As I have posted, I am very excited to have bought a new PB on the super discount price from Radio Shack. It will be coming this week. BUT.... I am getting awfully scared reading about the Wifi problems with the updated OS. I got this primarily to use the browser, and mostly on WiFi. Am I going to have major problems?
    Last edited by barskin; 12-05-11 at 11:05 AM.
    12-05-11 11:02 AM
    i do not experience wifi disconnection issues with 1.08 nor I had any with 1.07.
    12-05-11 11:06 AM
    I have also never had a single wifi issue. Playbook owner since august.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 11:09 AM
    On my WiFi both at home and at the office, I have had nothing but lightning fast response from my Playbook browser.
    12-05-11 11:10 AM
    As I have posted, I am very excited to have bought a new PB on the super discount price from Radio Shack. It will be coming this week. BUT.... I am getting awfully scared reading about the Wifi problems with the updated OS. I got this primarily to use the browser, and mostly on WiFi. Am I going to have major problems?
    The vast majority of users have no wifi connectivity problems. One must be aware that people don't post up threads saying that their wifi is functioning well. People post up when they have issues and that makes it appear that there are lots problems with the PB when in reality there are not.
    mtx69 and Hgouck like this.
    12-05-11 11:13 AM
    No problems with the wifi, some occasional problems with the browser, sometimes it works great, other times it just poops on me. Owner since June.
    12-05-11 11:16 AM
    The vast majority of users have no wifi connectivity problems. One must be aware that people don't post up threads saying that their wifi is functioning well. People post up when they have issues and that makes it appear that there are lots problems with the PB when in reality there are not.
    Ah, yes. That makes sense. Thanks. My main Wifi would be my home which has a WAP2/Personal security code, which, to read threads about this (over at the BB support forum) has no problem, so I should probably breathe easy and get excited again.
    12-05-11 11:17 AM
    You shouldn't worry about it. RIM will be fixing it and there is plenty of help here for you with options that work until then.

Do not stress yourself out over this.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-05-11 11:17 AM
    1.07 and also 1.08 are working very well with any wifi source I encountered so far.

Yes, some had some problems that could be fix with a setting in their wifi source...

You must be very careful when reading posts with negative sounds. A lot are simply not according the truth. Some don't even own or have owned a playbook! Humans in general (including you and me) have the nature to believe negative news over positive news.

However, I do believe the PB is sensitive about the quality of a wifi signal in general.
    12-05-11 11:23 AM
    No problems with both my PBs.
    12-05-11 11:27 AM
    I like my playbook very much, in fact this week I bought another one. So I now have 16GB and 64GB. I also have an ipad. I did my research when wanting another tablet. I wanted one to do flash for when my ipad wouldn't. The keyboard on ipad is much better, faster, catches the letters typed better, also bigger keys, which may not be able to fix here much. I hope RIM fixes playbook keyboard. I hate that it doesnt have auto fixes. It doesnt even capitalize first letters in sentences or i's. In the ipad you can press and hold key to get other options like aposhtrophe.

Also I am getting very annoyed with my browser trying to close when i am just trying to scroll down thru pages trying to read, they need to fix this ASAP. I have gotten use to the swipes to access menus and think that is fine.
    12-05-11 11:27 AM
    Meh..wouldn't worry about it too much. Worst case scenario you could just do a Security Wipe and then reload the software..or jump up to 2.0 Beta and try it, and always revert back again.

When I went from 2.0 Beta to 1.08, I couldn't even connect to WiFi..but I simply wiped again and did a fresh install and all was good.
    12-05-11 12:06 PM
    For most people that had issues, changing security or switching from "N" to "B/G" seemed to fix their issues.
    12-05-11 12:07 PM
    I like my playbook very much, bla bla bla...i am just trying to scroll down thru pages trying to read, they need to fix this ASAP. I have gotten use to the swipes to access menus and think that is fine.
    To stay on topic:
    Your wifi is fine right?
    12-05-11 12:11 PM
    I like my playbook very much, in fact this week I bought another one. So I now have 16GB and 64GB. I also have an ipad. I did my research when wanting another tablet. I wanted one to do flash for when my ipad wouldn't. The keyboard on ipad is much better, faster, catches the letters typed better, also bigger keys, which may not be able to fix here much. I hope RIM fixes playbook keyboard. I hate that it doesnt have auto fixes. It doesnt even capitalize first letters in sentences or i's. In the ipad you can press and hold key to get other options like aposhtrophe.

Also I am getting very annoyed with my browser trying to close when i am just trying to scroll down thru pages trying to read, they need to fix this ASAP. I have gotten use to the swipes to access menus and think that is fine.
    Hi amy. Did you join just to complain and let us know how much better the ipad is or would you like some help?
    jamesbondOO7 and Hgouck like this.
    12-05-11 12:14 PM
    It's funny to read other people's wifi problems, because reliable wifi connection is about the only unequivocal advantage the PB has over the Android tab in my house.
    12-05-11 12:16 PM
    It's funny to read other people's wifi problems, because reliable wifi connection is about the only unequivocal advantage the PB has over the Android tab in my house.
    I think it's fair to say that people's experience of 1.08 is variable. I was happy with 1.07, I'm not so happy with 1.08.

Some, possibly many, have no problems at all and their browsers performance under 1.08 is akin to a greased weasel. While others now have a browser that hangs, for minutes, whilst loading a page.

Some other folks have had problems connecting to their router or maintaining a connection. Ensuring that your router isn't using 802.11n (and WPA?) seems to cure that one.

Some really unlucky folks seem to have found their cameras are now showing a black screen. I really don't understand that one, but hopefully RIM does.

I have no idea what is causing the problems, though they are undeniably real for those affected, or why different folks see such different effects. Looking at RIM's official PB forum, I see much the same mix of reports. For some 1.08 works well, for others not so well.

So the problems are very real for some, and not others. I'm sure RIM are on the case and a fix will follow. Given that the OS2 Beta doesn't seem to exhibit any of these problems, I'm confident it will be fixed, even if we have to wait for the OS2 official release!

To the OP: As has been said above, it's best not to fret overmuch about this. Shoots is correct: The silent majority for whom the update succeeded won't be posting "everything went OK" posts here and so you will very likely update successfully.

Though... it sucks to be one of those with the problems...

C'mon RIM, fix this puppy!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-05-11 at 01:48 PM.
    12-05-11 01:45 PM
    Any issues you have are readily fixable.Browse to your hearts content.
    12-05-11 02:03 PM
    I daily use 2 PB's, 16G running OS 2.0.0.3894 beta & 64G running 1.0.8, the 16G since April on OS 1.0.7xx until November.

I've had occasional WIFI connecting issues at home, none at work. I recently upgraded the wireless router at home and now both PB's are very stable with connectivity.

I also have had iPad connectivity issues at work, specifically WIFI auto-connect when re-entering the wireless area. I had to disable the wireless security and re-connect, and then re-enable security settings. Seems fine now.

Bottom line, routers seem to be the cause of unstable WIFI connections more than the tablets, at least in my experience with several tablets and three different routers.

Regards,
    12-05-11 02:13 PM
    Thanks, guys. I do feel better now.

At home, I have my desktop on my wired connection and two devices (including my 9810) on my router, and all is fine. I guess everything should be alright.
    12-05-11 02:24 PM
    I had wifi problems with the Pb. The solution for me turned out to be changing the settings in the Belkin wireless router I was using.

I switched 802.11e QoS to 'off' and set Protected Mode to 'off'. That seemed to fix things. Wifi is very fast and stable now.
    Last edited by graza; 12-05-11 at 02:36 PM.
    12-05-11 02:33 PM
    I've had my playbook for just over a month it was working great and suddenly this weekend the wifi stopped working, died. I tried everything, contacted customer service and received a major run around for three days.

I loved my playbook when it was working it was great, I showed it off to everyone who would give me a moment of their time. During the big sale event I purchased three more, one for my husband who occupied mine full time every weekend and two for my nieces all for Christmas. My husband witnessed the poor customer service I received and decided rather than buy now he'd be better served waiting for as he states "RIM to get their act together." He has no idea what's coming for him for Christmas. I'm torn between keeping the ones I purchased for Christmas or returning them because any problem that might occur with any of these will become my problem, I don't have time to invest in sitting on the phone with customer service for hours.

I found the customer service people nice enough but extremely difficult to understand all of them had accents which made it difficult to understand them. In the total three day period I was on the phone with customer service, to no avail, for a total of ten and a half hours! Today I asked for a supervisor and explained I don't use my playbook as toy but a business tool, I've grown to depend on it in place of my laptop and now I've had to revert back to the laptop. My independence of lugging a laptop has again become my only dependable devise, I am truly sad by this whole event. I am a major supporter of RIM and the playbook, I really feel let down.

The end result of my conversation with the supervisor at BlackBerry was that he would send a return box to pick-up my playbook and send me a replacement, he did not guarantee it wouldn't be refurbished, again I'm not happy. I expressed all of this to the supervisor who asked if I would write down the chain of events and my overall feelings so he could take it to the powers that be in order for them to improve the level of service for the playbook. He stated he will personally follow up with my case by email and phone to ensure I'm completely satisfied, guess that means it won't be refurbished after all!

Interesting enough he explained they have recently become aware of a number of wifi problems, all which have occurred just as mine did out of the blue for no apparent reason and that they are working on it.

I should receive my three playbook Christmas presents soon, think I'll open them and check them out before giving them out! Maybe there was just a bad batch and I was one of the unlucky ones, one can only hope!
    12-05-11 02:50 PM
    wifi very strong with me. All very good.Had big problems with the other tablet I own from another brand but tbat got fixed eventually.
    12-05-11 02:59 PM
    I've only had my playbook for 3 days now, but I haven't had any issues with wifi or my browser yet. So far everything has worked rather smoothly. I must say that so far I really LOVE the playbook!
    12-05-11 03:04 PM
    BernFlo:

Did BB/Rim suggest changing your router settings? There is are a range of "modes" or standards and it appears that the one they broke has to do with the N mode/standard. If you go into your router, you may be able to find the location to change from from N or mixed to b/g (disable the N).

Good luck.
    12-05-11 04:40 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD