Well its been one helluva ordeal, and Im still at a loss.

I looked up a tut saying to use Handbrake. I tried it but Handbrake refused to convert my legally owned DVD (maybe it plays nice with copy protections built in, thus if any is on there it wont let you do it), kept screwing up at the title (movie Im trying to convert is Troy). Handbrake failed me, and thus the tutorial on converting to Playbook failed me. However, after doing a little research on Playbook video formats, MP4 and h.264 codecs are supported, pretty standard codecs, so I decided to go another route with converting the DVD.

I downloaded VLC Media Player, and it converts the DVD and works like a charm. It took about the whole length of the movie to do so (not sure if its because my PC is outdated now or if its just the way it handles the conversion in real time). My PC plays the video fine, no chapters or nothing just the raw movie, able to go through the whole thing.

Then it comes to getting it onto the playbook. I downloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager, and after many, many attempts the computer finally decided to install it. Then it took a couple tries for it to even detect the playbook. Then although I could do my backup onto the PC, it absolutely REFUSED to let me move the video file to the playbook. I rebooted my PC, figured maybe BDM needed me to do a reboot. Still wouldnt work. Tried the convert option, still didnt work. Turned OFF convert THEN it decided to work.

Copied the file over now, it plays, at about the 1min30sec mark, it just stops, right after a fade to black transition. I was pretty puzzled because I could skip to about the 4 min mark and play from there, and no other areas of the movie seemed to not load. I went to the file on the PC version and played on my PC, no issues with the movie, it plays just fine there.

I hate how back asswards Blackberry Desktop Manager is and how much suffering it was to get the video on the Playbook, only for it to not work as its supposed to. Is the length of the movie anything to do with it (2 hrs 40 mins)? Any tips?
    12-05-11 09:54 PM
    I have never had issues installing Manager on my windows pc and macbook air. I am unsure if its your cord or your pc based on what you told me. If i were you I would download troy from online since you have a legal copy and move it over. i cant never seem to encode and sync quite as effectively as the people online
    12-05-11 10:36 PM
    Why not just drag and drop the video in the pb's correct folder? When you plug it in the pb should show up as drive Z.
    12-05-11 10:44 PM
    I move my video files over using my wireless network. Just type\\192.168.X.XX (your pb IP address), and a window will open. Double click media files, then download folder. In a second window, open your media folder containing your movie file that you want to move to the pb. Then drop that file into your pb window and wait for your wireless to finish moving it over. I move multiple files over at the same time using this method while i check my mail on the pb. Works like a charm...
    12-06-11 12:08 AM
    and most importantly, don't forget to turn on file sharing.
    12-06-11 05:07 AM
    HandBrake will not break the encryption on the dvd, giving you the scrambled video. You need to allso run another program at the same time. I am not going to post the program link here but google should have no problem finding it.
    12-06-11 08:02 AM
    the pb wont play avi witb ac3 audio which i hope they fix.itwont play mkv either.converting movies just to watch on pb is so silly.they need some up to date out if the dark age codecs
    12-06-11 08:20 AM

I downloaded VLC Media Player, and it converts the DVD and works like a charm. It took about the whole length of the movie to do so (not sure if its because my PC is outdated now or if its just the way it handles the conversion in real time). My PC plays the video fine, no chapters or nothing just the raw movie, able to go through the whole thing.

AFAIK VLC does not encode video files.....It is merely playback software.

I think you need to revisit the Handbrake tutorial and try it again.
    12-06-11 08:46 AM
    To remove macrovision protection on DVD's and convert them to dvd format(they then need to be converted to avi or what have you for viewing on the PB), I like and regularly use dvddecryptor. Pretty sure if you google it and dig hard enough you can still find it. Works in a matter of minutes not hours like others.
    12-06-11 08:51 AM
    Magicdvdripper! There are many formats to rip to (I use "Apple TV" format). Hook your PB into your computer and click and drag your videos on to your PB. Works great, very simple.
    12-06-11 10:05 AM
    I like DVD Catalyst 4.0
    12-06-11 10:31 AM
    If i were you I would download troy from online since you have a legal copy and move it over.
    i'm confused here...what do you mean download from online because they have a legal copy??...are you saying i can go "somewhere", "anywhere" that offers the movie for purchase and get it free because i own the actual dvd at home?? i own terminator 2, can i go to amazon and download it for free and it will play without a problem on my playbook??
    12-06-11 11:48 AM
    Simple instructions if you own an actual DVD to convert to MP4:
    You need to "rip" it to MP4 format on your PC using a converting program. I use FoxReal because it is simple to use and it has an actual Playbook setting. It's not "free" but I like it because it is "simple to use":
    Best DVD Ripper CUDA - Rip DVD IFO/ISO to AVI/MP4/iPad/Droid X/Xoom/Nook Color

After you have successfully "ripped" it, you have to put it on your Playbook. The easiest way to put it on your PB is thru wifi. Good simplified instructions are here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...r-wi-fi-661022
    12-06-11 12:37 PM
    i'm confused here...what do you mean download from online because they have a legal copy??...are you saying i can go "somewhere", "anywhere" that offers the movie for purchase and get it free because i own the actual dvd at home?? i own terminator 2, can i go to amazon and download it for free and it will play without a problem on my playbook??
    No, you cannot do that.

There is a philosophy that if you own the dvd, that you are entitled to use it in anyway you want and therefore, if it is on site torrent site or similar, you would be "justified" in grabbing it. Obviously, Amazon does not know if you own a dvd movie or not and will sell you an electronic copy (do they sell them?) or rent you one.
    12-06-11 02:40 PM
    To remove macrovision protection on DVD's and convert them to dvd format(they then need to be converted to avi or what have you for viewing on the PB), I like and regularly use dvddecryptor. Pretty sure if you google it and dig hard enough you can still find it. Works in a matter of minutes not hours like others.
    That is my workflow. DVDdecryptor puts the DVD on my hard drive. From there, Handbrake converts it to an mp4 with stereo audio. Plug the PB into my usb port and drag the file to the video folder. Plays back just fine. Done this over and over, with many DVDs.
    downphoenix likes this.
    12-06-11 02:55 PM
    No, you cannot do that.

There is a philosophy that if you own the dvd, that you are entitled to use it in anyway you want and therefore, if it is on site torrent site or similar, you would be "justified" in grabbing it. Obviously, Amazon does not know if you own a dvd movie or not and will sell you an electronic copy (do they sell them?) or rent you one.
    well the "piracy opposer" made it sound like you could in his explanation....anyhow, that "philosophy" is a load of hagwash in my book. there is no way i would willingly download a movie i already have on dvd and have it use up my bandwidth seeing as how it would take me about 6hrs to download it. it would be quicker for me to rip the one i have and transfer it.
    12-06-11 04:45 PM
    Type this phrase into Google: DVD Decrypter file mirror
    12-06-11 05:00 PM
    +1 on DVD Catalyst 4.0. Excellent program and very easy to use. It even has a conversion setting for PlayBook. Just insert the DVD in the DVD drive and the program recognizes it. The conversion process doesn't take much time, then just copy/move the file over to the PlayBook. I believe the program costs $19.95, so it's well worth it.
    12-06-11 05:15 PM
    AFAIK VLC does not encode video files.....It is merely playback software.

I think you need to revisit the Handbrake tutorial and try it again.
    Actually it does, and it worked fine. The video plays just fine on my pc, 720x480 ntsc mp4/aac (not ac3) and MOST of the video works fine on the playbook, just the issue where I cant play a couple of minutes.

Why not just drag and drop the video in the pb's correct folder? When you plug it in the pb should show up as drive Z.
    It wont allow me to do that for some reason. I am on vista premier x64 and have admin access if that helps.

If i were you I would download troy from online since you have a legal copy and move it over. i cant never seem to encode and sync quite as effectively as the people online
    I would but my ISP goes after people with a lot of bandwidth use and visits pirate sites like that. I already meet the first criteria, dont want to open up the second.

------------------------------

As far as everyone else's suggestions Ill see what works and report back, depending on if my wife lets me on the pc soon, lol, glad I got the pb as other than some productivity and game software it does everything I use on the pc.
    12-07-11 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD