View Poll Results: How much is the 16G Playbook actually worth?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100-200USD

19 21.11%
  • 200-300USD

40 44.44%
  • 300-400USD

26 28.89%
  • 400-500USD

5 5.56%
    What do you really think the Playbook is worth, assuming that it works as expected?

I know it is worth more than 200USD, especially considering people are snapping them up at that price like there is no tomorrow.

This poll is for the 16G
    12-04-11 11:29 PM
    At $199 it is the deal of the century. At $499 it's still a great buy for what it is. Especially if you also possess a blackberry phone. These things are amazing.
    12-04-11 11:54 PM
    Looks like $299 would have been the sweet spot for these things while still generating a minor profit for RIM.
    12-05-11 12:16 AM
    There's actual worth and psychological worth.

I think, from a marketing perspective, it's value is around $179-$199 for a 16gb version.

Outside of us crackberry-ites, how is it seen as a value tool? "Why do I need this?" and "What does it do for me?" and "How much will it cost?" (Those are the questions my parents asked when they started shopping for a tablet and smartphone. They want a smartphone and like the idea of a tablet but haven't figured out their "need" yet...)

Price it high without being able to hit those "need" wickets and people will look at it and walk away. I almost did -- before the price drop, I was strongly considering the HTC Flyer. It was $299, offered the ability to expand the storage with a removable SD card (huge in my book) and did what I was looking for and fit in my current google-fied life...it actually seemed like a much better deal than the PlayBook, regardless of price. I only ended up buying my 32gb because it was on sale at $279 and as someone really values his Blackberry, I saw future potential use for me.

What's the PlayBook anyway? A media consumption device? A content creation device? A nice to have device? Answer those questions then look at the competition and price accordingly.

Make sense?
    stevepar likes this.
    12-05-11 12:16 AM
    I personally think that as a consumer, the Playbook is worth 350 to 375USD. In this day and age, it is what I would expect to pay.

I snapped another one up for 198.00, now I have 2, was even tempted to get another one, but one for work, one for home is all I can mentally justify.

I realize that tablets are relatively expensive to manufacture, but that being said, tablets are typically overpriced because they are in demand.

Comparing the hardware of various tablets, the Playbook ranks pretty high IMO.
    12-05-11 12:26 AM
    Currently, with the Playbook lacking native email, contacts - the ability to use Netflix, Skype,etc....
    ....$200.00 is a little on the steep side for a 16GB.

Now, if RIM can bring those things to the table ( those things they should have had on it initially )...
    ...The Playbook would be able to compete with the Ipad.
    ...If they can make a Playbook 2 that has internal 3g or 4g air cards Rim will come back!
    12-05-11 12:41 AM
    $300-350 - today. IN six months, it could all change (downward of course) - as these technology products go.
    12-05-11 12:44 AM
    There's actual worth and psychological worth.

I think, from a marketing perspective, it's value is around $179-$199 for a 16gb version.

Outside of us crackberry-ites, how is it seen as a value tool? "Why do I need this?" and "What does it do for me?" and "How much will it cost?" (Those are the questions my parents asked when they started shopping for a tablet and smartphone. They want a smartphone and like the idea of a tablet but haven't figured out their "need" yet...)

Price it high without being able to hit those "need" wickets and people will look at it and walk away. I almost did -- before the price drop, I was strongly considering the HTC Flyer. It was $299, offered the ability to expand the storage with a removable SD card (huge in my book) and did what I was looking for and fit in my current google-fied life...it actually seemed like a much better deal than the PlayBook, regardless of price. I only ended up buying my 32gb because it was on sale at $279 and as someone really values his Blackberry, I saw future potential use for me.

What's the PlayBook anyway? A media consumption device? A content creation device? A nice to have device? Answer those questions then look at the competition and price accordingly.

Make sense?
    Can they manufacture the Playbook for less than 200?
    12-05-11 01:00 AM
    The price I paid for it, the equivalent of about 450$. I guess I would have been prepared to pay 100$ more.
    12-05-11 01:18 AM
    High quality hardware $299 and up.
    12-05-11 01:44 AM
    Can they manufacture the Playbook for less than 200?
    i did a quick google search and came across this link: buzzmeters.org - The buzz of the mobile World

apparently, and according to the post, the 16gb playbook cost RIM $190 to make (while the 32gb cost $205 and the 64gb $235). whether accurate or not, i think the psychological price of $199 makes it a better deal for both RIM and consumer -- RIM may not make a lot of money on the 16gb model but they could/would make it up in mindshare and that's a worth a lot more in the long run.
    12-05-11 01:53 AM
    i did a quick google search and came across this link: buzzmeters.org - The buzz of the mobile World

apparently, and according to the post, the 16gb playbook cost RIM $190 to make (while the 32gb cost $205 and the 64gb $235). whether accurate or not, i think the psychological price of $199 makes it a better deal for both RIM and consumer -- RIM may not make a lot of money on the 16gb model but they could/would make it up in mindshare and that's a worth a lot more in the long run.
    I was thinking that if they would have introduced the Playbook 16G at 299, it would have sold very well, and made them a little money in the process. I also think it would have had the effect of jump starting the app market by starting out with a larger consumer base for the Playbook, which would have possibly enticed the larger players in the development world.

The 199 price tag is great, don't get me wrong, but it is not profitable for RIM. It will, I guess, have the benefit of more Playbooks in consumer hands, which will help RIM in some ways, but long term, it is not sustainable.
    12-05-11 02:14 AM
    I was thinking that if they would have introduced the Playbook 16G at 299, it would have sold very well, and made them a little money in the process. I also think it would have had the effect of jump starting the app market by starting out with a larger consumer base for the Playbook, which would have possibly enticed the larger players in the development world.

The 199 price tag is great, don't get me wrong, but it is not profitable for RIM. It will, I guess, have the benefit of more Playbooks in consumer hands, which will help RIM in some ways, but long term, it is not sustainable.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    I honestly think when it was launched the price should have been $299 (16GB)/$399 (32GB)/$499 (64GB) I bet cha it would have been flying off shelves.
    When they priced it at $500+ for a 16GB I thought to myself, ohh man... They're gonna pay for this big time.
    12-05-11 02:30 AM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    When Playbook software release 2.0 comes out in February .. I think its worth $399 for 16 GB .. and a great value at that! ....
    Send Again likes this.
    12-05-11 02:31 AM

i completely agree. i think coming out the gate with the price they did put them in the same fate as every other tablet maker -- too high for a device that really wasn't "needed" but was billed as the big ipad competitor and now they're having to rescale and remarket...

regardless of the hardware (and the playbook is kick-*** at that) -- the apps, and KEY apps at that, are what's making or breaking it. have the big players on board with apps out the gate (skype, facebook, twitter, netfix, msoffice) and not promises of it coming "in the near future" and i think you would have seen this thing sell better from the beginning.

but again, how is it currently positioned and being billed? and how is it being billed during this holiday season when everyone is now shopping for a tablet. take a look around the interwebs and in places like best buy and it's shaping up to be the kindle-ipad season...
    12-05-11 02:35 AM
    To me, it's worth every bit of the original MSRP. Now, if all you wanted to do was read a few books, play a game or two, or watch a movie, then at $200.00, it was the deal of the century. For every other thing the PB can do that no eBook can do or do in a very limited way, the value grows exponentially.
    12-05-11 05:51 AM
    I voted 300-400. the current 199 is an absolute steal.

but if you incorporate in resale value (ie. if you plan to sell it after 6-12 months of use or sth) then it's definitely 100-200. and 199 is merely a fair buy.
    12-05-11 06:18 AM
    I think the $200 price range is what it should have launched at to be honest. However, if they would have waited and released it with os2 launch, then I can see justifying a $400 price range.
    12-05-11 06:38 AM
    What its worth and what people are willing to pay are two completely different things. Considering the competetion I wouldn't pay any more than $199. The Fire has forced other manufacturers to evaluate their position, especially those lacking a strong ecosystem for their devices. I think the $500 pricetag is now history for 7" devices.

What do you really think the Playbook is worth, assuming that it works as expected?

I know it is worth more than 200USD, especially considering people are snapping them up at that price like there is no tomorrow.

This poll is for the 16G
    12-05-11 07:22 AM
    $149/$199/$249 for the 16/32/64 GB. Good hardware, and the bridge is a decided plus for BB owners, but the ecosystem is absolutely atrocious. Tablets don't fill a need, they fill a want; therefore, a top-notch app ecosystem is a must. People who say otherwise about their PB are just rationalizing their purchase, which is human nature.
    12-05-11 07:26 AM
    249/349/449 is the perfect price once 2.0 drops.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 07:41 AM
    The playbook is currently worth $249 since it is equivalent to the nook tablet. I guess for me the cameras make up for the Android. In two months it will be worth $179 since all the new tablets will have been released. Then in four months $129, as all the old tablets will be on clearance.

I still feel as if I got a good deal (if my 11 day old shopbb order comes through) since most people payed around $30 more for it. At 189 compared to my expected 4 month value of 129+tax which is almost $150 (with gas). I will only have lost 40 dollars. I think that's a good bargain. Since cell phones which use the same tech drop so much faster.
    12-05-11 08:06 AM
    I would say $299 for the 16GB. It's a phenomenal tablet, but no 7" tablet can compete with the iPad at a price higher than $300. I find the PlayBook to be the absolute best tablet on the market, by the way.
    12-05-11 08:07 AM
    The playbook is currently worth $249 since it is equivalent to the nook tablet. I guess for me the cameras make up for the Android. In two months it will be worth $179 since all the new tablets will have been released. Then in four months $129, as all the old tablets will be on clearance.

I still feel as if I got a good deal (if my 11 day old shopbb order comes through) since most people payed around $30 more for it. At 189 compared to my expected 4 month value of 129+tax which is almost $150 (with gas). I will only have lost 40 dollars. I think that's a good bargain. Since cell phones which use the same tech drop so much faster.
    Is that a fact; gee, I never would have thought that.
    12-05-11 08:10 AM
    I would say $299 for the 16GB. It's a phenomenal tablet, but no 7" tablet can compete with the iPad at a price higher than $300. I find the PlayBook to be the absolute best tablet on the market, by the way.
    That is only until CM7 is ported over to the Nook, then a 16GB will have to be priced at 199 otherwise there is no point in buying them.
    12-05-11 08:13 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD