Hi,
    Got my 9900 on november 5th from at&t. I plugged it in to charge last night and this morning (dec 1st) I woke up to a brick. I wasn't using a charging dock, or a non oem charger, didnt install any new software, etc.
    I brought it in to the store and got it swapped for a new one. The guy working there tried to convince me to switch to the iphone; maybe I should have. I hear that my problem is an all to common one with this phone and am worried about having it happen again.
    BTW the person at the store said I'm the first person to come in with this problem so maybe its not as common as i think. (and this is a VERY busy store)

I read an article that says this is a software problem but I don't know if i believe that because the problem seems to happen when the phone is being charged.
    Last edited by Jonny1500; 12-01-11 at 07:44 PM.
    12-01-11 07:33 PM
    A lot of people complaining about bricking when charging over night...
    A thinking person wouldn't charge over night if he knows there might be a problem.
    12-01-11 07:40 PM
    Hi,
    Got my 9900 on november 5th from at&t. I plugged it in to charge last night and this morning (dec 1st) I woke up to a brick. I wasn't using a charging dock, or a non oem charger, didnt install any new software, etc.
    I brought it in to the store and got it swapped for a new one. The guy working there tried to convince me to switch to the iphone; maybe I should have. I hear that my problem is an all to common one with this phone and am worried about having it happen again.
    BTW the person at the store said I'm the first person to come in with this problem so maybe its not as common as i think. (and this is a VERY busy store)
    OK if yours is the first to come back to this store why they try to talk you into an iphone?
    12-01-11 07:44 PM
    Sorry to hear about that. Mine hicupped yesterday by not charging overnight and then getting the 'cannot charge device' messge on a different charger, but a soft boot cured that ... so far. Keeping fingers crossed for now. Do you happen to remember how low your battery got before you plugged it in last night? I'm hearing it's a good practice to not let these run down too far (mine was in the 20's) until RIM comes out with a fix.
    12-01-11 07:46 PM
    OK if yours is the first to come back to this store why they try to talk you into an iphone?
    The person who was helping me was a former blackberry user for a long time but says once he switched to the iphone he would never go back. I told him I need a keyboard, and he added that he once thought the same thing but that after a week or so the touch screen is like second nature. They are both the same price and i had 30 days to exchange it.

RIM claims this is a software problem, but again im not sure if thats true.
    12-01-11 07:47 PM
    Do you happen to remember how low your battery got before you plugged it in last night? I'm hearing it's a good practice to not let these run down too far (mine was in the 20's) until RIM comes out with a fix.
    I think it was actually about half full, maybe a bit more. I'm just going to make sure i dont leave it plugged in overnight anymore. Hope that info helps.
    12-01-11 07:49 PM
    Man.
    This is bad.
    Mine also hicupped today as a posted in different thread.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well bc I really like this phone.
    I hpe RIM is working on a fix cuz I can't see myself going back to iphone. Please RIM don't make me go back to the iphone, please!!!
    12-01-11 07:57 PM
    This is sucky, part of the reason I enjoy Blackberry is due to the issues that it doesn't get that others due, mainly battery life, quick email and fast charging with the ability to stay plugged in all night. This is so sad, I wish your new Berry a long life.
    12-01-11 08:34 PM
    I woke up to a Brick as Well and I am GD mad!!!!

I have had my 9930 since the 1st of sept. I went out to Verizon, they said they would gladly warranty phone, but do not have any in stock, they have not sold a BB at that location for 2 months now. I paid the couple buck to have Fedex over night replacement.

But I am really thinking this is the last straw. Will be looking for other options now.

I have had the error 102, I believe that was the error. That was PITA to get phone back going and lost some data.

I need a phone I can rely on, and this 9930 is proving that it is not up to the task..... May go back to my tour! It may have been slow but it worked!
    12-01-11 09:14 PM
    Bricking of AT&T 9900 is very rare and seems to have occurred with other carriers as well as the wrong OEM charger like the one for the PB. it could also been a result of using an unofficial leaked OS.
    12-01-11 09:19 PM
    A thinking person wouldn't charge over night if he knows there might be a problem.
    Oops. I guess I'm not as smart as I thought; I've always charged my devices while I sleep as that's the only time I don't seem to be using them.
    12-01-11 09:22 PM
    Hi,

I read an article that says this is a software problem but I don't know if i believe that because the problem seems to happen when the phone is being charged.
    Loss of a device whether it be due to theft or failing to function is painful; you'll have to assess pros and cons and decide what your needs are. Keep in mind that the "bricking phenomena" is not plagueing every device out there as some would have you believe.
    12-01-11 09:28 PM
    Sorry to hear about that. Mine hicupped yesterday by not charging overnight and then getting the 'cannot charge device' messge on a different charger, but a soft boot cured that ... so far. Keeping fingers crossed for now. Do you happen to remember how low your battery got before you plugged it in last night? I'm hearing it's a good practice to not let these run down too far (mine was in the 20's) until RIM comes out with a fix.
    I dropped my battery to 10% and plug it in to charge overnight and had no issues at all with running OS 7.0.0.261 and the leaked OS 7.1.0.74. OP, it may be helpful if you can also post your PRD number with the country of origin(made in).

PRD-39473-001 - Telus - Mexico 4

I think this is a hardware issue and RIM is downplaying saying this is a OS issue.

Also read: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cement-668999/
    12-01-11 09:29 PM
    AT&T phones have not been released a month, and now we are starting to see a few people with issues. I expect to see more AT&T bricked threads in the near future.

Aggravates me. I really want to purchase one, but if I questions its reliability, then why buy it? I have a feeling this is much bigger issue than most believe.
    12-01-11 09:36 PM
    AT&T phones have not been released a month, and now we are starting to see a few people with issues. I expect to see more AT&T bricked threads in the near future.

Aggravates me. I really want to purchase one, but if I questions its reliability, then why buy it? I have a feeling this is much bigger issue than most believe.
    I also think that this has to do with actual physical RAM module and/or the power management module.

According to what I know about Java, if there is an issue with power management module, even when the power is at 100%, the JVM errors will be generated. If the RAM is not managed well by the main chip, it will also auto reboot the device in a loop. I may be wrong.... but anyway, I think this is a hardware issue not a software one.
    mjordan5 likes this.
    12-01-11 09:49 PM
    I say, dont buy a 9900. Even the Crackberry founder Kevin has had this happen to his 9900..... so I am trying like crazy to night to get my 9630 back online.

What a PITA!

Since I have owned the 9930 I have spent atleast a week without a BB / phone...... Can not deal with this anymore. I see an Iphone in my future.
    12-01-11 09:57 PM
    Everytime I think about buying a 99xx, I hear (read) something negative. Even Kevin has posted that his 99xx has "bricked" a couple of times. C'mon man (RIM) how about getting this problem fixed. I don't like the idea of buying a phone and wondering when its going to BRICK.
    12-01-11 09:58 PM
    This just happened to me tonight/this morning. Nothing but a flashing red light just teasing me there. Second 9930 to die on me.
    12-16-11 10:53 AM
    So we can add don't charge overnight to the list.....
    12-16-11 11:00 AM
    My question is how does the phone no the difference between charging at night or charging in the day time? I don't see how just because it's night time it makes the phone brick
    12-16-11 12:15 PM
    My question is how does the phone no the difference between charging at night or charging in the day time? I don't see how just because it's night time it makes the phone brick
    Don't you know things go bump in the night?

I have to wonder if it something to do with bedside mode or auto on and off. Things like that most only do at night.
    12-16-11 12:34 PM
    Don't you know things go bump in the night?

I have to wonder if it something to do with bedside mode or auto on and off. Things like that most only do at night.
    Or being left on charge for hours after the battery is full ???

I use the OEM charging pod but always charge before I go to bed and take off charge no more that an hour after it is fully charged.

Turn phone off while I am asleep and turn on again in the morning with 100% battery.

Even from 40% battery charges in under an hour, becomes a routine and no risk of the dreaded flashing red light to wake up to.
    12-16-11 12:40 PM
    Would think someone could've figured it out by now.

Edit: Side note, I will keep my 9850 plugged in after a full charge for hours while surfing thru bridge on my playbook. Knock on wood nothing bad yet.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-16-11 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add
    12-16-11 01:09 PM
    I tried a I4s for almost 2 weeks and ill tell ya i dont see what the hypes all about. I message sucks compared to bbm! Mine had to get replaced after only 1 day-

http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-4s-for...onnecting.html Samething happened to me. As for shortcuts/ and copy and pasting a text or email not close to bb. battery life was pretty bad also! Siri/i4s is a data hog I used 200 mb in 10 days. Apps are nice on the iphone BUT I found myself downloading them and then just taking up wasted space. What I missed the most was BBM/keyboard yeah the virtual keyboard sucks compared to the 9900! Email,shortcuts ,Led,(berry buzz) and many others. So now I know its not for me. So dont think the Iphone is your savior because I think you'll disappointed atleast I was
    then you've used it wrong...i admit the battery is suck (but still better than 9900 before the hybrid .540/.585) but other than that, iP4s is great multimedia and im-ing/social (i prefer tweet, whatsapp etc on my iphone). but so is 9900, its great handling my mail n bbm. i cant separate my 9900 and iP4s, its like adam n eve... i understand some are having bad luck with bricking case of 9900, so i guess there are only 2 options, use other BB (9790 seems great and i read that it has great battery life) or go with iPhone (if you can live w/out bbm... considering that for some BB user, bbm is not that important). as for mails, now push mails for yahoo and googlemail is at the same par on iphone as well as BB, the only downside is that on iPhone it eats your battery more than on BB. googlecal works like a charm between my 9900-mac-iP4s. Besides, nothing is perfect...
    12-16-11 01:28 PM
    What a stupid comment.

How much RIM koolaid have you been drinking?

Sorry but when a user can not plug a phone in before they go to bed and expect it to be working in the morning, it is not a user problem.!!!
    12-16-11 01:30 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD