Up until recently, I have not been seeing any tablets in use 'in the wild'. At Starbucks or other places people specifically go to hang out and surf and use the available wifi, I've seen people with either their laptops or iPads. Once, while getting my car serviced at dealer with wifi, I saw someone with a 10" Galaxy tab. I've also spotted a couple of Playbooks used in areas with seats and wifi.

Since I got my Playbook and, especially, since the first update that enbaled the bridge, I bring my Playbook everywhere. The size is perfect for portability and the connection options make its use viable anywhere that I have a decent data signal. The Playbook is truly not a redundant stand-alone device with a bigger screen than a phone, but a true complement to the phone extending its functionality.

While waiting for a table at a restaurant last night, I had my Playbook with me. There was no wifi available, but while standing around bored waiting (with all of the hungry and tired Black Friday shoppers), I brought up the restaurant's menu via my Bridge connection. Someone approached me and asked if I was using a Kindle Fire. I told him that it was a Playbook. He looked puzzled and asked why I got the Playbook and not the iPad. I held it out in one hand and told him that not only is it an amazing piece of hardware whose software is going through an evolution that makes it better the longer I have it. He said that he's glad he has the iPad because of all of the useful apps. I asked him to show me his iPad and some of those apps, but he couldn't because he said that it was at home. Then I asked him if the iPad is so useful and versitile, why he didn't have it with him. He said that it didn't occur to him to bring it because he has the wifi-only version and he didn't think that the restaurant had wifi (which it didn't). I told him that it's a shame that he can't use his iPad away from home.

I've had an encounter very similar to his a few months ago. What makes this one different is the following:

During this encounter, there was someone behind us who was looking and listening to what we both were saying. When I finished asking why this guy's iPad was not out and about with him, the guy watching reached into a bag and pulled out a box with a brand new 32gb Playbook. He said that he had just bought it and was dying to get it home to set it up, but his wife wanted to eat before they got home.

Before the iPad guy had a chance to respond, I let the other guy try my Playbook. With each swipe, he was getting more and more excited to get home to set it up. The iPad guy left because his table was ready and we continued on using the Playbook. I disconnected my bridge and showed him how to pair the two. I showed him the bridge browser and how many of the apps can piggy-back off of the bridge connection. He was really excited.

Our table was now ready and just before we parted way he thanked me and told me again how excited he was about his new Playbook. And then he said that he had been wrestling with the idea of an iPad vs a Playbook for a long time. While the sale price was the deal clincher for him, he said that what makes him happiest about his decision was the portability and connectivity away from wifi.

The Playbook advantage is that people actually take their Playbooks with them and use them as opposed to being left at home. I know that you can buy a data plan for a 3G iPad or pay for a wifi hotspot/tether plan (unless you're lucky enough to be grandfathered in), but it's nice to have the connectivity options without having to adjust your plan with your carrier.

Love my Playbook. Love being able to take it everywhere. But I also like the notion that after the Black Friday sales, I'll be seeing more and more of them out and about.
    11-26-11 01:17 PM
    Up until recently, I have not been seeing any tablets in use 'in the wild'. At Starbucks or other places people specifically go to hang out and surf and use the available wifi, I've seen people with either their laptops or iPads. Once, while getting my car serviced at dealer with wifi, I saw someone with a 10" Galaxy tab. I've also spotted a couple of Playbooks used in areas with seats and wifi.

Since I got my Playbook and, especially, since the first update that enbaled the bridge, I bring my Playbook everywhere. The size is perfect for portability and the connection options make its use viable anywhere that I have a decent data signal. The Playbook is truly not a redundant stand-alone device with a bigger screen than a phone, but a true complement to the phone extending its functionality.

While waiting for a table at a restaurant last night, I had my Playbook with me. There was no wifi available, but while standing around bored waiting (with all of the hungry and tired Black Friday shoppers), I brought up the restaurant's menu via my Bridge connection. Someone approached me and asked if I was using a Kindle Fire. I told him that it was a Playbook. He looked puzzled and asked why I got the Playbook and not the iPad. I held it out in one hand and told him that not only is it an amazing piece of hardware whose software is going through an evolution that makes it better the longer I have it. He said that he's glad he has the iPad because of all of the useful apps. I asked him to show me his iPad and some of those apps, but he couldn't because he said that it was at home. Then I asked him if the iPad is so useful and versitile, why he didn't have it with him. He said that it didn't occur to him to bring it because he has the wifi-only version and he didn't think that the restaurant had wifi (which it didn't). I told him that it's a shame that he can't use his iPad away from home.

I've had an encounter very similar to his a few months ago. What makes this one different is the following:

During this encounter, there was someone behind us who was looking and listening to what we both were saying. When I finished asking why this guy's iPad was not out and about with him, the guy watching reached into a bag and pulled out a box with a brand new 32gb Playbook. He said that he had just bought it and was dying to get it home to set it up, but his wife wanted to eat before they got home.

Before the iPad guy had a chance to respond, I let the other guy try my Playbook. With each swipe, he was getting more and more excited to get home to set it up. The iPad guy left because his table was ready and we continued on using the Playbook. I disconnected my bridge and showed him how to pair the two. I showed him the bridge browser and how many of the apps can piggy-back off of the bridge connection. He was really excited.

Our table was now ready and just before we parted way he thanked me and told me again how excited he was about his new Playbook. And then he said that he had been wrestling with the idea of an iPad vs a Playbook for a long time. While the sale price was the deal clincher for him, he said that what makes him happiest about his decision was the portability and connectivity away from wifi.

The Playbook advantage is that people actually take their Playbooks with them and use them as opposed to being left at home. I know that you can buy a data plan for a 3G iPad or pay for a wifi hotspot/tether plan (unless you're lucky enough to be grandfathered in), but it's nice to have the connectivity options without having to adjust your plan with your carrier.

Love my Playbook. Love being able to take it everywhere. But I also like the notion that after the Black Friday sales, I'll be seeing more and more of them out and about.
    I'm loving these Playbook success stories!
    Each one of them has their own unique quality, and I agree with you the Playbooks advantage is it's size.
    11-26-11 01:21 PM
    In the past when justifying my BB phone over alternatives, I used to say that you can't play Angry Birds if your battery is dead. Now, I say that a tablet does you no good if it's left at home.
    11-26-11 02:07 PM
    great story
    11-26-11 02:09 PM
    I'm at the mall this morning and outside the Apple store (free wi-fi hotzone), there is a very nice sitting area where all the kids & old farts sit and play with their tablets while their mom's, dad's, or significant others are shopping 'till they drop. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice that there were 10 PB's being used, probaly another 10 iPads, and several eBooks. I'm curious if this ratio of PB users was always the same in the past, since I've walked past the store many times and never paid attention to what the folks who hung out in front of the Apple store were using. Curiosity gave in to a "what the hey" and I approached the tablet junkies and asked how many just purchased their PB's, and all but two raised their hands or said I did, or me too.....much to the chagrin of the iPad users. Anyway, I believe this sale of PB's at a reduced price is going to be a game changer for BB, as well as re-set the minds of the naysayers who thought there was only one fruit worth eating.
    11-26-11 02:24 PM
    The perfect size of the playbook, BlackBerry Bridge, the nice feeling of the soft-touch back have me carrying this tablet with me constantly. I had an ipad that was great when I was on the couch or in the office, but it really never traveled with me much. The Playbook is a different story. I take it almost everywhere. I love it.
    peter9477, alnamvet68 and rleo25 like this.
    11-26-11 02:36 PM
    Louzer,

I can't think of anyone that might represent the Playbook better than yoou. Maybe a RIM employee but outside of that nada. Keep up the good work!!
    11-26-11 02:42 PM
    Exactly my experience. Never took my iPad along with me. The PB never leaves me.
    11-26-11 02:54 PM
    i take my playbook with me everywhere... and find often i am using it at places that do not have wifi. Although I do prefer wifi over bridge for speed, the bridge function sure does come in handy! lovin my playbook and can't wait until os2 comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 05:21 PM
    I love these stories
    especially this:

"I asked him to show me his iPad and some of those apps, but he couldn't because he said that it was at home. Then I asked him if the iPad is so useful and versatile, why he didn't have it with him. He said that it didn't occur to him to bring it because he has the wifi-only version and he didn't think that the restaurant had wifi (which it didn't). I told him that it's a shame that he can't use his iPad away from home."

Thanks for the evangelism!

Think about it - if just everyone just convinces one other person to get a playbook - the size of the user base doubles!

I have convinced about twenty. All it takes is for them to get one in their hands, and have someone available to explain how to use it. If stupid RIM only realized this with their pathetic retail operation...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-26-11 at 05:53 PM.
    11-26-11 05:48 PM
    Let's hope this balloons and popularity of the playbook cruises into the new year.
    11-26-11 05:54 PM
    I have to agree, biggest thing for me with the PB is the portability, I take it everywhere, I was initially a bit concerned that the 7" screen would be perfect for when I'm out but not big enough for browsing/watching when I'm in the house but its perfect for both!
    11-26-11 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD