My PB seems to take about a minute to boot up. Does anyone else out there think this is too long? My iPad certainly doesn't take that long.
    11-30-11 11:28 AM
    Considering you own an 8320, 1min bootup on the PB is considered too long?
    Blacklac and Sprawl like this.
    11-30-11 11:41 AM
    I dont really understand the obsession with boot times. How often are people rebooting?! Some would make it sound like they reboot before they use it every time.

FWIW, the PB is noticeably faster at booting than my previous OS5 BB's. (Well, the Bold 9000 was not too bad actually, it was pretty close to 1 min on a few OS's.)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-30-11 11:44 AM
    I don't turn my PB off so boot time is not an issue. No I don't think 1 minute is too long.
    11-30-11 11:54 AM
    Considering you own an 8320, 1min bootup on the PB is considered too long?
    My 9650/bold takes 11+ minutes to boot. I wish the pb's boot time were contagious.
    11-30-11 12:29 PM
    My PB seems to take about a minute to boot up. Does anyone else out there think this is too long? My iPad certainly doesn't take that long.
    My PB takes 1.5 min to boot. (1.25 min before I installed ~200 apps). It seems about normal.
    Interesting fact: The PB boots up under 40 sec when plugged into the AC.
    11-30-11 12:37 PM
    How long does your ipad take? Is it completely off or just sleeping. If you've timed them both then you can post the time it takes for each from being off and not sleeping.
    11-30-11 12:48 PM
    I recently bought the 64GB Playbook, expecting that it would be virtually 'instant On'.

Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, it takes up to three minutes to completely boot up. [BTW, I've installed OS 2.0 and about 5GB worth of apps.]

Given that my new i3 laptop with a 640GB HDD takes just under a minute to boot up, I am thinking that there is something wrong with my PB setup -- and, that there should be a way to fix it and get much faster boot-up.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!
    03-07-12 12:39 AM
    I have to echo the last poster. Mine takes several minutes to boot. It's a 64G model, with about 10 gigs free, so I don't expect instant on. But it's slower to boot than my groaning four-year-old laptop with an overloaded hard drive. It seems to be a common problem but I don't see why.
    03-07-12 12:44 AM
    Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, it takes up to three minutes to completely boot up.
    I am thinking that there is something wrong with my PB setup -- and, that there should be a way to fix it and get much faster boot-up.
    Nope, all the PBs with OS 2.0 take about 2:50 to boot.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-07-12 12:54 AM
    Nope, all the PBs with OS 2.0 take about 2:50 to boot.
    That sounds about right to me, though I think OS1 booted a fair amount quicker. I'd love to see a 1 minute boot time.
    03-07-12 01:10 AM
    Sounds about right. The booting does take quite some time. Not that I reboot or turn it off that often.

Hope that by the time BB10 is out, the boot time can be significantly reduced. It doesn't really matter on a playbook, but on a phone it needs to be faster.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-07-12 01:18 AM
    Hopefully BB can try to improve the boot time with a future OS upgrade. Mine takes right about 2:50, as someone mentioned above, and that seems way too long IMO.

I never had to reboot with OS1 but with OS2, the browser, contacts, and calendar all seem to get slow and buggy very easily, and only a reboot will correct the issue. Rebooting isn't a big deal...until you have to do it 1-3x a day to get the thing to work correctly.
    03-08-12 01:08 PM
    Same here, 2-3 minutes since OS2... probably twice as long as with 1.0.8.

I honestly don't care about boot time though, I reboot maybe once a week max. Is there any reason some of you guys reboot on a daily basis or even more than that?
    03-08-12 01:17 PM
    ok....I have not rebooted my PB since OS2 dropped and I have had no problems, so a 1 minute boot is a little excessive...

Just Kidding...about the excessive....I may try a boot tonight, but have not really needed to...I guess it's lucky me....
    03-08-12 01:24 PM
    ya, 2.5 minutes is the norm of 2.0's boot time

However. if you're having to do frequent cold boots, something isn't right. The battery is rated for a good 6-8 hours of actual use time. with standby use and typical usage you can go a few days between charges without ever shutting it off.

The powered off state was only intended for use if you plan on going long periods of time without the ability to charge it and uses.

RIM recommends that you leave the PB in standby mode and not power it off otherwise.

However, thats still a good 5 minutes shorter boot than my 9800. AND OMG my 8530 cold boot was painfull, especially everytime you added/removed/updated and application it needed a full reboot!
    shanethebuilder likes this.
    03-08-12 01:28 PM
    If seems reasonable for the boot time to have increased between OS 1.0 and OS 2.0 merely for the fact OS 2.0 includes the BlackBerry Android Virtual Machine subsystem which in all likelihood loads, at least partially, in RAM during the boot-up sequence. Also, depending how the development team got from OS 1.0.8 to OS 2.0.0 there could be other factors involved in the coding of the operating system and user environment itself. Being a fad-driven industry it would not surprise me to hear the development team has a SCRUM Master and uses the SCRUM methodology of software development which, in my opinion, is analogous to a thousand monkeys with typewriters eventually writing all of Shakespeare's plays without ever seeing the originals.
    03-08-12 01:33 PM
    1 minute with OS 1, 2 1/2 minutes OS 2. Don't forget that there is a lot more to wind up in the new OS. I always charge up over night then turn it off until I get to work then reboot whilst I clean the screen. Concurrent activity its called.
    03-08-12 05:01 PM
    Mine takes anywhere from 2:45-2:55 min to load with a fresh OS2 install and nothing else added, longer than the previous OS. No matter how you sugar coat it I find that unacceptable and have little faith we'll see any change nor that an update for noted issues will be coming anytime soon. Call me a pessimist but past history kind of sums it up and no one can deny that fact.
    03-08-12 11:07 PM
    I ... have little faith we'll see any change nor that an update for noted issues will be coming anytime soon. Call me a pessimist but past history kind of sums it up and no one can deny that fact.
    If you're saying it's a fact that past history means no update will be coming any time soon, then I'll deny that fact.
    03-08-12 11:17 PM
    I must not lead a very important or demanding life. While I do notice the additional time it takes to boot or restart, it is not like an endless process and hopefully, it is not necessary all that often. Now the fact that my 9650 took about 12 minutes to boot did irritate me much more than this.
    03-08-12 11:57 PM
    If you're saying it's a fact that past history means no update will be coming any time soon, then I'll deny that fact.
    Oh sorry... Not wanting to get into a debate but I should have said "worthwhile updates" in that they clearly improve functionality yet don't take away in some other area, the boot time increase is a good example. And to clarify, I am not basing my opinion solely on that one element, for me OS2 did little to light a fire under my PB.
    03-09-12 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD