I was unsuccessful getting my $229 64GB PB from Best Buy after they cancelled my order, and could not get the $250 32GB at Staples as they were not on-line even before the 6AM start. This wasn't a Christmas present so I can wait a bit, but I hope to have one before next spring. What do you all think the pricing will be on these at that time?
    11-25-11 02:12 PM
    I was unsuccessful getting my $229 64GB PB from Best Buy after they cancelled my order, and could not get the $250 32GB at Staples as they were not on-line even before the 6AM start. This wasn't a Christmas present so I can wait a bit, but I hope to have one before next spring. What do you all think the pricing will be on these at that time?
    If I had to guess I'd say 8 Grand

That within your budget
    ?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    11-25-11 02:14 PM
    At the MSRP levels. Why haven't you ordered from Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com yet; they're still in stock as I write this???
    11-25-11 02:21 PM
    At the MSRP levels. Why haven't you ordered from Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com yet; they're still in stock as I write this???
    Yea, what he said.

Oh my.
    11-25-11 02:23 PM
    Mrs. Gatz, I don't understand your response. It was an honest question.

Why would I want to pay $399 for something that was priced at $229? I think $250 for the 32GB is fair. Before the recent sales, they were way over-priced.
    gman-88 likes this.
    11-25-11 02:28 PM

Why would I want to pay $399 for something that was priced at $229? I think $250 for the 32GB is fair. Before the recent sales, they were way over-priced.
    In stock at Blackberry direct :

BlackBerryPlayBook - RIM US

Happy Happy Joy Joy, you get to buy a brand new toy !!!

@ $199 YW !
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-25-11 02:34 PM

The 32 gig is $299 @ Blackberry.com. Wait until Spring if you want, but I doubt it will be on sale at today's prices.
    11-25-11 02:38 PM
    Thank you for your thoughts on my honest question, alnamvet68. I don't know how I set off Mrs Gatz. I wasn't trying to be a smart alec or whiny. I was just wanting other's thoughts on if the prices will remain the same or go back up to MSRP. $699 for a 64GB? That seems like gouging to me and well worth waiting until spring. I don't expect it free, just fair and reasonable.
    11-25-11 02:54 PM
    Omahahaha, nobody really knows where it will be, because the price will probably depend on how well 2.0 is received, and what the perceived value of the tablet is after the new features are integrated into people's lives.

I'm thinking it will be $349 or so for the 16GB model, and I won't venture a guess at the 64GB because if USB host mode support is there, I doubt they'll be able to charge quite as much for just some extra flash as they are now.
    Lhendr likes this.
    11-25-11 03:10 PM
    And that's the thing, peter9477. As far as I know, the hardware is the same for all three models. The price increase from 16-32-64 just doesn't seem fair and reasonable to me.

I think the 16GB is fairly priced at $199, but I would quickly run out of room. So a 32GB for $250 seems fair and reasonable to me too. But not any more than that. 64GB should be $299 regular price. From what I've researched, the PB is really cool, but it still has room for improvement and therefore should not be priced as if it were perfect. And don't even get me started on the prices of the accessories. Specifically the rapid charger and rapid charging dock that doesn't sync or pass HDMI on.
    11-25-11 04:43 PM
    $299 (16GB) /$399 (32GB) /$499 (64GB), based on OS2 meeting or exceeding expectations. Once the user base is strong and the App/Game eco-system is brought up to par the PlayBook2 (if it exists) can be priced at $499 for the base model. The downfall that the PlayBook had (has?) is the fact that it is not owned by many (compared to other platforms), once the word of mouth picks up things will get much better...
    11-25-11 04:55 PM
    Definitely gonna go up with 2.0.

The storage thing hardware not changing is the same way every other company prices things.
    11-25-11 06:16 PM
    The way that Rim is putting their remaining PB stock on firesale makes me think that likely there is going to be a new model PB ( upgraded hardware +/- 4G/LTE ) in the new year in time for the OS 2.0 and then they can go back to the $499 base price again.
    11-25-11 08:20 PM
    In 3 Months I expect to see the BlackBerry PlayBooks selling for
    $299/$399/$499 respectively with the occasional bounced UP from those figures to allow for "discounts" back to those figures.

With OS2 out the PlayBook will have far more functionality, with people having them there will be far more word of mouth, and the ecosystem will be much more evolved, I don't think they'll return to their launch price, but I very much think we wont get these deals again
    11-25-11 08:31 PM
    I expect the current price to be the permanent price in a few months, as it should have been from the start.
    11-25-11 08:32 PM
    There is every indication they will be priced less than they are this black Friday...
    ...$149.99 for the 16 GB is my call.
    11-25-11 08:41 PM
    Now I'm trying to decide if I should get another one. My gut feeling is that all tablet prices will go down, but maybe that won't be until 2013 after the market is really saturated.
    11-26-11 04:51 AM
    New quad core tablets will be priced double than actual tablets, so my guess is Playbook will have to stay where it is now.
    11-26-11 07:13 AM
    It depends on manufacturing costs.
    $199 price is either selling for a lost or no profit for the vast majority of tablet makers.

It's going to depend what RIM's plans for the Playbook are.

My hunch is they are depleting all their stock at these prices. And take a wait and see approach. They obviously don't want to corner themselves into a corner by ordering anothe 1.5 million tablets.
    11-26-11 09:02 AM
    If Amazon were China and were selling tires or steel below cost, they would be accused of trying to kill our domestic industries and tariffs would be applied. It would be an unfair trade practice.
    11-26-11 09:35 AM
    My hunch is the same...but then, my hunches have been wrong many times before. Especially trying to figure out womens LOL.

New quad core tablets will be priced double than actual tablets, so my guess is Playbook will have to stay where it is now.
    11-26-11 02:39 PM
    Expect price to go up and will be sold only at blackberry.com.
    11-26-11 02:49 PM
    You might be onto something...

Expect price to go up and will be sold only at blackberry.com.
    11-27-11 07:42 AM
    If Amazon were China and were selling tires or steel below cost, they would be accused of trying to kill our domestic industries and tariffs would be applied. It would be an unfair trade practice.
    Amazon is selling content. Selling fire below cost will make them tons of money. They are actually higher on some things they sell. They held the original price of the pb for a long time. China is killing all of our industries and need a lot more tariffs imposed.
    11-27-11 07:57 AM
    i think the price will go back to normal after this sale. rim wont sell it at lost forever unless they want to discontinue the playbook. the hardware is very compatible, lets see what 2.0 can makebconsumers happy or not.
    11-27-11 08:15 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD