Hey everyone,

I have noticed reduced performance in the browser since 1.8.

I select a bookmark to open and it takes over 2 mins sometimes to load. sometimes even longer.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    11-28-11 08:36 AM
    Nope. However, some websites do load slower than other websites depending how much JavaScript is loaded. CrackBerry, with all its content-delivery-network advertisements, makes loading this website on a smartphone a nightmare and on a tablet minimally acceptable; even on the desktop it is a resource hog.
    kbz1960 and craiggger like this.
    11-28-11 08:39 AM
    You might want to reboot our playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-11 08:46 AM
    A lot of people have had wifi issues with this update. Most people (including me) have resolved the issue by changing their router settings to G only or B/G network mode. Apparently this update can cause wifi issues with routers on N network.
    11-28-11 08:48 AM
    yes, i have a worse problem. since 1.8, wifi disconnects very frequently. sometimes maintains the connection for only 10 seconds.
    i have noticed, if i just ignore the disconnect, it will reconnect after maybe a minute, but the disconnect again after a few seconds. that might be your problem of taking minutes to download. it could be disconnecting, pausing then reconnecting.
    i thought right after 1.8 was released, lots of similiar complaints and someone contacted BB and they were zupposed to release a fix today. i'm waiting and waiting and.....
    sorry about the spelling,
    11-28-11 08:50 AM
    It was I who contacted BB support and was told they would issue a release today. We'll see....

In the meantime, manually changing my router setting from Mixed Mode (N backwards compatible to B & G) to Wireless G has helped a lot. Clearing the cache and disabling cookies --the method recommended by BB -- only allowed me to browse 3 or four websites before the problem reoccurred. Plus, I had to then manually log in to all my usual forums.

It's clear to me that the 1.08 update created new wireless problems for many who previously had none. It's fine for me to change my own router (well not really -- all our other devices were happy on N) but I doubt I can get Starbucks, MacDonald's, and various hotels to do the same, just because BB made boo boo. A fix is definitely needed, and soon.
    11-28-11 09:54 AM
    Wifi operation seems nominal for me. Flash playback is better than ever.

If I get a hanging page, I simply stop the load and then refresh. Works everytime though find doing it a second or third time is occasionally necessary.
    11-28-11 10:12 AM
    It was I who contacted BB support and was told they would issue a release today. We'll see....

In the meantime, manually changing my router setting from Mixed Mode (N backwards compatible to B & G) to Wireless G has helped a lot. Clearing the cache and disabling cookies --the method recommended by BB -- only allowed me to browse 3 or four websites before the problem reoccurred. Plus, I had to then manually log in to all my usual forums.

It's clear to me that the 1.08 update created new wireless problems for many who previously had none. It's fine for me to change my own router (well not really -- all our other devices were happy on N) but I doubt I can get Starbucks, MacDonald's, and various hotels to do the same, just because BB made boo boo. A fix is definitely needed, and soon.
    Now that you mention it, I was out and about this weekend and did notice some odd device behavior when trying to hook up to a couple of wifi spots. However, I was always able to connect.
    11-28-11 10:17 AM
    If I get a hanging page, I simply stop the load and then refresh. Works everytime though find doing it a second or third time is occasionally necessary.
    And you're happy with that?
    11-28-11 10:29 AM
    And you're happy with that?
    Only happens occasionally and I don't find it to be a big deal by any means. I get stuck pages on my laptop (which is now a dust collector pretty much) too. Sometimes just hitting the link again does the trick. I don't wait around to do it. If there's a hang after a few seconds I'll reclick or refresh. Maybe that's why it's not an issue for me.

The thing about the OS is that it doesn't care how or when or what else is going on elsewhere on the device. The OS rarely gets jammed. A process may be buggy but the OS doesn't care. Feel free to force an issue like a hanging page. QNX is very different than other tab operating systems.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-28-11 10:40 AM
    My Playbook and I just returned from a trip to Belize. I upgraded at my house there using my satellite Internet. After the upgrade the browser works much faster than before. Had no issues at any hotels or at the airports making connections. So for me this was a very good update.
    11-28-11 01:17 PM
    A lot of people have had wifi issues with this update. Most people (including me) have resolved the issue by changing their router settings to G only or B/G network mode. Apparently this update can cause wifi issues with routers on N network.
    I have noticed when playing moern combat and browsing my connection will stop working even though my wifi bars are full.. disconnecting and reconnecting fixed this everytime and its only started since the new update and i just set it to b+g only to see if that will help
    11-28-11 02:26 PM
    i noticed my browser doesnt hang nearly as much as it used to. The actual speed doesnt seem to have changed much though. i do agree with shootsscores and say that flash playback is definitely better. very smooth in my opinion. The experience is a tad bit better overall but i still believe RIM isnt anywhere near done tweaking this browser. Im sure the Torch team has some great things in store for this browser
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-28-11 02:32 PM
    i just received my 16GB playbook from Rim from the $199 sale, and it updated the os to version 1.0.8.4985. When i play cityville on it, the browser crashes frequently. the facebook app doesnt load at all. most of the apps already knstalled take a few minutes to load. is tjis normal? if so, i think i'll be getting rid of this.
    12-05-11 05:33 AM
    No complaints here. Everything works just peachy.
    12-05-11 05:59 AM
    Hey everyone,

I have noticed reduced performance in the browser since 1.8.

I select a bookmark to open and it takes over 2 mins sometimes to load. sometimes even longer.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Yes. It happens to me all the time since 1.08.

Using the browser (via bridge) is now an almost painful process to the point where I simply don't bother to browse using the PB. The page does eventually load 99% of the time, but takes so long that I frequently have to touch the screen to get the backlight to come on again because the PB has started to go to sleep.

It all related to the general breakage of WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity in OS1.08 I reckon.

Go RIM!
    12-05-11 07:07 AM
    NO problems here, if anything browser is slightly faster. Didn't have to do a router reset or nothing. My PlayBook is working at optimal peak performance
    12-05-11 07:18 AM
    Such different experiences. Makes me glad I skipped this update and went to the beta as browsing is the most important part for me. On the beta once in awhile while browsing using bridge I'll get an error but just touch retry and it loads. It is also faster for me and I haven't had one closure and I use to get those on 1.7 while using the browser over bridge. I also have no trouble with wifi but never have. When first bought I did the initial update at burger king lol.

This to me proves that someone messed something up on 1.8 update and that it will get much better in future updates.
    12-05-11 08:14 AM
    Such different experiences. Makes me glad I skipped this update and went to the beta as browsing is the most important part for me. On the beta once in awhile while browsing using bridge I'll get an error but just touch retry and it loads. It is also faster for me and I haven't had one closure and I use to get those on 1.7 while using the browser over bridge. I also have no trouble with wifi but never have. When first bought I did the initial update at burger king lol.

This to me proves that someone messed something up on 1.8 update and that it will get much better in future updates.
    Well, I am just waiting for my PB to arrive this week. Should I skip the update and go to beta, and if so, how do I do this?
    12-05-11 08:20 AM

Well, whatever the "mess up" was, it hasn't affected me; of course, I don't have 10,000 game apps, 57,000 songs, 16,000 Android apps, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-11 08:20 AM
    Well, I am just waiting for my PB to arrive this week. Should I skip the update and go to beta, and if so, how do I do this?
    That would be up to you. Some have no problem with the official and some do, some have no problem with developer beta and some do.

I will warn you it is a developer beta and some things don't work that work on the official or are not even present. I guess it matters what is important to you.

I installed the beta because when I would browse using bridge on 1.7 it was hanging a lot and closing on me. This also could have been my old tour. I did this right before I saw the 1.8 update was out so I was done before I ever heard about 1.8. You also caninstall some android apps that have been converted by members here but I have only done 1.

If I were you I would intall the official and go from there. If you have trouble with wifi set your router to g mode. After using it for awhile you can decide if you want to take the plunge.

Just search the forum and you will find plenty of info on how to it or just ask and I or someone else will help.

OH and congrates on the PB!
    12-05-11 08:44 AM
    You canNOT skip the update - it is a mandatory step in using the pb the first time.

After it is installed, you can then install the beta.

Although, maybe KBZ1960 can answer - maybe if you get your bbid and then sign up for the beta, it would be offered as you go through the mandatory initializing steps.
    12-05-11 10:05 AM
    That would be up to you. Some have no problem with the official and some do, some have no problem with developer beta and some do.

I will warn you it is a developer beta and some things don't work that work on the official or are not even present. I guess it matters what is important to you.

I installed the beta because when I would browse using bridge on 1.7 it was hanging a lot and closing on me. This also could have been my old tour. I did this right before I saw the 1.8 update was out so I was done before I ever heard about 1.8. You also caninstall some android apps that have been converted by members here but I have only done 1.

If I were you I would intall the official and go from there. If you have trouble with wifi set your router to g mode. After using it for awhile you can decide if you want to take the plunge.

Just search the forum and you will find plenty of info on how to it or just ask and I or someone else will help.

OH and congrates on the PB!
    Thanks for the info, but this thread ois scaring me a little. Is there a WiFi problem with the PB? I want to use it on WiFi mostly, rather than on the bridge, incurring data usage.
    12-05-11 10:14 AM
    There MAYBE a wifi problem. It does not appear to affect everyone. It is generally associated with routers that use the "N" mode/standard where there are options between Modes g/b and n. Disabling N appears to fix the major issues that folks have run into. I guess some folks have found WPA2 may present issues, too.

I will suggest you don't necessarily sweat it in advance.

As an AT&T user you might also want to look into loading the Bridge app from rroyy.com rather than the one available in appworld. The appworld version will stop Bridge Browsing from working with AT&T and require a separate tether plan. I know you said you will use wifi but it might be good to have a fallback.

Good luck.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-11 10:52 AM
    barskin, you shouldn't have any problems. There's no need to feel apprehensive as the problems posted here affect only a very small sampling of the playbooks. I bought mine last week and I only had a small router issue. I had to go into my router settings on my desktop to change the SSID settings. The playbook for some reason was unable to connect to my hidden SSID. Other than my minor router issue, my pb's functionality is flawless.

Warning!!! You will have a difficult time putting it down! This thing is so enthralling!
    12-05-11 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD