looks like a great tool to find them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...emover-673344/
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-08-11 at 05:50 PM. Reason: add link
    12-08-11 05:36 PM
    "i wouldn't advise people to delete their venbor.xml file, just rename it and leave it where it is,just incase you need to go back to your original phone OS. all you need to do is just go to C drive search for vendor.xml and rename it. now open desk top manager then you should see the new OS 7.1 e.c.t. if it's not to your liking all you have to do is go back and search for vendor.xml file with the rename that you gave it to reinstall your original OS.
    vendor.xml just put any letter in front of it, like Dvendor.xml"

there is 2 hidden vendor.xml
    Last edited by Bravo-_-; 12-08-11 at 07:03 PM.
    12-08-11 06:58 PM
    "i wouldn't advise people to delete their venbor.xml file, just rename it and leave it where it is,just incase you need to go back to your original phone OS. all you need to do is just go to C drive search for vendor.xml and rename it. now open desk top manager then you should see the new OS 7.1 e.c.t. if it's not to your liking all you have to do is go back and search for vendor.xml file with the rename that you gave it to reinstall your original OS.
    vendor.xml just put any letter in front of it, like Dvendor.xml"
    People have been deleting it with no adverse affects for a few years, and people have been advising to do so for about the same length of time.
    12-08-11 07:04 PM
    I have been looking everywhere. I have done searches. I have looked in the locations mentioned above. I have emptied the trash. I can't find a vendor.xml file anywhere. Is this the only thing that will prevent you from loading a new OS?
    12-08-11 07:28 PM
    OK reread your OP. Are you trying to install the hybrid for the 9810 on a 9900?
    12-08-11 07:32 PM
    No. I am just trying to install 7.1.0.74 for the 9900 on my 9900.
    12-08-11 07:34 PM
    Is this the only thing that will prevent you from loading a new OS?
    Usually, yes. Reboot your PC and try again. If it still doesn't work, then you definitely have a hidden vendor file somewhere.

Search for it and delete it.
    12-08-11 07:38 PM
    Open a cmd prompt as admin and type c:\ then hit enter. Then insert dir vendor.xml /s /p

It will show you where they are so you can delete them. Of course again you will probably need hidden files and folder set to show.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-08-11 at 07:43 PM. Reason: made space
    12-08-11 07:43 PM
    I have tried all of these suggestions. I have tried searching hidden files 3 different ways. I have tried the downloaded vendelete.exe program. I have tried the cmd prompt in my login and as administrator. I cannot find any other vendor.xml files. I have found a vendor.xsl but it is for a license file for a different program. Willing to try any other suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks again in advance.
    12-08-11 08:21 PM
    Have you tried taking your computer offline?
    12-08-11 08:26 PM
    Yes I tried that as well. I disabled my wifi so that non of the shared drives could be seen.
    12-08-11 08:51 PM
    I'm at loss unless you downloaded the wrong OS. Have you opened DM and let it download the dumb wifi video sync? May be dumb but might help?
    12-08-11 08:57 PM
    First of all, thanks for all of you who read this and tried to help!

I finally figured it out. I tried to use the DM instead of the loader to load the OS. Once there I selected my local OS and it then gave an error saying that this was a new build and required the user to have a service plan. I looked on their website and it said the same.

I was trying to update this phone prior to moving over from my 9700. As such, I had not yet put a SIM card in the phone. What threw me off though, was with .540 I was able to upgrade with out the SIM card. Apparently though with 7.1, you must have a service plan to upgrade.

Once I inserted my SIM card, the loader.exe worked perfectly.

So the answer is, you must have an active SIM card inserted in the phone to upgrade to 7.1.

Thanks again!
    hyperscorpic likes this.
    12-08-11 09:22 PM
    Go to folders and make sure that show hidden files and folders is enabled. Then search the c: drive including hidden files and folders is checked for vendor.xml.

EDIT: I just found this link with what looks like a great tool to find them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...emover-673344/
    I loaded without deleting the vendor file to my Bold 9900 from Telus with no issues at all. I wonder why some people have to delete those files and others don't.
    12-08-11 10:07 PM
    So the answer is, you must have an active SIM card inserted in the phone to upgrade to 7.1.
    4 hours struggling to install os7.1, this helped!!!!!!! Thanks!
    Last edited by hyperscorpic; 03-03-12 at 04:26 AM.
    03-03-12 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD