Seems like the new update has fuddled up backing up our PBs?

Suggestions?
    11-28-11 07:35 PM
    From what i read the problem is caused on devices which previously had the leaked android player installed. The only solution is to do a security wipe. This proved true to me. I have since done the security wipe and backed up without any issue.
    11-28-11 07:39 PM
    I wish I knew what was different about my PB or desktop because I have never had a problem backing up.
    11-28-11 07:49 PM
    ya me too cuz ive never had any leaks installed. prior to trying os2 i could not back up.
    11-28-11 07:58 PM
    yeah, me too.. I cannot backup using 1.0.8, with 2.0, I can only backup settings and media . It appears that there's a bad app preventing me from backing up properly. Problem is finding that app. Any ideas, anyone? Might have to resort to brute-force in finding the app in question if there's no good lead.
    11-28-11 08:07 PM
    my pb backs up fine.
    I have nothing installed on it.
    11-28-11 08:09 PM
    Never installed the beta. I canNOT do either a full backup or a selective/custom backup. NO backup.
    11-28-11 08:52 PM
    Seems like the new update has fuddled up backing up our PBs?

Suggestions?
    Never installed the beta. I canNOT do either a full backup or a selective/custom backup. NO backup.
    Finally people have been having the same problem as I have (not that I am rejoicing)... I started a thread on this and someone replied saying that once you have over a certain number of apps (or the apps take up a certain amount of space) then back ups can't be done or errors are had when trying to back up.

I notice that I can back up my items separately (apps only, or settings only) but if I try backing them up together, I get: "There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the back up. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

Here's the link to the thread I started: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ing-up-673341/

Hopefully we can get this fixed

EDIT: Oh, I never installed the leaked Android Player, nor have I had OS 2 installed.
    11-28-11 09:05 PM
    I agree - a security wipe does the job. I couldn't do any kind of backup, but the wipe fixed it completely.
    11-28-11 09:06 PM
    I was unable to back up my PB from the day I purchased it. I had to do a security wipe and now it backs up no problem. I have never had any beta or android software on my device.
    11-28-11 10:00 PM
    From what i read the problem is caused on devices which previously had the leaked android player installed. The only solution is to do a security wipe. This proved true to me. I have since done the security wipe and backed up without any issue.
    I don't have the android player installed and I can't back up my application data. Fortunately, I was able to back up my media data, so if I have to do a security wipe, it won't be the end of the world. I wonder why the BB tech didn't suggest it? Hope I can find out what a security wipe is somewhere on this forum....
    11-28-11 10:13 PM
    No problems here with backups either, and with quite a few apps. Updated this weekend via DM and did a backup this evening still no probs. FWIW I use this PB pretty heavily for work, correspondingly, I back up at least every two days.
    11-28-11 10:50 PM
    try wiping and installing 2.0?
    11-28-11 11:44 PM
    try wiping and installing 2.0?
    There you go. As if I don't have enough problems as is!

I never installed the android player in the past/present/future either.

I have been toying with a wipe for ages now and keep putting it off - so many mp3, pics and larger videos.
    11-29-11 12:31 AM
    There you go. As if I don't have enough problems as is!

I never installed the android player in the past/present/future either.

I have been toying with a wipe for ages now and keep putting it off - so many mp3, pics and larger videos.
    I agree. I am kinda scared of a wipe.

But now I feel better with have Box.Net and backups of my media files so today I plan to do a security wipe. Any one have a link to the thread on doing the security wipe correctly?

Mods?

I need to wipe and do a backup after reinstall so that I can prep for upcoming screen and bezel replacement (dropped my PB yesterday from countertop).
    11-29-11 05:23 AM
    I agree. I am kinda scared of a wipe.

But now I feel better with have Box.Net and backups of my media files so today I plan to do a security wipe. Any one have a link to the thread on doing the security wipe correctly?

Mods?

I need to wipe and do a backup after reinstall so that I can prep for upcoming screen and bezel replacement (dropped my PB yesterday from countertop).
    Just hit the gear, security and wipe type blackberry.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    11-29-11 05:40 AM
    Finally people have been having the same problem as I have (not that I am rejoicing)... I started a thread on this and someone replied saying that once you have over a certain number of apps (or the apps take up a certain amount of space) then back ups can't be done or errors are had when trying to back up.

I notice that I can back up my items separately (apps only, or settings only) but if I try backing them up together, I get: "There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the back up. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

Here's the link to the thread I started: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ing-up-673341/

Hopefully we can get this fixed

EDIT: Oh, I never installed the leaked Android Player, nor have I had OS 2 installed.
    Yup. My experience exactly.

I've also never installed the OS2 Beta or Android player... just a vanilla 16GB PB with a mix of free and paid apps installed and a few videos to watch at lunch.

This problem pre-dates the 1.08 update as I have been unable to do a backup (full or partial) for several months with 1.07. I did a full backup in July, but have never been able to since.

Please fix this RIM, it's clearly a problem for more than a couple of us.

I finally did an update to 1.08 (through DM not OTA, and after checking my router wasn't "N"). I was distinctly nervous about proceeding with the update anyway given the multiple threads on update problems... being unable to do a backup first didn't help to ease my anxieties!
    11-29-11 07:05 AM
    I've never installed the android player or OS2 beta either and have never really been able to do a backup either. I want to do a security wipe but i don't want to lose all my current data. How can i proceed if i can't back anything up?

THX
    11-29-11 07:44 AM
    I've never installed the android player or OS2 beta either and have never really been able to do a backup either. I want to do a security wipe but i don't want to lose all my current data. How can i proceed if i can't back anything up?

THX
    EXACTLY... how or why would I want to wipe my PB when its not backed up??
    I have this thing loaded with stuff.
    Apps and more.
    11-29-11 07:49 AM
    I was also unable to backup until I reinstalled DTM, turned off PB, opened up DTM, plugged in PB then turned it on. This finally allowed me to do a custom backup but only for data and settings. I have never installed 2.0 and in view of the problems with the new update, I am concerned about installing this also. I understand that some apps may be causing problems with backing up but I had deleted most of my apps befor trying to backup and it still caused problems. RIM do you hear us?
    11-29-11 08:12 AM
    I opened my new PB last night, it updated to 1.0.8.4985, and had no errors backing up this morning on my PC. Hopefully I won't run into this bugaboo.
    11-29-11 08:15 AM
    I have too have never installed android or OS2.0 and haven't been able to back up since April 19th.
    11-29-11 08:58 AM

THX
    I have pretty much all DATA (pictures, videos, docs, pdf's, downloads) manually backed up. I manually copied those various files to my computer. It can be tedious and takes time for 25-30gigs of data. So that's how that is accomplished.

Apps - well, those that are currently in appworld are maintained by appworld and supposedly can be retrieved. Older apps that have changed in price from free or cheaper to higher, those may be lost as they cannot be backed up. I will lose those older apps if I don't want to pay for them.

I will wind up losing Bookmarks and any settings for all apps. Those cannot be backed up.

The restoration, will reverse the processes. I can copy whatever is on my computer back to the pb. Again, slow.

As for how long - I know my problem even predates the 1.0.7 update. I have UNinstalled and REinstalled Desktop Manager. I have found older versions of DM and tried those. I even now have the beta DM and nothing has worked.

A security wipe is in my future. I just have to decide when!
    11-29-11 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD