I noticed that my new 9900 has a lot less free space than my 9780 had. Poking around, I found a 12 MB file called "start.exe" and several large folders, "languages", "exec", and "countries" in store/files. I have installed .504 and thought I didn't install any other languages. Can I just delete those folders? And what is "start.exe" for?
    12-02-11 10:19 AM
    I don't have any of these on my device. It sounds like you downloaded a file(s) meant for a PC onto your BB. I've done that before. Pretty sure that you can't execute "start.exe" from your BB! That's a Windows/DOS file.
    12-02-11 10:33 AM
    I noticed that my new 9900 has a lot less free space than my 9780 had. Poking around, I found a 12 MB file called "start.exe" and several large folders, "languages", "exec", and "countries" in store/files. I have installed .504 and thought I didn't install any other languages. Can I just delete those folders? And what is "start.exe" for?
    Yeah, you can delete all that rubbish

I removed almost all of the stuff from my device memory on day one, and haven't had a problem since.

12-02-11 10:45 AM
    Is it safe to delete all items from device memory?
    12-02-11 10:54 AM
    Is it safe to delete all items from device memory?
    No, don't touch anything from these folders...

12-02-11 11:06 AM
    Ok. Thanks! I have the same amount of memory free as you. I noticed that you don't have Enable Compression checked. How does this effect the device?
    12-02-11 11:33 AM
    Ok. Thanks! I have the same amount of memory free as you. I noticed that you don't have Enable Compression checked. How does this effect the device?
    I asked the exact same question here and since that reply, I've always disabled it... you get faster boot times too
    12-02-11 12:07 PM
    There's also a directory, store/start.app that has quite a lot of stuff in it. It looks like some of it is Mac-related, but I can't be sure if all of it is.

I think I'll also disable Compression.
    12-02-11 12:14 PM
    There's also a directory, store/start.app that has quite a lot of stuff in it. It looks like some of it is Mac-related, but I can't be sure if all of it is.
    I thought the same, and I don't have a Mac... so I deleted the whole folder.
    12-02-11 12:18 PM
    Sorry for hijacking this... I saw phill_uk's screenshots and I had questions.

Back to the topic...

I don't see any files or folders like ubizmo does... is this device dependent?
    12-02-11 12:30 PM
    Sorry for hijacking this... I saw phill_uk's screenshots and I had questions.

Back to the topic...

I don't see any files or folders like ubizmo does... is this device dependent?
    No, they are on all devices.

Just open the Files app, select File Folders, click on Device, press Menu then Show Hidden... et voila
    wolfee48 likes this.
    12-02-11 01:14 PM

I removed almost all of the stuff from my device memory on day one, and haven't had a problem since.

Click to view quoted image
    awesome tip! thanks!
    12-02-11 01:20 PM
    One thing I saw is a folder named flash player.plugin. Strange.
    12-02-11 02:54 PM
    No, they are on all devices.

Just open the Files app, select File Folders, click on Device, press Menu then Show Hidden... et voila

where do you fined the "files app"? is this from option or setup?
    12-02-11 08:35 PM
    where do you fined the "files app"? is this from option or setup?
    Neither... look in your Applications folder for the filing cabinet icon.
    12-03-11 01:39 AM
    that is a folder you have there to install pc related software that will auto-run when you plug your device in for the first time to the pc, so to answer your question yes you can safely delete it....

why is there? well remember the good old days when you got a software cd with you shiny new device....those days are gone
    12-03-11 01:49 AM
    I'm finding tons of stuff on the device memory of my 9930 that's totally unecessary. Why would they bog down their new bb7 devices with so much crap? Just because the space is there and it wasn't before?
    12-29-11 02:50 AM
    Would you be able to reupload that picture for me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
    03-11-13 10:19 AM

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...LTIxLmpwZw.jpg
    Would you be able to reupload that picture for me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
    03-11-13 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD