I've been checking it out for a while but being a poor grad student I clearly couldn't buy it when it was originally out! Anywhoo I love the size. it's perfect for my tiny hands (female, but still on the tiny side). I really enjoy it thus far! After reading that post about busting out a 10 page research paper on the playbook that solidified it. I had to get one. =) Have a great day everyone!
    dimm0k and Megacharge like this.
    12-03-11 12:49 PM
    You too, and congrats.
    12-03-11 12:52 PM
    CONGRATS!! i know youll love it like we all do here
    12-03-11 12:57 PM
    Congrats! Welcome to the best tablet for portability in the world.
    12-03-11 01:02 PM
    congratulations! I just got my 32 GB playbook too--after getting a 16GB the week before. lol.
    12-03-11 01:23 PM
    me too 32gb is best and i love it too--- even though i have to fight the apple iPaid fanboyzs everyday
    12-03-11 01:28 PM
    As a graduate student you will likely wish portable document format (PDF) files could be loaded in the web browser like a regular notebook or desktop since the included Adobe Reader application has been quite the let-down from the supposed premier partnership between Adobe and Research In Motion. On the bright-side, the next update due in February is supposed to enable using the BlackBerry smartphone keyboard for text-entry via Bluetooth. I am looking forward to that feature. If you use LaTeX to format and publish papers, you might be interested in web browser-based LaTex editors such as:
    Verbosus
    Monkey TeX
    latexlabs with more information about using this application.
    ScribTeX

I have verified these LaTex editors work on the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser. I am sure there are other similar services but this is a sampling. You will have to decide if any of these editors meet your needs.

Welcome to the Adventures of the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    12-03-11 01:40 PM
    rimsucksass has been terminated. Where oh where do all these sock puppets come from?
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 12-03-11 at 05:07 PM. Reason: ***** sock puppet was terminated
    12-03-11 01:49 PM
    Congratulations on the PB and best of luck with school. The PB will help a lot.
    12-03-11 02:08 PM
    I got 2! Well, at least I ordered 2.
    12-03-11 02:14 PM
    gratz! I got a 16gb the day they went on sale and later kinda wished i sprung for the 32 so when shopbb put them up I grabbed a 32gb but havent recieved it yet.. cant wait to load it up lol im toppling 90 apps on the 16gb now
    12-03-11 02:17 PM
    Congrats on both your PB purchase and your educational endeavors. I'm sure it will come in handy for your studies and your free time (if you have any).
    12-03-11 02:24 PM
    Just a couple of more days and ill be getting mines in the mail I feel like a little kid with a brand new toy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-11 02:55 PM
    Curious about that handle of yours.
    I think the poster's forum handle describes his/her position at Research In Motion. Sorry, I could not resist.

If every statement about February of 2012 for the BlackBerry PlayBook comes to fruition, he/she might have to change their forum handle.
    12-03-11 05:05 PM
    I think the poster's forum handle describes his/her position at Research In Motion. Sorry, I could not resist.

If every statement about February of 2012 for the BlackBerry PlayBook comes to fruition, he/she might have to change their forum handle.
    Yeah, he's gone, but not for long. I do own a forum, and this kind of trolling sock puppetry is well controlled by my excellent MOD team. IP address bannings, and having to submit verifiable bona fides as a condition of temporary membership, controls the nonsense that appears to be rampant and out of control in this forum. One false post, one anti-American post, one anti-military post, one anti-religion post, one anti-Christmas/Chanukah post, etc, and it's permanent sayonara bye bye.
    12-03-11 05:13 PM
    I've been checking it out for a while but being a poor grad student I clearly couldn't buy it when it was originally out! Anywhoo I love the size. it's perfect for my tiny hands (female, but still on the tiny side). I really enjoy it thus far! After reading that post about busting out a 10 page research paper on the playbook that solidified it. I had to get one. =) Have a great day everyone!
    Thanks for posting your welcomed love. We need all we can get in here.
    But have to know - since you mentioned the tiny hands, did you have to trim your nails to use the touchscreen? ? Inquiring females will want to know.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-03-11 at 05:42 PM.
    12-03-11 05:39 PM
    Thanks for posting your welcomed love. We need all we can get in here.
    But have to know - since you mentioned the tiny hands, did you have to trim your nails to use the touchscreen? ? Inquiring females will want to know.

Jack.....is that short for Jacqueline??? Dang, I hope I didn't accidentally say anything out of line.
    12-03-11 07:00 PM
    I got the 32gb also. This thing is great!! I haven't figured all it can do but my next task is to put my music on it. Will be great on my desk at work. Congrats
    12-03-11 07:22 PM
    I've had my 32g PB for about 4 days now and tonight I learned how to rip my CD's to MP3's and transfer the files to the PB. How easy it was. Many of you are proficient in these things, but for me it's a real accomplishment. Now to get good headphones. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the PB. Am sorry I didn't purchase the PB earlier when they first came out, but the cost was a bit high for my retirement pay, and now was a perfect time to get one and glad that I did.
    12-03-11 09:03 PM
    I've had my 32g PB for about 4 days now and tonight I learned how to rip my CD's to MP3's and transfer the files to the PB. How easy it was. Many of you are proficient in these things, but for me it's a real accomplishment. Now to get good headphones. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the PB. Am sorry I didn't purchase the PB earlier when they first came out, but the cost was a bit high for my retirement pay, and now was a perfect time to get one and glad that I did.
    I'm glad I waited!
    12-03-11 09:05 PM
    Aside from feeling the pinch of the holiday price drop, I still love my little PlayBook. I often get scoffed at by a few Mac snobs here and there despite the fact that I own a Mac and an iPad.

I love the PlayBook for it's very practical design and not cutting corners on hardware. Sure the screen could have been a higher resolution panel such as a 1366x768 screen so we could get even more detail but despite that, this is a major powerhouse for a 7" tablet.

I bought mine out of insatiable curiosity. I wanted to see what the latest that RIM has been working on despite all the doom & gloom heckling I get nearly every day. I still carry my Bold 9700, so the PlayBook made even more sense to me.

My only problem is that I'm stuck with 16GB of storage and it gets eaten up very quickly once you start adding some music and videos and some games from the App World. A few of these games (one of note) actually present more visual effects than my original iPad and my fourth generation iPod Touch.

The game N.O.V.A. 2 is quite a visual benchmark as is Dead Space. On my PB, I was noticing bump mapping and lighting effects that were not showing in my supposed "superior" Apple products. Needless to say, I was quite surprised by this.

I am a gadget freak and love electronic goodies ever since I was a kid. Looming close to the big 40, I've never changed except the gadgets got far more expensive.

Needless to say, the PlayBook as I see it, has amazing potential and the OS is only in it's 1.0 stages thus far, the iPad released with iOS 3.2.x so Apple did already have some experience and put fourth a great marketing campaign. RIM needs to find a younger market to survive period, everyone I know is into touch screen devices and visual eye candy on their phones and when I pull out my Bold to show a picture, they automatically lose interest as "the screen is too small" and other silly banter.

Back to the PlayBook, this tablet has a market out there, RIM just needs to get their foot in the door with a major push in games and quality games at that. EA and Gameloft have given us a taste, but there are many more games from both publishers that could be easily handled on the PlayBook.

Another example of a curious notion. The wonderful game Machinarium (please buy and support this game) requires an iPad 2 to run with planned obsolescence of the original iPad stating in bold that the game requires an iPad 2 to run. Why?

This is another reason I'm happy to have my PlayBook as I was able to get the game and enjoy the incredible artwork and music of this puzzler. It's a thinking man's game but it won't bore you to tears.

PlayBook owners rejoice! We do have a wonderful product and while not entirely perfect, it's early hardware and spanks most other tablets now costing far more.

Now if only I could get my hands on a 64GB unit, 1080p recording really eats up space!
    AggreX and ethylove like this.
    12-03-11 09:39 PM
    If you are an iTunes user and have purchased music in the .m4a audio codec, the PB plays these perfectly with no conversion needed at all. This also goes for purchased music videos. Sadly, no movies or TV shows though, they still have encryption on them.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    12-03-11 09:42 PM
    Was unaware of that so thanks for the info!
    12-03-11 10:07 PM
    snaged one for $250 from Staples Loving it but for the dumb keyboard
    12-03-11 10:09 PM
    As a graduate student you will likely wish portable document format (PDF) files could be loaded in the web browser like a regular notebook or desktop since the included Adobe Reader application has been quite the let-down from the supposed premier partnership between Adobe and Research In Motion. On the bright-side, the next update due in February is supposed to enable using the BlackBerry smartphone keyboard for text-entry via Bluetooth. I am looking forward to that feature. If you use LaTeX to format and publish papers, you might be interested in web browser-based LaTex editors such as:
    Verbosus
    Monkey TeX
    latexlabs with more information about using this application.
    ScribTeX

I have verified these LaTex editors work on the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser. I am sure there are other similar services but this is a sampling. You will have to decide if any of these editors meet your needs.

Welcome to the Adventures of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

thanks for the info! And yes I read a LOT of PDF's since I'm in Chemistry grad school. (thank you for your supportive comments on this endeavor. sometimes i forget why I'm doing it =X)

blackjack93117- I have short nails for rock climbing so, yes??
    12-03-11 10:16 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD