The Torch 9800 phone is great as a bedside clock but it's much too bright. I've gone into the clock options but there doesn't seem to be a setting other than to dim completely which is not what I want. I want to have the clock displayed all night but not to brighten the room

It's worse on the flipdown than it is on the analogue, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing a setting

The closest answer on the forum is at http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...67/index2.html just over 2 years ago but there was no solution. Maybe now?
    11-25-11 06:50 AM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I had this once, make sure in clock options you have it set to bedside and not display clock, then it should dim. I don't know what changed mine, but it did.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 10:14 PM
    Oops, apologies. I meant it was too bright and I was looking for a way to get it to dim a little - not totally! I want it to be visible all through the night but don't want to be kept awake by it illuminating the room
    11-26-11 03:08 PM
    I agree with you. Even dimmed, the bedside clock is still entirely too bright. I have really good night vision, so the dim bedside clock still lights up the room. I usually have to hit the lock button and kill the screen entirely. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to adjust how much the beside mode dims. I even tried changing the overall brightness of the screen backlighting down to 10%, but I didn't see much of a difference.
    stephenco likes this.
    11-26-11 10:09 PM
    Oops, apologies. I meant it was too bright and I was looking for a way to get it to dim a little - not totally! I want it to be visible all through the night but don't want to be kept awake by it illuminating the room
    Once you are on the clock press the bb button and click options scroll down and you should see : when in bedside mode dim screen
    11-29-11 01:51 AM
    I have clocked dimmed in Bedside Mode and it is very bright to me!

I end up turning my phone away.
    11-29-11 01:57 AM
    I have clocked dimmed in Bedside Mode and it is very bright to me!

I end up turning my phone away.
    Well that's the dimmest it can get
    11-29-11 05:09 PM
    I was gonna start a post about this and the "auto search" popped up this thread.
    I'm rockin a 9810 and I could make shadow puppets on the ceiling with the light this bad boy puts out. Like chrisy, I turn the thing away, but it still lights up the room.
    This needs to be part of options when in sleep mode.
    AND....make the snooze button further away from the dismiss button. Don't even have a dismiss button.
    Maybe in BB10!!!!
    03-07-12 07:35 AM
    I use it to see at night if I have to feed little one
    05-17-12 06:04 PM
    How bright the phone will be on bedside mode depends also on ambient light. I found that if you put it near a bedside night, the screen will be brighter and vice versa. The light sensor on the phone obviously keeps working.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-19-12 10:22 PM
    I have the backlight setting down to minimum and I can still land a 737 with the brightness of my Torch. It's just hard on the eyes and I often times find myself turning the phone slightly to one side when I'm using it with the lights out. I like my phone but the harshness of the bright screen and inability to really dim it down kinda sucks.
    05-26-12 10:52 AM
    I was hoping to find a clock app with a 1% screen brightness, but as of yet I've found nothing.
    06-09-12 09:33 AM
    I tried the bedside mode setting and it actually helped a lot by dimming and softening the clock. It's bearable now. Beware you won't get any notifications
    06-13-12 07:04 AM
    I tried the bedside mode setting and it actually helped a lot by dimming and softening the clock. It's bearable now. Beware you won't get any notifications

Actually you can get notifications. Open clock app, got to "options" in menu. There will be tick-boxes for you to choose whether to disable notifications and radio (meaning cell reception). Cheers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 01:57 AM
    bringing this back up. Anyone found an app that can reduce the dimmed setting in BSM further?
    12-18-12 12:32 PM
    The app I have used in the past (on my 9800 and any other phone with this "too bright" issue, including my PlayBook alarm clock app) is the Thin Hanky App. Look for it wherever you find it.
    12-18-12 12:54 PM
    The app I have used in the past (on my 9800 and any other phone with this "too bright" issue, including my PlayBook alarm clock app) is the Thin Hanky App. Look for it wherever you find it.
    .......... really? best you got? LOL
    12-18-12 01:01 PM
    .......... really? best you got? LOL
    Hey that has been my only solution! I like it dark dark dark, and like the OP and others mentioned, you just can't get the screen brightness low enough to see the clock without lighting up the room/ceiling (light colored walls - dark walls might not cause as much of an issue). I use the Today's Alarm Clock app (android port I believe??) and with brightness below 5% and screen set to "All You Can Eat Buffet" it still lights up the room.

Back when I had a 9800, I had the same brightness issue so I grabbed an old piece of really thin cloth and laid it over the screen and it worked perfectly! Still does with my PlayBook - I actually now adjust the brightness up a bit because of the material I use to cover the screen.

No tech solution to a high tech problem!
    12-18-12 02:22 PM
    Hey that has been my only solution! I like it dark dark dark, and like the OP and others mentioned, you just can't get the screen brightness low enough to see the clock without lighting up the room/ceiling (light colored walls - dark walls might not cause as much of an issue). I use the Today's Alarm Clock app (android port I believe??) and with brightness below 5% and screen set to "All You Can Eat Buffet" it still lights up the room.

Back when I had a 9800, I had the same brightness issue so I grabbed an old piece of really thin cloth and laid it over the screen and it worked perfectly! Still does with my PlayBook - I actually now adjust the brightness up a bit because of the material I use to cover the screen.

No tech solution to a high tech problem!
    just bustin your balls, I thought it was funny. Wouldn't be so bad if you could change the color to a blue or something
    DocDRM likes this.
    12-18-12 03:03 PM
    Wait!! Mr Hanky has a BB app?????
    12-18-12 08:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD