Exclusive: BlackBerry PlayBook 2 tablet still in the works?

Mobility News
    Allan Swann
    Published 30 November 2011
    RIM has confirmed that it is still building tablets, including a PlayBook 2, despite critics suggesting it had cancelled the project

Research in Motion's director of EMEA enterprise marketing has confirmed that there will be new BlackBerry tablets coming out in 2012, apparently including a PlayBook 2.

The company confirmed yesterday during its BlackBerry Mobile Fusion announcement that the new platform would be built with tight PlayBook support, including native email and calendar applications to go along with the PlayBook OS 2.0 update. Rumours have dogged the company after its PlayBook 10-inch and PlayBook 4G/LTE devices never saw the light of day.

When CBR asked if there were any plans for BlackBerry to move out of the tablet and handset market in light of the announcement, Mr Hodkinson replied:

"Certainly not. This has been our biggest year ever for the introduction of new smartphones, and Blackberry 7 devices. We've also announced the BBX platform for next year as well. Our roadmap for our new product introduction over the last six months, and the direction we're going is to have a full smartphone and tablet range in the market."

When asked if the company was looking at expanding its tablet offering with a PlayBook 2, not to be confused with the Playbook OS 2.0 software update, Mr Hodkinson confirmed that new tablet devices were in the works.

"Yes. We are looking beyond the Playbook 2.0 (software) release in February for tablets. We haven't made any announcements yet, but watch this space. There's going to be a lot happening here in 2012... particularly surrounding the recent BBX announcement made recently."

Specific technical details were not offered.

Following April's launch of the PlayBook, media reports got excited about a new 10-inch PlayBook device. A 4G/LTE version was also meant to have launched in 'Fall 2011', both have disappeared without a trace and several outlets reported that they had been cancelled to focus on the first BBX smartphone, codenamed the 'BBX London'.

Mr Hodkinson's comments would suggest that the reports of the demise of the PlayBook had been much exaggerated. This also means much more is riding on the quality of the February PlayBook OS 2.0 release. Watch this space.

Share:
    Comments
    Post a comment

Comments may be moderated for spam, obscenities or defamation.
    Disqus
    Dislike
    Add New Comment

Post as �
    Showing 0 comments
    Sort by * Subscribe by email * Subscribe by RSS

Mobility News

Related News and Insight

Related News
    Related Sectors
    Systems & Networks> Desktops
    Communications> Mobility

Related Dates
    2011> November

Related Industries
    Technology> Services> Communications> Mobile
    Technology>Software> Software Infrastructure> Mobility> Mobile Applications
    Technology> Hardware> Devices and Peripherals> Mobiles, Hand-Helds, PDAs, Smartphones
    Latest News
    BlackBerry Mobile Fusion UK launch details revealed
    11-30-11 11:32 AM
    PB with cellular modem makes sense. A 10 inch PB makes sense as well if it's integrated with 2.0 OS to BES. Gives people more options in terms of size. I know eveyrone will say no because they bought the PB cuz they love the form factor but there's people out there who didn't because they wanted more real estate. This can also help justify a price difference if they continue to sell the 7inch at 299$ starting.
    11-30-11 01:06 PM
    If they offer a 10", I'll get one of those too.
    11-30-11 01:11 PM
    good that there will be more options but i really hope that when the pb2 hardware refresh comes out, it wont make all the current playbook users who favor the 7" form factor regret buying it.

-hugs 64gb playbook-
    11-30-11 01:11 PM
    From what I take from the "Mobile Fusion" is it will be for the enterprise (BES) users, and a Playbook 2 will incorporate the Mobile Fusion ability.

Sounds like this PB2 will not be for the average consumer, BUT the PB we all have now (with or without BES) will be upgraded to the OS2.

At least that's my take on the OP's post.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 11-30-11 at 02:01 PM.
    11-30-11 01:29 PM
    It figures.
    If RIM are saying they will keep making tablets then a PB 2 is in the works. I would strongly advise them to make a 10 inch too if they still insist on matching ipad prices at launch. I'm guessing valuable lessons have been learnt.
    11-30-11 01:42 PM
    I'm guessing valuable lessons have been learnt.
    I'm guessing you haven't used BlackBerry devices for long.
    11-30-11 01:44 PM
    I now no longer believe anything RIM says until I actually see it. Time will tell.
    11-30-11 01:48 PM
    Information from RIM is just dribbling out. It would be nice if the company could show some kind of roadmap for the PlayBook. Here are some answers by a RIM representative, from a transcript published by blackberrycool:

Q: Version 2.0 won�t have cellular connectivity?
    A: So 2.0 is just software. The cellular devices or the �4G PlayBooks� will be available roughly around the 2.0 software release. The 2.0 software is designed to run on your current, WiFi only PlayBooks, but we will have 4G PlayBooks around the same time as that 2.0 software.

Q: Is the PlayBook 4G being delayed?
    A: We have been in testing for several months on 4G devices and on multiple carriers. Several groups are actively testing them and I have not heard of any delays. As of today (November 22nd), I have not heard anything that would put us off schedule from our early 2012 release.

Q: Will the PlayBook come in other sizes?
    A: Of course we�re obviously investigating sizes and what makes sense for a larger screen. So yes, I don�t know the exact size and I can�t show you anything, but we�re looking at other sizes.

Q: Can you edit and spell check on the native email app?
    A: Yes, absolutely. The logic we have on the BlackBerry in terms of type ahead and word prediction is all in the 2.0 code. You will have the spell check capabilities.
    11-30-11 01:53 PM
    I now no longer believe anything RIM says until I actually see it. Time will tell.
    Indeed. And, in true RIM form, it will probably take a LOT of time.
    11-30-11 03:29 PM
    I do like the 7 inch pb size but i do want a bigger screen, so hopefully they switch bezel gestures to maybe 2 finger gestures and then make bezel smaller. While making the screen size bigger ofcourse. Then i would buy one for sure.
    Last edited by Karma27; 11-30-11 at 04:11 PM.
    11-30-11 03:48 PM
    I love my PlayBook, but I think RIM should spend some of that PlayBook2/10inch money on getting developers for BBX and bolstering the PlayBook's app selection. Always good to look ahead to what's next, but if RIM wants people to buy the 10inch version, they should probably fulfill most of the hype of the 7inch version. If a Chevy Tahoe left people with a taste of "unfinished" in their mouths, they might think twice before running out to buy the Chevy Suburban.

Besides, I swear if the PlayBook had Netflix, Hulu, some more EA games, and had the support of the news outlets making custom news apps for the PlayBook, there really wouldn't be anything people could bash the PlayBook for at all.
    FF22, pjcloninger and allengeorge like this.
    11-30-11 06:07 PM
    I do like the 7 inch pb size but i do want a bigger screen, so hopefully they switch bezel gestures to maybe 2 finger gestures and then make bezel smaller. While making the screen size bigger ofcourse. Then i would buy one for sure.
    Once you learn to fully exploit the bezel, you will understand why the bezel is the size it is.
    11-30-11 06:17 PM
    It seems like they'll make 7" and 10" tablets.

Super-thin bezel swipe tablets....wow
    11-30-11 06:25 PM
    I would probably by the 10" tablet also but it has to be priced right.

I can get a windows tablet now for less than a grand. Because of what a full OS can do (windows) with existing programs I would consider that as well.
    12-01-11 08:21 AM
    Speaking of... I just picked up the Samsung Series 7 Slate and it is fantastic. Excellent size and very fast. You should check it out... I believe the Microsoft Store (in store) is still running a 25% off deal, but I'm not positive.
    12-01-11 09:18 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    sounds great ... 2012 is going to be an awesome year for RIM! .....
    12-01-11 09:25 AM
    Whereas I believe Windows tablets have a bright future, right now they are terrible as far as proper touch screen support. Have you tried one? I have. They're horrible, and I'm not sure W8 will help a lot. Still some work to do there. But they will eventually get it.

If 10" comes out, I too will probably get one, but not to replace my 7". I still prefer the current size, one reason I bought them.

Edit: The Windows 7 tablets I've tried were the Panasonic Toughbook and the Iconia W500. The reviews I've read on several others were equally dismal as far as touch response and smoothness, as well as terrible battery life. Maybe W8 will make the difference, many seem to think so.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-03-12 at 01:08 AM.
    02-03-12 12:53 AM
    Whereas I believe Windows tablets have a bright future, right now they are terrible as far as proper touch screen support. Have you tried one? I have. They're horrible, and I'm not sure W8 will help a lot. Still some work to do there. But they will eventually get it.

If 10" comes out, I too will probably get one, but not to replace my 7". I still prefer the current size, one reason I bought them.

Edit: The Windows 7 tablets I've tried were the Panasonic Toughbook and the Iconia W500. The reviews I've read on several others were equally dismal as far as touch response and smoothness, as well as terrible battery life. Maybe W8 will make the difference, many seem to think so.
    Windows 7 tablets run a desktop OS that even Microsoft acknowledges is barely optimized for a touch interface. Windows 8 is designed with a touch interface and its developer's beta already seems to run very smoothly when loaded on existing Windows 7 tablets (it is barely even a beta). The battery life will be addressed with Windows 8 tablets since 1) they will not carry the overhead of the full Windows 7 OS, and 2) they are actually being designed as mobile devices. Windows 7 tablets have almost all been targeted as business devices that are only nominally mobile (i.e., mobile in an office, not across town). Amazingly, $1000+ Windows 7 tablets still outsell the Playbook and Microsoft doesn't even really market them.
    02-03-12 01:24 AM
    tablet 2 should come out with os 3.0 not 2.0 with further advances.it should not be a minor leap from its predecessor.
    02-03-12 02:37 AM
    Personally the 7 inch tablet is perfect for me & I have my clearwire 4G service anyway so the only thing that can get me to buy a new PlayBook is an amazing new design plus coming in a nice white color.
    02-03-12 03:10 AM
    Great post. After the last year of untruths from RIM I would not believe anything said by RIM. Perhaps if they actually start delivering promised software and not marketing BS...
    02-03-12 04:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD