It probably won't be long after root before Android is available to run on rooted Playbooks. Personally I prefer the OS as it is.
    Any good reason to opt for honeycomb or a Ice Cream Sandwich based Rom?
    12-04-11 01:32 PM
    It probably won't be long after root before Android is available to run on rooted Playbooks. Personally I prefer the OS as it is.
    Any good reason to opt for honeycomb or a Ice Cream Sandwich based Rom?
    Hmmm I think it would probably be a while before we could see that. Getting the PlayBook hardware to work correctly with android would be a task.
    12-04-11 01:34 PM
    Why don't people just buy an android tablet? The PB will run android apps in Feb. not sure if the ones people want or not but if I wanted android on it I would've bought an android tablet.

Yes experiment away.

I love the still immature OS on the playbook, it's going to get much better.
    12-04-11 01:38 PM
    True if you want a 7" Android tablet buy the Samsung Tab.
    I'd rather see more QNX support.
    12-04-11 01:46 PM
    I'm with you. QNX over an Android OS any day.

I like the creative ideas that Rim will get if they listen and watch a Rom community evolve though. Did I hear that some big phone companies hired some of the key Rom builders at Miui and Cyanogen?
    12-04-11 01:49 PM
    RIM isn't the one supporting Android Roms. I would love to be able to dual boot between qnx and something like cyanogenmod. Then I could have my video chat back AND multitask in android
    marksthespot60 likes this.
    12-04-11 01:51 PM
    No RIM is not supporting android ROM's they are implementing an android player.
    12-04-11 01:53 PM
    Exactly. With one instance of android running. So who wouldn't want to be able to multitask??
    12-04-11 01:58 PM
    some people just want to test how capable they are to root a device or install certain apps.
    Is not like PB is bad or android is better.
    12-04-11 02:01 PM
    some people just want to test how capable they are to root a device or install certain apps.
    Is not like PB is bad or android is better.
    You're right. I guess I've tried android and don't like it and think PB OS is superior. To each their own, I just figured if someone wants android why not buy an android.
    12-04-11 02:04 PM
    Most people just want things that work and help them more easily complete tasks... Same reason most of us fell in love with BB in the first place. Like Nimrod said, it has nothing to do with one being "better" than the other
    chiniki likes this.
    12-04-11 02:12 PM
    As I've stated in the other post, rooting the device will NOT be the thing that gives us the ability to put other OSes onto the PB in the literal sense.

The key is in getting into the bootloader/bootrom which is contained inside the OMAP4430.

People are looking into it now and seeing how much security there is, it's a bit of an uphill struggle to get anywhere effective.
    12-04-11 02:17 PM
    Why don't people just buy an android tablet? The PB will run android apps in Feb. not sure if the ones people want or not but if I wanted android on it I would've bought an android tablet.
    Why didn't people just buy an android tablet? Because a 7" Android tablet with the specs of the Playbook would have cost more than the $200 I spent. As for Android application support, I admit that everything I really "need" to run currently runs, so I don't feel any urgent pressure. But things I would have liked to see run (say a video player that natively decodes MKV) don't.

True if you want a 7" Android tablet buy the Samsung Tab.
    I'd rather see more QNX support.
    False dichotomy. The hypothetical ability to run Android natively doesn't preclude further "QNX support". Even if it becomes possible to run Android natively with full hardware support, only a very tiny portion of the people who buy Playbooks will actually change ROMs. The vast majority of consumers use products as they ship. There will be no meaningful reduction in market for any native Playbook application. Realistically, the Android player RIM is already baking in will have a far greater impact than a custom ROM ever could; the player will be available "automatically" to everyone in the February-ish update.

See above regarding price-point.

I'm with you. QNX over an Android OS any day.

I like the creative ideas that Rim will get if they listen and watch a Rom community evolve though. Did I hear that some big phone companies hired some of the key Rom builders at Miui and Cyanogen?
    I understand brand-loyalty, but the principle behind an OS is to enable a user to use applications. I'm NOT arguing against the Playbook or QNX in general, but I keep seeing comments like these and I'm somewhat confused. What precisely is it about QNX that you prefer over Android? I've used both and as far as I am concerned they're both just platforms on which a bunch of icons can be displayed that when clicked launch apps. So what's the argument? Just curious.

I just don't get why the PB community is acting so insecure over the whole topic of rooting and Android. At the very least I would like to know that if RIM abandons the product line I could migrate to a living platform. I don't expect that to happen any time soon, but longevity is a nice thing.
    12-04-11 02:29 PM
    Who gives a cr@p about Android. I wanna dual boot Windows7 on this.
    LuayS and alekza like this.
    12-04-11 02:36 PM
    thanks anguish. alot of flamers in this thread.

what's wrong with the idea of running android. it's an open os now and its definitely more polished than qnx. in fact the whole software isn't optimized for the platform. android would run alot more smoothly. i think blackberry should consider opening up qnx where development can happen back door like early ios.

i like qnx and where it's headed but i have to wait another 3 months before any sort of development. qnx is buggy, non optimized and lacking in many ways. i hate the crappy alarm clock, keyboard, the 2-4 second pauses before switching programs. there's a ton that should be customizable. i just dont want to wait to long. i think many of the new purchasers feel the same way.

android was crap 3 years ago and im definitely not waiting 3 years before qnx is finally a formidable platform
    jjca likes this.
    12-04-11 02:51 PM
    Why didn't people just buy an android tablet? Because a 7" Android tablet with the specs of the Playbook would have cost more than the $200 I spent. As for Android application support, I admit that everything I really "need" to run currently runs, so I don't feel any urgent pressure. But things I would have liked to see run (say a video player that natively decodes MKV) don't.

False dichotomy. The hypothetical ability to run Android natively doesn't preclude further "QNX support". Even if it becomes possible to run Android natively with full hardware support, only a very tiny portion of the people who buy Playbooks will actually change ROMs. The vast majority of consumers use products as they ship. There will be no meaningful reduction in market for any native Playbook application. Realistically, the Android player RIM is already baking in will have a far greater impact than a custom ROM ever could; the player will be available "automatically" to everyone in the February-ish update.

I understand brand-loyalty, but the principle behind an OS is to enable a user to use applications. I'm NOT arguing against the Playbook or QNX in general, but I keep seeing comments like these and I'm somewhat confused. What precisely is it about QNX that you prefer over Android? I've used both and as far as I am concerned they're both just platforms on which a bunch of icons can be displayed that when clicked launch apps. So what's the argument? Just curious.

I just don't get why the PB community is acting so insecure over the whole topic of rooting and Android. At the very least I would like to know that if RIM abandons the product line I could migrate to a living platform. I don't expect that to happen any time soon, but longevity is a nice thing.
    Common sense, where have thou been?

Good points. Folks act like admitting to being curious about rooting is somehow an indictment of BBOS/BBX. Cover up the OS tattoos and relax...

In reality, a rooted PB is a HUGE win for the community. Trust me on that...
    12-04-11 03:22 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with Playbook running Android OS, but I'm going to stick with QNX, I just love the overall experience, but I am hoping that once Dingleberry is released we will be able to run Android Games & Apps..

I bought the Playbook because of what the OS is capable of..
    12-04-11 04:46 PM
    Who gives a cr@p about Android. I wanna dual boot Windows7 on this.
    ya thats just what the world needs.the worst os known to man.it would need to have a 64gig hd just for the os and bloatware.now if the rooting will give us the ability to run ubuntu linux we would have a great machine.i bought a new alien ware laptop and put linux on the same day.endless free apps and endless free suport and it runs 100% beter than any android stuff
    12-04-11 04:57 PM
    Its all the same crap, I want to quad boot QNX (for security), IOS (cool), AOS (best ecosystem), WP7 (uniqueness). That will still leave me with around 3gb per partition which would still be useful.
    zoohair likes this.
    12-04-11 05:08 PM
    ya thats just what the world needs.the worst os known to man.it would need to have a 64gig hd just for the os and bloatware.now if the rooting will give us the ability to run ubuntu linux we would have a great machine.i bought a new alien ware laptop and put linux on the same day.endless free apps and endless free suport and it runs 100% beter than any android stuff
    You would have a great machine if you ran fedora. Dont think that will ever happen. I would love to have a windows tablet with the same ff as pb.
    12-04-11 05:35 PM

I love the still immature OS on the playbook, it's going to get much better.
    Totally agree. I will root 1 pb, run beta on 1 and leave the other 2 stock.
    12-04-11 05:39 PM

Ah I have nothing against it and was thinking about what I like.

What do I like about QNX over android? Well I just prefer over all the way the OS works, so fluid and natural to use, the swipes, changing to a window in the background is simple and efficient, it's just a pleasure to use. Android seems or when I tried it seemed buggy and not intuitive at all and clunky. Maybe I would change my mind after learning it better but it took me a whole 30 seconds to learn QNX.

I hope you all getter done but I'll watch from the sidelines. BTW just because it has been rooted does that mean they also cracked the boot loader? Without that there really is no way to change it completely to android is there?
    12-04-11 06:15 PM
    One of the reasons I bought my playbook is that when I had my ipad I found I mostly just used it for web and email. I sold it because I did not like how everything was closed and I was heavily restricted by apple, coming from an android phone background.

So when I was looking for a new tablet I was thinking, I can buy a $500-600 tablet that runs android, or I can get a playbook for less than half, which has better hardware, and I have a promise of ATLEAST android app support. I LOVE the hardware, its build is comparable if not better than any other top tablet and its screen is awesome.

I am very hopeful that somebody finds a way to get into the bootloader and run custom roms. Keep in mind the playbook is almost identical to the Ice Cream Sandwhich launch platform, as in it has the same omap 4430 as the Galaxy Nexus, droid razr (both at 1.2ghz compared to the 1ghz of the playbook), and it is a VERY capable device.

I dont mind QNX because like I said I mostly use it for web browsing and email, but I WILL put android on it if somebody figures it out.
    12-04-11 07:10 PM
    You would have a great machine if you ran fedora. Dont think that will ever happen. I would love to have a windows tablet with the same ff as pb.
    fedora would be great,i could see meego linux maybe working,its a distro made for the arm procecors and other portable devices,any linux distro would be great,i would pay for a free linux distro to work on the pb
    SunnyB likes this.
    12-04-11 10:52 PM
    One of the reasons I bought my playbook is that when I had my ipad I found I mostly just used it for web and email. I sold it because I did not like how everything was closed and I was heavily restricted by apple, coming from an android phone background.

So when I was looking for a new tablet I was thinking, I can buy a $500-600 tablet that runs android, or I can get a playbook for less than half, which has better hardware, and I have a promise of ATLEAST android app support. I LOVE the hardware, its build is comparable if not better than any other top tablet and its screen is awesome.

I am very hopeful that somebody finds a way to get into the bootloader and run custom roms. Keep in mind the playbook is almost identical to the Ice Cream Sandwhich launch platform, as in it has the same omap 4430 as the Galaxy Nexus, droid razr (both at 1.2ghz compared to the 1ghz of the playbook), and it is a VERY capable device.

I dont mind QNX because like I said I mostly use it for web browsing and email, but I WILL put android on it if somebody figures it out.
    well thats not true a good android tablet costs under $300.
    12-04-11 11:06 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD