First off i am not looking to bash blackberry or my 9930. I have owned a blackberry on and off since they were just email devices. Here's my situation with my current verizon 9930. Ordered one the first day it was available, recieved it in the mail and it was DOA. It would not turn on so i went to the verizon store, they tried a different battery it didn't work so they switched me to a new phone. The new phone was fine for a few days then all of a sudden after a 5 minute call the phone would get really hot . So once again i go to the verizon store and once again they switch the phone out. My 3rd 9930 was fine for a few months, but for the past few weeks i have had the following issues:

Constant "hourglassing"...this has gotten really bad over the past few days.

At least 2-3 per week the phone freezes, most of the time it will go back to normal after 30 seconds or so, but there are times i need to do a battery pull to solve it.

There have been 2 or 3 occasions when i do a battery pull the status bar freezes about halfway through and i need to pull the battery again and start over. A few times it took 3-4 battery pulls to make it all the way.

Battery life: This has always been an issue, but now there are times when i leave the house at 9 am with a fully charged battery and by 1pm the phone needs to be charged after little to no usage.

There are many times where the top button to turn the screen on/off is unresponsive.

I really love the phone but these issues are just too much.
    11-27-11 04:45 PM
    Try out an Android device. I had an HTC Thunderbolt for a while and loved it!
    11-27-11 04:53 PM
    if you don't like the phone, don't keep it.
    11-27-11 05:01 PM

At least 2-3 per week the phone freezes, most of the time it will go back to normal after 30 seconds or so, but there are times i need to do a battery pull to solve it.

There have been 2 or 3 occasions when i do a battery pull the status bar freezes about halfway through and i need to pull the battery again and start over. A few times it took 3-4 battery pulls to make it all the way.

Battery life: This has always been an issue, but now there are times when i leave the house at 9 am with a fully charged battery and by 1pm the phone needs to be charged after little to no usage.

There are many times where the top button to turn the screen on/off is unresponsive.

I'm no tech wizard, but it looks very much like there's some continuous process running that's chewing up your battery and CPU cycles.

A lot of people (but not all) with battery issues have seen improvement by upgrading to a later OS version. So that's worth a try. But I have a strong suspicion that there's more to it than just the OS version. The only other thing I can think of is that the reception is so bad where you are that it's killing the battery--but I think you would have noticed that before.

Check on every installed app and setting. Is there something updating every few minutes, getting GPS coordinates, etc?
    11-27-11 05:03 PM
    Im gonna try to convince you to delete this thread, and sit down and think about whats best for you instead of asking a bunch of strangers to convince you that this phone is for you. ONLY you know whats best and works for you.
    11-27-11 05:07 PM
    Sounds like you need to have it replaced again. Remember there are more working devices then non working devices so that should tell you something. Every device has issues not just blackberry.
    11-27-11 05:14 PM
    Agreed with the above.

Convince? Not going to happen. So many views and thoughts. Everyone is different.

We can state facts about the device and features, but nothing more.

If things are not working out, try out something else. I hope you find something that YOU can use.

Good luck.
    nuangel2 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-27-11 05:16 PM
    Im gonna try to convince you to delete this thread, and sit down and think about whats best for you instead of asking a bunch of strangers to convince you that this phone is for you. ONLY you know whats best and works for you.
    This right here. OP, if you're asking us to convince you to "stay", you've already made your decision.
    fragment137 likes this.
    11-27-11 08:24 PM
    update the os to a higher one if you haven't. seemed to help me a lot but i have a 9900. but IMO, its bullcrap that you have to 'jailbreak' a os to make it work. shouldn't the official for YOUR provider work just as good....thats where RIM drops the ball big time.

but still love my 9900 and love that I'm a tech nerd enough to stay on top of updates and make my phone work good.
    11-27-11 08:28 PM
    If YOU want to stay with blackberry you can try your hand at installing a newer OS or even a leak if you feel like being daring. Updates will eventually be released by your carrier too, if you are willing to wait.
    Convince yourself or realize that this isn't the phone for you. It never hurts to try something else.
    11-27-11 08:35 PM
    Sprint replaced my 9930 3 times due to a keyboard issue ( it would add letters I didn't type )....
    ...Perhaps RIM felt rushed to release something even through they were not really ready to do it in their normal way.
    ...Historically RIM has delivered rock solid high quality devices.
    ...I have several of them in a box at work that still work perfectly.

In my view RIM waited way to long to attempt to get current and when they realized what was happening to them....
    ...They feverishly rushed a product to market that wasn't really tested out like RIM normally does.
    ...Think about it, RIM still doesn't have a quick check deposit like Apple and Droid does.
    ...For the "security" hype RIM always touts the only reason BB does not offer this is they simply CAN'T.

Let's pray for RIM that it can get itself back on it's feet.
    11-27-11 08:48 PM
    First off i am not looking to bash blackberry or my 9930. I have owned a blackberry on and off since they were just email devices. Here's my situation with my current verizon 9930. Ordered one the first day it was available, recieved it in the mail and it was DOA. It would not turn on so i went to the verizon store, they tried a different battery it didn't work so they switched me to a new phone. The new phone was fine for a few days then all of a sudden after a 5 minute call the phone would get really hot . So once again i go to the verizon store and once again they switch the phone out. My 3rd 9930 was fine for a few months, but for the past few weeks i have had the following issues:

You need a blackberry friend or you need to learn how to swap OS's
    11-27-11 10:56 PM
    With that kind of luck I would say maybe try something else. Totally opposite of my great experience with the 9930. But then that is how these things go.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-27-11 11:02 PM
    Don't stay.
    11-27-11 11:08 PM
    Sprint replaced my 9930 3 times due to a keyboard issue ( it would add letters I didn't type )....
    ...Perhaps RIM felt rushed to release something even through they were not really ready to do it in their normal way.
    ...Historically RIM has delivered rock solid high quality devices.
    ...I have several of them in a box at work that still work perfectly.

In my view RIM waited way to long to attempt to get current and when they realized what was happening to them....
    ...They feverishly rushed a product to market that wasn't really tested out like RIM normally does.
    ...Think about it, RIM still doesn't have a quick check deposit like Apple and Droid does.
    ...For the "security" hype RIM always touts the only reason BB does not offer this is they simply CAN'T.

Let's pray for RIM that it can get itself back on it's feet.
    The future doesn't look good when they can't even put the trackpad in straight. Just sayin...
    11-27-11 11:21 PM
    This right here. OP, if you're asking us to convince you to "stay", you've already made your decision.
    I second that.
    11-27-11 11:42 PM
    Sorry to hear about your poor experience.

TBH, try out another device. In the end it's about what suits your needs best. And although the lemons you've received is likely not representative of the majority of BlackBerry devices out there, i understand your frustration. Reliability should be a key factor in assessing what you need from a smartphone.

Rather than asking others to convince you...I suggest sitting down and making a list of what you're looking for/to do. It'll be much more efficient and signficantly less arbitrary.

For example: keyboard/touchscreen, 4G, large/medium display, ability to OTA sync calendar and contacts, consume media.....

Then, find a device that will best match that list of needs.

For me it was simple: keyboard. BlackBerry acid test right there.

A
    11-27-11 11:56 PM
    There is no perfect device out there. The best device for a person will depend on his/her particular needs.

Only you can decide what is best for you. As the well-known adage states, "Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one, and they all stink."
    nuangel2 likes this.
    11-28-11 12:22 AM
    Would not dream of convincing a perfect stranger to do anything.

Your bulleted points already show you're on your way to an iOS or an Android device.

For security, despite your derisive comment, no one beats BB at this time. It is the reason I use my BB for all sensitive transactions and to keep sensitive data. But hey, there are plenty of folks who don't care about security. I happen to care.

Enjoy whatever device you end up using. Hope it suits your needs when you do decide.
    11-28-11 03:14 AM
    have a look @ http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9930-a-672695/
    From your description, your problem is probably bad apps hogging your cpu too much.. un install them, and update the to OS .540 is the way to go
    11-28-11 03:49 AM
    just move on man, we don't need to convince anyone around here
    11-28-11 06:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD