Hi there!
    i'm just new to blackberry.
    over the years i "tested" many phones and os'es like windows mobile 4/5/6/6.5 / windows phone android i**** etc.
    the most mobile phones have a good quality / hardware but the software *argh*
    my first BB was the 9780 and it's a great mobile phone.
    now i have a torch 9810.
    I bought it from a friend of mine and the prob is it has a t-mobile.de branding.
    is there any soloution atm to unbrand it or to get the original blackberry os on it?
    my prob is not the t-mobile picture.
    i want the "original" os / updates and i don't want to wait until t-mobile
    updates their branded version etc.

years ago (i think 2004) i rooted my first windows mobile 5 phone
    but i can't find any good documentation for the new phones how to get
    the "original" OS back on it
    just found 1 how to for the 88xx to 9000 series

thx 4 help
    Last edited by d3x84; 12-05-11 at 04:21 PM.
    12-05-11 04:16 PM
    AFAIK the T-Mobile logo as u switch on the handset cannot be removed. As for updates, see latest os sticky at the top of the 9810 forum and leaked os threads. You don't have to wait for T-Mobile to release its update.
    12-05-11 04:29 PM
    is there a possibility to get the "original os" on the device? i mean those branding free one's
    or can i switch beteween those os versions as i like?

i dont know how secure BB's are.
    for example if u got a branded android phone u have to root it first,
    then u have to install a special boot rom with a recovery mode
    if u start the recovery mode u can install any custom rom.
    could be a "original" a "branded" or a complete custom doesn't matter

how is it like on a BB?
    Last edited by d3x84; 12-05-11 at 06:21 PM.
    12-05-11 06:09 PM
    is there a possibility to get the "original os" on the device? i mean those branding free one's
    or can i switch beteween those os versions as i like?

i dont know how secure BB's are.
    for example if u got a branded android phone u have to root it first,
    then u have to install a special boot rom with a recovery mode
    if u start the recovery mode u can install any custom rom.
    could be a "original" a "branded" or a complete custom doesn't matter

how is it like on a BB?
    Like you, I've worked with WM 5/6.1/6.5, several flavors of Android, Blackberry OS6 and OS7. Yes, with Android, you have to root the OS before you can unlock the phone. That isn't the case with Blackberry. You just need the code and procedure to unlock it. If a phone is old enough, your carrier will help. If not, then you get to take your chances paying a third party unlocking vendor for the info.

The phone has certain settings that are affected by the OS installation. Which is why installing "official" versions from other carriers requires deleting the vendor.xml files before installing on the phone so that those settings don't get modified to match a different carrier. If you're not familiar with BBs and carrier settings, you may not want to have to fix those settings manually. And, unless you know you're going to normally use the phone with another carrier, you don't want to change those settings, anyway.
    12-05-11 11:34 PM
    I haven't come across any branding on the BBs I've used other than the initial screen and wallpapers. Your carrier of choice also pushes some stuff which u can hide.
    Rooting does not exist for BBs.
    12-06-11 06:27 AM
    ah ok that helps me a lot =)

the thing is...
    the original build on my phone is t-mobile.de but my carrier is o2.de
    so i think about to change to o2 or switch to the original...

there are some incompatibilities between t-mobile.de and o2.de
    for example the mobile box pro feature is not available @ o2
    but the sms which mobile box is generating will result in sms that i have to pay

with bsak i deleted mobile box pro but for example appworld is very!!! slow
    on my phone. i think i have to flash o2 on my phone because of some carrier
    optimizations...

i have to search for a o2.de image for my torch
    hope i find it.

so i just have to download the os, delete the vendor xml
    and get that image on the phone right?
    Last edited by d3x84; 12-06-11 at 06:34 AM.
    12-06-11 06:30 AM
    Exactly. I believe in the carrier optimisation as well, rightly or wrongly. But am sure that wouldn't affect appworld.
    Dunno anything about mobile box so cnt help there am afraid. Sending from my BB otherwise I'd try to help further.
    12-06-11 07:05 AM
    hmm
    i installed a o2 uk which i downloaded on the rim website
    i deleted the vendor.xml file and started the loader.exe

it seems like that nothing changed because the apps which
    came out of the box by t-mobile are on my BB

what was the mistake?
    12-06-11 07:20 AM
    Start desktop manager and see what version it says your running(should be the same version number as what you downloaded) and if it prompts you for an update. If not there is a very good possibility there is a second hidden vendor file. Search your PC within hidden files and folders for vendor.xml and delete any instance of it. Should be good to go then and DM should prompt you for an update. If your not used to updating a BB then using DM is the easiest way to go.
    12-06-11 08:24 AM
    Hi all, new to BB's and to this site.

Don't want to hijack the thread but can someone please explain or confirm.
    If I buy a 9810 locked to a UK carrier, I unlock it then update to latest software (after deleting the vendor.xml files) will that get rid of any vendor/carrier branding?

I want to get a 9810 for my daughter for Xmas, it needs to be unlocked, should I get a factory unlocked phone or can I get a carrier locked one, unlock it and update software to remove any carrier branding?
    12-06-11 11:08 AM
    The only carrier branding other then the obvious logo at the bottom, would be the radio frequencies, and the splash logo at startup. There is no way to remove these as they are baked into the processor.

A locked phone refers to it being locked to a specific carrier(IE it wont recognize another carriers sim card). Unlocking(which can be done for a small fee and requires inputting a code)will allow you to use it on another network that has similar radio frequencies.

You can install any carriers OS as long as you delete the vendor file. The vendor file associates the phone ID(carriers vendor ID) to the actual OS. Simply delete the file and the OS has no vendor ID. Unfortunately even after installing another carriers OS you will still see the carriers splash screen at startup.
    mr_chaela likes this.
    12-06-11 11:15 AM
    OK 2 things, firstly it is NOT necessary to debrand the BB in order to use a leaked OS is an OS from another carrier, there is a simple procedure that you do on your host computer that makes the OS usable on your device. It involves deleting a file and is VERY easy to do. OK secondly, it IS possible to actually debrand your BB and remove the carrier logos and other bloatware. HOWEVER, it requires the use of illegal software that should have (but did) never left the RIM labs. We do NOT allow discussions about this software and debranding, on CB. Please refer to google. Also note this is a VERY advanced procedure designed to be done by RIM engineers and if done incorrectly can truly brick your device and render it beyond repair!
    12-06-11 11:30 AM
    hmm
    i installed a o2 uk which i downloaded on the rim website
    i deleted the vendor.xml file and started the loader.exe

it seems like that nothing changed because the apps which
    came out of the box by t-mobile are on my BB

what was the mistake?
    Each carrier has their own APN settings. You're going to need to change those to whatever O2.de uses. Possibly with the help of an O2.de store tech to make it easier. If you don't have that set right, they aren't going to necessarily automatically change from the old T-Mobile.de settings just because you have an O2 sim in the phone.
    12-06-11 11:59 AM
    i thought it would be something like this....

ok... my o2 update
    the BBDM don't prompt me for a update...
    if i use the loader.exe it reads my phone first and then installs "my"
    downloaded o2 OS

maybe its the same version but why won't the install run correctly?

i deleted all vendor.xml there is no hidden one...

i deinstalled the blackberry software and the os
    i reinstalled the bbdm and the os
    i tried to do the update via loader.exe and bbdm and it
    after the update there is alle the t-mobile stuff on it
    12-06-11 12:01 PM
    i thought it would be something like this....

ok... my o2 update
    the BBDM don't prompt me for a update...
    if i use the loader.exe it reads my phone first and then installs "my"
    downloaded o2 OS

maybe its the same version but why won't the install run correctly?

i deleted all vendor.xml there is no hidden one...

i deinstalled the blackberry software and the os
    i reinstalled the bbdm and the os
    i tried to do the update via loader.exe and bbdm and it
    after the update there is alle the t-mobile stuff on it
    What T-Mobile stuff? Are you getting a T-Mobile boot screen? It started as a T-Mobile phone. The boot screen isn't going to change. Are you getting T-Mobile related apps? DM backs up what's on the phone, installs the OS, reinstalls the original apps. If you can manually delete the ones you don't want, they won't come back on the next upgrade. The ones that you can't manually delete you're stuck with. If you don't use them, no big deal.
    12-06-11 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD