It seems like the sales are picking up with the lower prices. Is RIM making money? What do you think?
    11-24-11 06:15 PM
    Selling like Hot Cakes! Good for Rim, Good for all of us PB owners!
    ndon70 and EvilmasterMMA like this.
    11-24-11 06:16 PM
    It seems like the sales are picking up with the lower prices. Is RIM making money? What do you think?
    Selling? Probably. Making a profit? Not at these prices.
    11-24-11 08:39 PM
    Right now gaining brand awareness and rebuilding consumer loyalty are probably more important for RIM and their BBX plans than curing a profit on the Playbook.

Or should be anyway.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    flash24, howarmat and Mr.Monty like this.
    11-24-11 08:52 PM
    They are getting it out there and that is what matters.

More people with PB=More developers and more apps
    11-24-11 09:12 PM
    11-24-11 09:27 PM
    Unless RIM has an ulterior motive this is definitely a good thing for everyone
    11-24-11 09:31 PM
    I really don't care if RIM makes or loses money on the deal.
    I am waiting after midnight, Friday morning, to place a 32G order from Staples.com
    @$249.
    This second 32G is a treat for my daughter.
    Love it!
    11-24-11 09:37 PM
    They are losing $ on every device, yet they will make it up on volume.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-24-11 09:47 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Could not be easier to buy the Playbook at amazing prices online at blackberry.com ... 1 or 2 days to ship! ... they are selling well!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 09:50 PM
    Oh yeah it's selling alright! It's becoming hard to find now.

EDIT: I managed to secure myself a 16GB PB from ShopBlackberry.com. Can't wait to get it!
    Last edited by Megacharge; 11-24-11 at 10:29 PM.
    11-24-11 10:01 PM
    Selling out so well that my PB order got "upgraded" from 16GB to 32GB when the 16GB went through a cycle of out-of-stock to backordered by many retailers this week prior to BF
    11-24-11 10:32 PM
    Selling out so well that my PB order got "upgraded" from 16GB to 32GB when the 16GB went through a cycle of out-of-stock to backordered by many retailers this week prior to BF
    Damn lucky you!, I ordered from ShopBlackberry.com, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll be out of 16GB PB's and I'll end up with a 32GB.
    11-24-11 10:50 PM
    They are losing $ on every device, yet they will make it up on volume.
    To "make it up on volume," you have to believe that RIM can lower the PlayBook production cost down below the wholesale price. The problem is that if they had any hope of getting the price down quickly they wouldn't have warned investors of the coming charges relating to PlayBook sales incentives.
    11-24-11 10:56 PM
    1. Many places seem to be sold/selling out so ya, I'd say it is selling well
    2. We have already seen how Amazon is selling their tablet basically at cost and hoping to make money on apps etc., so trading profit for market penetration is probably smart
    3. RIM loses less $$ by selling the PB for slightly under cost rather than have them gathering dust in a warehouse
    LuayS likes this.
    11-24-11 11:05 PM
    It been a good move to slash prices mainly to get them into hands, aside from the obvious missing email and BBM, most of the reviews of the Playbook (certainly in the UK) have been nothing but positive but I think that the all the negative press about missing email and lack of apps has put people off trying one.

I'm sure people who are picking one up at a bargain price will be pleasantly surprised by the QNX OS and hopefully as more are sold we'll begin to see even more App/developer support.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    11-25-11 02:30 AM
    From a business perspective ss better for RIM to have a loss on each sale of the device than to write-down the whole inventory. Nevertheless, I had it in my hand and is a nice product, looking forward to buy a one and at this prices is a steal. There is nothing out there with the capacity at that price range.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-25-11 05:06 AM
    More Sales = More Developers = More 40% of each app going to RIM = More money to RIM = More competition and lower apps/games prices for us

11-25-11 06:59 AM
    To "make it up on volume," you have to believe that RIM can lower the PlayBook production cost down below the wholesale price. The problem is that if they had any hope of getting the price down quickly they wouldn't have warned investors of the coming charges relating to PlayBook sales incentives.
    Way to miss an ironic statement. Or maybe it was sarcastic... not sure. Either way, looks like you thought he was serious. :-)
    11-25-11 08:24 AM
    Yes, more sales hopefully will bring more developers; I would gladly pay $10.00 for an app that would allow me to bridge my iphones, or any other phone, for that matter to my PB.
    11-25-11 08:28 AM
    Yes, more sales hopefully will bring more developers; I would gladly pay $10.00 for an app that would allow me to bridge my iphones, or any other phone, for that matter to my PB.
    What do you want the app to do? You will never need bridge once you get OS2 in February, then you can use Tether with iPhone

11-25-11 08:30 AM
    What do you want the app to do? You will never need bridge once you get OS2 in February, then you can use Tether with iPhone

I could tether now, at the risk of Sprint getting wind of it, and then trying to get me to spend an additional $30.00 for tethering. My understanding is that with Bridge, you're invisible to your carrier, therefore, no extra charge to your plan. Of course, if you're on AT&T, then you're pretty much denied the ability to bridge or tether, unless you sign up and pay an additional $20.00 or so; it seems AT&T consider bridging the same as tethering, which technically it is.
    11-25-11 08:35 AM
    I could tether now, at the risk of Sprint getting wind of it, and then trying to get me to spend an additional $30.00 for tethering. My understanding is that with Bridge, you're invisible to your carrier, therefore, no extra charge to your plan. Of course, if you're on AT&T, then you're pretty much denied the ability to bridge or tether, unless you sign up and pay an additional $20.00 or so; it seems AT&T consider bridging the same as tethering, which technically it is.
    Such Bridge app for Browsing would need Root access to iOS or at least iOS source code, it is not possible to play with the network adapters or do Mirroring to data as the BlackBerry do without root access to iOS that's as far as I know.

Regarding AT&T they can't know the difference between Bridge and Tether unless you download AT&T OWN Bridge App from AppWorld.

11-25-11 08:53 AM
    Apparently its selling much more than most expected. I think i got the last Playbook in south Florida today after driving the entire tri-county area and calling every known electronics store. I felt like Arnold schwarzenegger in Jingle all the way trying to find this thing. I guess i assumed that people will have things higher in priority on their shopping list than the playbook so I definitely was not expecting "SOLD OUT" every where i go. Finally i got Office Depot to hold the very last one (32gb) with my name until i got there and all ended well. Now i only need 4 more..... Everyone is getting playbooks for christmas so i can have more people to video chat with.
    11-25-11 11:05 PM
    You can buy directly from RIM...
    BlackBerryPlayBook - RIM CA

I bought a couple for Xmas presents too
    11-26-11 12:27 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD