I know this topic has been discussed million times. So far based on what I've read and there is no way to disable the touch screen on the 9900/9930.

Fine. Let me ask you smart guys - is there any other way to make the phone not respond to my finger other than wearing a glove? Is there any clear screen protector in the market that would block the touch sensor? I will buy it today. Yes, I am THAT anti touchscreen.

Why? Because I can type very fast on a BB keyboard even faster than someone type on a PC. I never found a real need for touchscreen for BB if you don't play games.
    12-07-11 05:29 PM
    Unless someone sells a static cling sheet of non-conductive, transparent plastic, nope.

It would be easier to just get one of the new curve models instead...
    12-07-11 05:34 PM
    Why buy a phone with a touch screen if you don't like it?? Some people really baffle me
    pcgizmo#IM, frifred and Yaceka like this.
    12-07-11 05:41 PM
    I would suggest the obvious, which is not to use it. Personally, I find it much faster than clicking the BB menu and scrolling down.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-07-11 05:45 PM
    Why buy a phone with a touch screen if you don't like it?? Some people really baffle me
    I like everything about BB except its touchscreen approach. Why 9930? Because it is the latest and greatest. Apple is trying to lead the world with touch screen? I don't get it. Touchscreen can never be more practical and accurate than real keyboard.
    12-07-11 06:44 PM
    You can disable it, mentally. Just keep telling yourself there is no touchscreen. Not to be a ****, but seriously JUST DON'T USE IT.
    cleveland216 likes this.
    12-07-11 06:49 PM
    You can disable it, mentally. Just keep telling yourself there is no touchscreen. Not to be a ****, but seriously JUST DON'T USE IT.
    Got it
    Except my face, finger, and my **** keep touching the forbidden area
    gordonzhao likes this.
    12-07-11 06:58 PM
    You can easily disable it...take a knife...put the tip on the touch screen and hit the back of the knife hard. Permanently disabled touchscreen...oh you wanted to still be able to see the screen? scratch that idea...
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    12-07-11 07:04 PM
    Give it a chance. I was anti-touchscreen, especially for typing, but in many cases it's actually very useful. Using the trackpad, keyboard, and touchscreen can be very efficient for certain combinations of button pushes and tasks. It is very intuitive and I had no trouble switching from a non-touch device to the 9900, so at least give it a shot before you knock it.

edit: I read your post again and to be frank, it's completely illogical. This is the first berry that has a keyboard AND touchscreen, so the fact that you can type fast on BB keyboards has nothing to do with the other uses for the touchscreen (item/text selection and scrolling). Do you even have the phone yet? I don't see what the issue is.

PS. The lock button is there for a reason, and it works very well.
    Last edited by profanity; 12-07-11 at 07:16 PM.
    12-07-11 07:05 PM
    I like everything about BB except its touchscreen approach. Why 9930? Because it is the latest and greatest. Apple is trying to lead the world with touch screen? I don't get it. Touchscreen can never be more practical and accurate than real keyboard.

The 99xx doesn't allow you to type via touch, so I'm not sure what your issue is?

Additionally, there is no question that navigating via touch is faster and more efficient than any other method used by RIM in the past (wheel, ball or trackpad). Give it a try and you'll adjust quickly.
    12-07-11 07:25 PM
    Try putting it at the lowest sensitivity setting, then start adding screen protectors till it quits. For some reason I am reminded of the guy in Time Bandits who tried to soak his member off in olive oil.
    12-07-11 10:11 PM
    Nope, no possible way to disable it, unless you wanna chance it with a knockoff HEGA (480x360) display that is lower resolution than the high res screen you already have. Lol
    12-07-11 10:33 PM
    Buy a Chinese Bluberry, 2 sims slots, tv, and fm radio. And best of all, No Touch Screen! I have a string hooked to my cars carburator because I hate pushing the pedal with my foot. Does the Op really even have a BB? I call Bullsh*t!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-11 07:38 AM
    Just don't buy it. Based on this post of yours, I don't think the Bold is for you. Get another model.

Edited for kindness.
    Last edited by decypher44; 12-08-11 at 09:45 AM.
    12-08-11 09:20 AM
    Buy a Chinese Bluberry, 2 sims slots, tv, and fm radio. And best of all, No Touch Screen! I have a string hooked to my cars carburator because I hate pushing the pedal with my foot. Does the Op really even have a BB? I call Bullsh*t!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ..don't forget about the built-in mini kegerator and microwave too.
    12-08-11 04:31 PM
    Open up the phone and disable the digitizer by detaching the ribbon cable.

Or just don't use it and keep the warranty active.
    2c likes this.
    12-08-11 05:00 PM
    I know this topic has been discussed million times.

is there any other way to make the phone not respond to my finger other than wearing a glove?
    Quick answer would be don't touch it Another idea (not sure if it would work) In options>typing and language>touchscreen sensitivity - why don't you fool around with the hover time and see if that helps somewhat ?
    12-08-11 05:07 PM
    Stole the words right from my brain!
    12-08-11 05:53 PM
    Why? Because I can type very fast on a BB keyboard even faster than someone type on a PC. I never found a real need for touchscreen for BB if you don't play games.
    Ok so how is typing an issue because there is NO virtual keyboard for 99xx. So you don't HAVE to use the touchscreen if u don't want to.

Why would u even get one with a touchscreen if you hate it so much? By the way 99xx isn't so latest and greatest as were told to expect from RIM.
    12-08-11 06:00 PM
    Question baffled me too...but it gives me a chance to comment on what I think is one of the best features of this phone is that you really don't have to use the touch screen if you don't want to! Everything that I can think of can be done using the trackpad and the buttons. That might be a more interesting question...is anyone aware of a function (other than within some games that don't count anyway) that you have to use the touchscreen for? Thank you RIM for making a device where the user can interface in more than one way according to his preferences.
    12-08-11 06:09 PM
    Seriously? Why'd you get a 9930 if you dont like touchscreen phones? LOL. You should've gone with the Curve ones. And just like everyone said, just don't use the touchscreen.
    12-08-11 06:32 PM
    I "get" what the OP is saying.

When I first fired up the 9900, the screen went haywire, no matter how I had the settings. After a bit, I have it working, but the touch screen is still a bit of a PIA. I'm happy with the keyboard, the keyboard is the reason that I bought the phone.

I have a feeling that I may slowly start using the touchscreen more, but it is an adjustment.

As for why someone would buy a Bold instead of a Curve, even if they don't like the touchscreen? Seriously? It's a much better phone! (well, except for the camera )
    12-08-11 09:58 PM
    There's an app for that..... Wait never mind no there's not hahaha
    12-08-11 10:20 PM
    I posted in another thread about disabling the touch screen and I agree (and I own a 9900).

How do you compose a message from the touch screen only? How do you bring up the menu that you usually hit the BlackBerry menu button with the touch screen? Seriously, tell me if you know. I do not know.

The interface of BB 7 hasn't changed enough to be navigable by the touch screen. So much relies on the hard buttons that I end up staying with using the trackpad as it's easier.

Thanks for any info.

-m
    12-08-11 10:55 PM
    as the majorty has said, just don't use it, you actually can pretty learn it yourself to stop use it.
    if you like everything about the bb that's good, nowadays all stuffs is going to be more touch based, so i think you can't escape from that.
    Guys, don't get me wrong. I love my 9930 and BB more than any other brand in the market. Why? Because BB gives you full control of your phone. It is a pocket computer for me. I can do nearly everything on my 9930 without a computer. Can the king of touchscreen (iPhone) do it? Not nearly. I couldn't even get the SMS to mute while having normal ringtone.

Anyways, not being able to disable touchscreen is not going to make me lose the love of my 9930. It is by far the best BB in the history. Thank you guys.
    12-09-11 11:36 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD