It has been a great device.

Congrats to RiM for producing a heavyweight tablet.
    JK-PhD, jafobabe, farskija and 4 others like this.
    12-05-11 07:33 PM
    ^heavyweight it isn't like ipad.
    12-05-11 07:38 PM
    ^heavyweight it isn't like ipad.
    That's true. The PB has less mass but is truly robust.
    12-05-11 07:40 PM
    I got mine in April as well. I have gotten pretty much daily use of it, never runs out of power, never have problems connecting to wifi, pretty much does all of what I want it to.

Just an hour ago I had a sweet video chat with my daughter who is away snowboarding.

Its been an excellent purchase for me.
    dimm0k likes this.
    12-05-11 07:42 PM
    Mine has been also since July.

Shoots, what happened to your other similar thread?
    12-05-11 07:46 PM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I got mine in April as well. I have gotten pretty much daily use of it, never runs out of power, never have problems connecting to wifi, pretty much does all of what I want it to.

Just an hour ago I had a sweet video chat with my daughter who is away snowboarding.

Day 1 owner too! .. use it daily all over the world in my business and travels .. love it!!
    12-05-11 07:54 PM
    i spent a good portion of that 6 months checking for new software updates daily. i've since stopped.
    12-05-11 07:57 PM
    Day 1 owner too! .. use it daily all over the world in my business and travels .. love it!!
    Sounds good!

By the way, I meant to use the handle "Most Beautiful Woman in the World and Filthy Rich," but I decided go with "barskin."
    12-05-11 07:58 PM
    One of the things I value my PB for is its performance in poor reception areas. While it's not the PB itself that hauls in the signal which is of course its partners doing, I have seen the dynamic duo outperform the leading competitor's 3g tablet in poor coverage situations. This capability is great up at the cottage.
    CracklePot likes this.
    12-05-11 08:19 PM
    i spent a good portion of that 6 months checking for new software updates daily. i've since stopped.
    Took ya that long? Dang were you desperate. They come when they come and at least I'm enjoying mine for what it does and does well until then.
    12-05-11 08:20 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Sounds good!

By the way, I meant to use the handle "Most Beautiful Woman in the World and Filthy Rich," but I decided go with "barskin."
    hahaha LOL !
    12-05-11 08:26 PM

ok i have a question i just got my pb and today was the first time really using it and te battery life wasnt all tat great. it was dead after about 4 hrs. any suggestions to make it last longer?
    12-05-11 08:28 PM
    ok i have a question i just got my pb and today was the first time really using it and te battery life wasnt all tat great. it was dead after about 4 hrs. any suggestions to make it last longer?
    Run your PB until it shuts off and then charge to 100%. You should easily get a day's worth of steady use from the battery.
    12-05-11 08:36 PM
    I second that. Clearly, RIM has made a huge sacrifice to deliver the PlayBook.
    Yes the playbook is the sacrificial lamb to the phone line but will be resurrected (for RIM) since it is good as is once it is completed and the phone line shall prosper due to the playbooks sacrifice.
    12-05-11 08:45 PM
    Lower the light level. If may take some charging cycles to get the battery up to snuff. I believe that they fixed the Video Chat ACCEPTANCE screen - that chewed up batteries if you did not agree promptly.

Shorten the timeout/standby options. And what were you running? Some games really burn through the battery.
    12-05-11 08:48 PM
    Run your PB until it shuts off and then charge to 100%. You should easily get a day's worth of steady use from the battery.
    when i got it was totally dead...which was fine. i charged it to 100% and then today i used it and got about 5 hours before i got to 8% should i tweek some settings?
    12-05-11 08:49 PM
    oh yeah i was playing games. and then trying to use the wifi. does bridging suck down the battery?
    12-05-11 08:51 PM
    when i got it was totally dead...which was fine. i charged it to 100% and then today i used it and got about 5 hours before i got to 8% should i tweek some settings?
    At 5%, your PB could run for another two hours (tested mine several times in the first few weeks of ownership and ran it for 2 hours from when the gauge indicated 0%). The battery gauge is just an approximation.
    12-05-11 08:55 PM
    I'm constantly connect to bridge but it doesn't use much when your not doing anything with it. Now my phones battery goes fast while using bridge and surfing on the playbook but the playbook battery isn't as effected as the phone.

In an 8 hour period I will be surfing etc. over bridge for about 30 to 40 minutes every hour. At the end the playbook will have 20 to 30% life left but I will have all ready put my phone on the charger.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-05-11 08:55 PM
    oh yeah i was playing games. and then trying to use the wifi. does bridging suck down the battery?
    Bridging uses next to no PB battery. Games are resource intensive. Transferring a lot of data via bridge will use your handset's battery more intensively.

I'm bridged 24/7.
    12-05-11 08:59 PM
    Bought mine on day of release. Was first in line at Office Depot. Er.. well, the only one in line, but that's not the point. Haven't had a problem yet. Looking forward to 2.0, though it has virtually replaced my work laptop already. Bridge is the bomb, and has saved me a few times. Wife has an iPad. She won't talk to me about her issues with it anymore. I always respond with, "You know... you wouldn't have this problem if you had a Playbook." She rolls her eyes and deals with the issue. It humors me even though I say it in jest.. sorta. LoL
    jafobabe and Megacharge like this.
    12-06-11 12:05 AM
    While puffing is natural, the pb does have its issues. I'm hoping that a security wipe may have fixed things but in my case the Browser crashes on a regular basis. For the past 5 months I could not get the pb and Desktop Manager to play nicely and allow me to backup my pb (neither a complete backup nor a custom (data, apps, settings)).

Physically, my only complaint might be that I have to use wired earphones whereas I would prefer to use wireless a2dp bluetooth headphones and take any stress of the headphone jack. So far no dead or stuck pixels (knock on wood), the touch screen still touches (although did rim purposely make flash ads more touch-sensitive than other links???) and the speakers are good.

Rim really needs to test its software releases more fully or, at least, provide an option to roll back an upgrade so that if issues crop up, folks can get back to an earlier OS version.
    12-06-11 12:59 AM
    The battery will probably need a few charge-discharge cycles to come up to full capacity.
    12-06-11 01:03 AM
    Just got mines today but I'm at work so I haven't played with it yet but I'm hearing a lot of good things about it can't wait til I get home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-11 01:06 AM
    Very happy with mine. Apart from the Storm 2 (which I return immediately), I have never been disappointed by BlackBerry. Great focused products.
    12-06-11 01:11 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD