Finally took the plunge to understand what tablets were all about and see what the Playbook brought to the table. Have been trying to keep an open mind Berry vs iPad to focus on the needs of our business, vs caving to peer pressure.

My experience so far :

1) Forced to install an update of the OS before I could use it at all; Update failed repeatedly from 6PM-midnight Saturday, sometimes nothing loaded, a couple of times over 200MB loaded before failure; Finally worked Sunday AM; No idea why

2) Checked out the Newbie thread on the Playbook forum - took 10 min and started to understand the value of a tablet; Carried it around today and understood the value of the Playbook form factor; Tried to use the Bridge - limited functionality on messages, can't access Appworld with it, etc. - not impressed; Realized apps will be key to value (give me Kindle!!!)

3) Tried to buy an app but no joy; Problems logging into Appworld, problems with credit card authentication; Called support and under their direction I tried different things, then hard reset and finally reloaded the OS using Desktop Manager; Also logged into my Berry ID on my desktop to update and save the credit card info as there's supposed to be a known issue using credit cards for the first time with Appworld on the Playbook; Can now log into Appworld but still problems authenticating credit card - new support rep thinks it's a mismatch between the address I entered for the credit card in Appworld and what it shows on the front of my statement (I entered my postal code without a space between the two blocks of characters); Ensured addresses match character-for-character, problem still there but rep says it takes up to 2 hrs for changes to take effect; I'm giving up for tonight

Memo to Appworld developers : Provide meaningful error messages like "Addresses don't match"

Memo to Playbook product manager : It's the eco-system! I'm more patient and tech-savvy than the average consumer and I can barely stand this device now between the forced/failed OS updates and the Appworld issues; The first experience with a new device needs to be simple and pleasurable, not ridiculously complex and painful, requiring multiple calls to support!

If the eco-system and out-of-box experience remains this bad when OS2 comes out, all that will happen is RIM will pi$$ off many more first-time Playbook users who heard the excitement, and they won't come back.

I just can't believe this, though as a Storm/Storm 2 buyer I should have expected it.

And by the way, huge points to those brave enough to do front line tech support for this thing. They're doing a great job with a cra99y product/eco-system and they're way more patient than I would be.

- R.
    lavrishevo and FF22 like this.
    12-02-11 02:41 AM
    When I bought my first iPad, I was pissed off to have to find a PC to link it to before I could do anything. I was travelling and for 3 or 4 days I had an expensive product that could do nothing.
    With the PB, one just need a wifi connection, which is nowadays easier to find than borrowing a PC from someone when you are travelling (and messing that person's PC with iTunes and possibly even getting to a sync with their personal information.....).
    I am sorry you had problems with the original OS update. I had none. It was actually a very smooth experience, also bridging with my Bold 9900.

Now, re the Storm 2, I feel you. I kept the phone less than 24 hours. Everything was wrong about that device.
    alnamvet68 and SCrid2000 like this.
    12-02-11 05:44 AM
    RIM eco system has been a problem for me since my first ancient bb phone. They are not about the "experience" like Apple, but once the products are up and running they're great.
    App World is very immature and signing in is brittle, had frestrations myself.
    But never had a problem with sw updates, they work fine whether wifi or desktop software.
    If you are an experienced RIM customer, as you said, you should expect the "RIM Experience", which it sounds like you had.
    Once you've recovered from the initial bruising you will have a great time with your PB.
    12-02-11 06:16 AM
    I had numerous issues when I got mine last week....no wi-fi in the house (Ihave it now), going back and forth to Starbucks to get her set up 'cause I made mistakes; but you know what, the good folks here kinda' held my hand and pointed in the right direction, and I'm up and running on afterburners. For whatever shortcomings you perceive the PB to have, there are too many benefits to list. You know, I have visited a variety of enthusiast forums, and this is the first one I have ever seen where there appears to be a sub-culture of fanatics bent on destroying the PB and RIM as well. To be clear, I am not saying you (OP) are one of them, but this place on its face looks like an armed camp, almost equally divided, of us (BB aficionados) vs them (haters of all things BB). This is quite unusual for an enthusiasts forum. I firmly believe in a well balanced and objective discussion of all things good and bad about BB products, but much of the shortcomings of any of the products here degenerate into threads numbering several hundred pages, where the hatefull detractors can post their subjective and hatefull vitriole with impunity, and the enthusiast posts are subjected to intense scrutiny or deletion. I must say, this is quite a different experience for me when it comes to forum decorum, the likes of which I have never seen in any other forum. I am just going to assume that it takes a while for a new member to wrap their heads around the concept that the tail here in these forums wags the dog.
    12-02-11 06:21 AM
    I have had NO problems with mine. Upgraded to 1.08, no issues. Upgraded to 2.0 beta, no issues. Running sideloaded Android apps, no issues. Running "N" wifi, no issues. Getting ready to experience OS 7.1 on my new Bold 9900, and expect the Bridge experience to exceed my expectations. Never had an issue with App World either. I guess I got a good one, huh?
    JBenn911 likes this.
    12-02-11 06:42 AM
    I have had NO problems with mine. Upgraded to 1.08, no issues. Upgraded to 2.0 beta, no issues. Running sideloaded Android apps, no issues. Running "N" wifi, no issues. Getting ready to experience OS 7.1 on my new Bold 9900, and expect the Bridge experience to exceed my expectations. Never had an issue with App World either. I guess I got a good one, huh?

So did 90 % of the world.

More FUD, let it go..

This site is multiplatform, its like sticking deer in the lions den at the zoo, tell them to play nice, they need to share the space.
    12-02-11 07:08 AM
    RIM eco system has been a problem for me since my first ancient bb phone. They are not about the "experience" like Apple, but once the products are up and running they're great.
    App World is very immature and signing in is brittle, had frestrations myself.
    But never had a problem with sw updates, they work fine whether wifi or desktop software.
    If you are an experienced RIM customer, as you said, you should expect the "RIM Experience", which it sounds like you had.
    Once you've recovered from the initial bruising you will have a great time with your PB.
    Not that it is really relevant, but I just wonder what the Apple experience is. They have pretty boxes, yes, but RIM's are not bad. For the real product experience, Apple is slightly sleeker at first impression (if one forgets the iTunes interface which is the ugliest and most impossible to use interface), but RIM is definitely more clever in the real world. Not my intend to bash Apple, I don't really care, but I am just curious why one could feel that there is something like the Apple experience.
    12-02-11 07:11 AM
    . You know, I have visited a variety of enthusiast forums, and this is the first one I have ever seen where there appears to be a sub-culture of fanatics bent on destroying the PB and RIM as well. To be clear, I am not saying you (OP) are one of them, but this place on its face looks like an armed camp, almost equally divided, of us (BB aficionados) vs them (haters of all things BB). This is quite unusual for an enthusiasts forum. I firmly believe in a well balanced and objective discussion of all things good and bad about BB products, but much of the shortcomings of any of the products here degenerate into threads numbering several hundred pages, where the hatefull detractors can post their subjective and hatefull vitriole with impunity, and the enthusiast posts are subjected to intense scrutiny or deletion. I must say, this is quite a different experience for me when it comes to forum decorum, the likes of which I have never seen in any other forum. I am just going to assume that it takes a while for a new member to wrap their heads around the concept that the tail here in these forums wags the dog.
    Very well said. My feeling exactly.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-02-11 07:17 AM
    MY first Playbook experience was fantastic, set up in a star bucks downloaded the updated OS, loaded on the files I needed for work and was gone doing a presentation with it in hours.

that said 3 of my BB friends who purchased PlayBooks during this discount sale have also had hard times connecting to the download server and getting their updates for the first install has usually taken 2-3 times, though post install hickups, they are off and running and are happy,

RIM is slowly getting their act together and making the ecosystem a full fluid environment vs everything acting in pods, 2012 is the year they have to get it together, or they will be looking for a very specialized niche to focus on.
    alnamvet68 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-02-11 07:19 AM
    When I bought my first iPad, I was pissed off to have to find a PC to link it to before I could do anything. I was travelling and for 3 or 4 days I had an expensive product that could do nothing.
    With the PB, one just need a wifi connection, which is nowadays easier to find than borrowing a PC from someone when you are travelling (and messing that person's PC with iTunes and possibly even getting to a sync with their personal information.....).
    I am sorry you had problems with the original OS update. I had none. It was actually a very smooth experience, also bridging with my Bold 9900.

Now, re the Storm 2, I feel you. I kept the phone less than 24 hours. Everything was wrong about that device.
    People hate it when iPad is brought into the discussion for any comparison unless the iPad is somehow inferior...
    12-02-11 07:25 AM
    People hate it when iPad is brought into the discussion for any comparison unless the iPad is somehow inferior...
    Not really a fair comment in this environment which becomes surprisingly very quickly not only pro-Apple but fiercely against RIM.
    I have both, the iPad (then iPad 2) for about 2 years, the PB for a few weeks. Let's talk only about the product, because I am indeed very much pro-RIM and uncomfortable with the Apple brand and its quasi-religious (although extremely money oriented) ethos.
    iPad is a nice product, I enjoy watching pictures or videos on the big screen, reading with the Kindle app with direct access to the dictionary or Google, very nice. The few games I have are great too. I cannot stand iTunes and how difficult it is to manage files. Wifi is stable after I spent about 6 months ago about 1 hour on the phone with the router assistance to change all the set ups.
    For the PlayBook, I like its size for carrying it around, less for reading, obviously. The multitasking, swiping and touching is so smart, I could cry. For my usage, the bridge with my 9900 is mindboggling. The HDMI connection for presentations is brilliant. Yes some aspects feel unfinished, but I can see so much potential, it does not bother me much.
    So I think it is great to have both and I am glad I have kept one iPad (I kept the original one rather than the 2, because I much prefer the way the volume and on/off buttons are placed). I use it at home and the PB on the road.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 12-02-11 at 07:53 AM.
    12-02-11 07:51 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I'm talking about when I speak of objectivity. Bravo Zulu!
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-02-11 07:54 AM
    RIM is slowly getting their act together and making the ecosystem a full fluid environment vs everything acting in pods, 2012 is the year they have to get it together, or they will be looking for a very specialized niche to focus on.
    I agree entirely. The BB environment is developing well, slowly but well nonetheless.
    12-02-11 08:14 AM
    that said 3 of my BB friends who purchased PlayBooks during this discount sale have also had hard times connecting to the download server and getting their updates for the first install has usually taken 2-3 times,
    Hopefully, people realize any software download site will be stressed when a large number of people connect to the server simultaneously. This cannot be blamed on Research In Motion unless you expect their infrastructure to be designed for peak demand when in reality these heavy loads are the exception rather than the rule. It would be similar to building a house with 20 bedrooms and 10 bathrooms to accommodate all your guests over the Christmas holidays but the rest of the year these rooms are unused.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-02-11 08:17 AM
    The PB has been out less than a year, the iPad several. Give it some time to tweak things. The potential is huge.
    12-02-11 08:22 AM
    If you look at other brands and see no current or pending updates, leave quickly. At least BB is proactive in an effort to provide a useful and stable product, with ongoing support.
    12-02-11 08:34 AM
    I had no issues setting up mine and my bridge works fantastically. Some people struggle with tech but I agree with the house analogy. This is a busy time due to the fire sale.
    alnamvet68 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    12-02-11 08:46 AM
    This NY Times article indicates to me that RIM remains committed to the Playbook. If you have a BB PB or other device, you should feel good that you will continue to receive support.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/bu...tes-again.html
    12-02-11 08:47 AM
    Not really a fair comment in this environment which becomes surprisingly very quickly not only pro-Apple but fiercely against RIM.
    I have both, the iPad (then iPad 2) for about 2 years, the PB for a few weeks. Let's talk only about the product, because I am indeed very much pro-RIM and uncomfortable with the Apple brand and its quasi-religious (although extremely money oriented) ethos.
    iPad is a nice product, I enjoy watching pictures or videos on the big screen, reading with the Kindle app with direct access to the dictionary or Google, very nice. The few games I have are great too. I cannot stand iTunes and how difficult it is to manage files. Wifi is stable after I spent about 6 months ago about 1 hour on the phone with the router assistance to change all the set ups.
    For the PlayBook, I like its size for carrying it around, less for reading, obviously. The multitasking, swiping and touching is so smart, I could cry. For my usage, the bridge with my 9900 is mindboggling. The HDMI connection for presentations is brilliant. Yes some aspects feel unfinished, but I can see so much potential, it does not bother me much.
    So I think it is great to have both and I am glad I have kept one iPad (I kept the original one rather than the 2, because I much prefer the way the volume and on/off buttons are placed). I use it at home and the PB on the road.
    No, its fair. I don't care about the iPad at all but people go nuts if you say anything good about it. Bad comments are the only comments you can get away where the iPad is concerned. Just my observation.
    12-02-11 05:35 PM
    Because of the different form factors, it's apples and oranges to compare the iPad to the PB. You either prefer one size or the other, or, like some here, use both for different things. But, let's face it: the iPad "ecosystem" is vastly superior to that of the PB. Given today's news, it's also doubtful the PB ecosystem will show significant improvement, although we can always hope...
    12-02-11 10:16 PM
    If they want to improve the ecosystem they have to improve their developer tools more than they have. It's a frustrating experience setting a BB dev environment up and WebWorks (much as I want to like it) feels early and incomplete/unpolished.
    12-02-11 11:21 PM
    No, its fair. I don't care about the iPad at all but people go nuts if you say anything good about it. Bad comments are the only comments you can get away where the iPad is concerned. Just my observation.
    Well, nobody went nuts on my comment.

I would go as far as saying that if one can afford it, the iPad is a must have in one's household.
    But I could never say anything good about the iTunes interface, nor about the Apple religion.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 12-03-11 at 02:36 AM.
    12-03-11 02:30 AM
    Well, nobody went nuts on my comment.

I would go as far as saying that if one can afford it, the iPad is a must have in one's household.
    But I could never say anything good about the iTunes interface, nor about the Apple religion.
    No one went nuts cause it was something negative about it.
    12-03-11 07:38 AM
    The PB has been out less than a year, the iPad several. Give it some time to tweak things. The potential is huge.
    Provided future software updates for the first generation BlackBerry PlayBook continues in the post-2.0 world when BlackBerry PlayBook 4G/LTE and BBX (BBPBOS 2.0) is released presumably in February of 2012, I will enjoy this tablet for years to come.
    12-03-11 07:56 AM
    I couldn't agree more! I dumped all my bb products this month because of their terrible support structure, mainly stemming from appworld issues. It's intolerable in this day and age when the competition have ecosystems that work flawlessly and are 100x more vast. If RIM decide to step up their game and finally invest in a system that works and a support structure to back it up I might go back and try again. Until then, hardware aside, the competition is a better fit for me.

Finally took the plunge to understand what tablets were all about and see what the Playbook brought to the table. Have been trying to keep an open mind Berry vs iPad to focus on the needs of our business, vs caving to peer pressure.

My experience so far :

1) Forced to install an update of the OS before I could use it at all; Update failed repeatedly from 6PM-midnight Saturday, sometimes nothing loaded, a couple of times over 200MB loaded before failure; Finally worked Sunday AM; No idea why

2) Checked out the Newbie thread on the Playbook forum - took 10 min and started to understand the value of a tablet; Carried it around today and understood the value of the Playbook form factor; Tried to use the Bridge - limited functionality on messages, can't access Appworld with it, etc. - not impressed; Realized apps will be key to value (give me Kindle!!!)

3) Tried to buy an app but no joy; Problems logging into Appworld, problems with credit card authentication; Called support and under their direction I tried different things, then hard reset and finally reloaded the OS using Desktop Manager; Also logged into my Berry ID on my desktop to update and save the credit card info as there's supposed to be a known issue using credit cards for the first time with Appworld on the Playbook; Can now log into Appworld but still problems authenticating credit card - new support rep thinks it's a mismatch between the address I entered for the credit card in Appworld and what it shows on the front of my statement (I entered my postal code without a space between the two blocks of characters); Ensured addresses match character-for-character, problem still there but rep says it takes up to 2 hrs for changes to take effect; I'm giving up for tonight

Memo to Appworld developers : Provide meaningful error messages like "Addresses don't match"

Memo to Playbook product manager : It's the eco-system! I'm more patient and tech-savvy than the average consumer and I can barely stand this device now between the forced/failed OS updates and the Appworld issues; The first experience with a new device needs to be simple and pleasurable, not ridiculously complex and painful, requiring multiple calls to support!

If the eco-system and out-of-box experience remains this bad when OS2 comes out, all that will happen is RIM will pi$$ off many more first-time Playbook users who heard the excitement, and they won't come back.

I just can't believe this, though as a Storm/Storm 2 buyer I should have expected it.

And by the way, huge points to those brave enough to do front line tech support for this thing. They're doing a great job with a cra99y product/eco-system and they're way more patient than I would be.

- R.
    12-03-11 08:18 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD