I just took my playbook off the charger after having it plugged up all night. The power was OFF while charging, and I let it drain out fully to the point it just shut off. Now after taking it off the charger for maybe 15 mins, the battery life is already down to 92% and all I have turned on is the wifi. Bluetooth is not connected, just wifi, and it's loosing power THAT quickly?? ..

Anyone else experiencing rapid loss of power after charging all night long?
    11-24-11 09:54 AM
    please upgrade to latest os

tha 6-8hours battery life for playing movie or videos after fully charging
    11-24-11 10:39 AM
    my sister as well has a playbook. and said after fully charging it seems to go down to 98% fairly quickly. what is the reason for this?

blackberry playbook 16gb
    11-24-11 11:54 AM
    Don't consider the battery level to be quite that accurate or precise. Sometimes it will jump up or down by a few percent. Often it will reach 100% but then drop to 99% almost as soon as you take it off the charger. Other times it will sit at 0% for a long time while you continue using it.

If you've done the full discharge/recharge cycle a couple of times, that's the best you can do to help calibrate it. Now just enjoy, and ignore small variations... consider it an approximation (since that's all it can be... batteries like this do not have a "percent full" value that can be determined... the level can only be guessed at with calculations involving the voltage, history, current, and time).

By the way, make sure to charge it until the lightning bolt symbol is gone, not just till you see "100%" showing. Alternatively, you can run Battery Guru and charge until you see that the charging power drops to 0.000W, at which point it's done and you can take it off the charger.
    11-24-11 02:47 PM
    For the last few days, my playbook's battery has been dying after 1 day with no use. I'm going to upgrade the os, but if it keeps happening, then I'm using my warranty to get my money back.
    11-28-11 01:36 PM
    For the last few days, my playbook's battery has been dying after 1 day with no use. I'm going to upgrade the os, but if it keeps happening, then I'm using my warranty to get my money back.
    That's definitely not normal.
    What are you going to update to? OS2? I wouldn't recommend installing a BETA OS.

Are you leaving wifi on? Can you try turning it off?

When running battery guru I noticed that my PlayBook would intermittently chew up my battery when wifi was left on. Never see this behaviour when wifi is off.

I haven't done any investigation to find out why this may be the case...
    11-28-11 02:33 PM
    Can you be more precise about that? What's "1 day" mean in this case, and what battery levels has it dropped from and to during that time?
    11-28-11 02:46 PM
    Well for battery life for me doesn't seem an issue only when i'm watching a movie thats when it drains pretty fast.
    11-28-11 08:12 PM
    I've only had mine a few days..but I haven't really noticed an issue. It lasts me to the end of the day, as does my cellphone, at which point I charge it regardless of what it's at.
    11-29-11 11:44 AM
    My PB battery only last 2 days when in standby. Since then, before I hit the StandBy I always turn off wifi & BT and it seems the battery last longer.
    11-29-11 12:15 PM
    The battery should really last more than 10 days in standby (i.e. if it's not used during that time). Anything significantly less would be a warning sign of something...
    11-29-11 01:34 PM
    does standby turn off BT & Wifi, or do I need to manually turn off BT & Wifi to maximize standby battery charge life?--george
    12-06-11 10:06 PM
    Normally you should not have to turn off BT and WiFi to still have a very long standby time. They automatically go into a very low-power or idle state of some kind when not in use while in standby.

That said, I can generally notice a very slight difference by actually disabling them, while in some cases other people seem to be in situations where leaving them on leads to unacceptably high standby power drain. Those may be unusual situations, like being on a network where some other devices are constantly polling and probing, triggering the PlayBook to keep the WiFi on... I don't know.

If you run Battery Guru, it's easy to see: go into standby, leave it for 4-5 minutes, then swipe it on and immediately check the power reading. If it's on the order of 0.04W to 0.07W or so, you should be fine and get 10+ days of standby. If it's significantly higher, like 0.15W or more, you could improve your standby life by disabling one or the other, or both, of those interfaces. Test with one at a time to see what's going on.
    12-06-11 10:18 PM
    Have you opened Video Chat and agreed to the terms? Back in the day, Playbooks would quickly lose battery juice if you didn't agree to the contract. Strange, but true.
    12-06-11 11:27 PM
    The Video Chat issue was fixed around 1.0.3 or 1.0.5. Hasn't been an issue for months.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-06-11 11:56 PM
    I have an Ipad 1 and it can last a week using here and there for reading the newspaper, surfing web, playing Tiger Woods golf etc.

I bought a playbook last week and the battery life is terrible. I already charged it 3 times and it doesn't last more than 4 hours each time. Do you think that I should call Blackberry support ?
    12-07-11 07:15 AM
    You really should get Battery Guru to show you what is going on. Standby, with WiFi on is about .25 watts. Standby with WFi and BT off is about .05 watts. Big difference. The "normal" battery life is somewhere between six and eight hours.
    12-07-11 07:53 AM
    I never have to turn off wifi in standby mode on the ipad. It is always ready to start.
    12-07-11 08:31 AM
    I never have to turn off WiFi either, on the PlayBook.

Unlike wms3, apparently, mine uses only about 0.05W even with WiFi on.

I still think the difference there may be something to do with one's local WiFi environment, and whether (for example) some other machine may be constantly scanning the network and triggering the PlayBook to respond via WiFi.

Whatever it is, it doesn't affect me or many others. Wish we could get more data from people to track down what it is...

Oncle Luc, I can't say whether you should call BB Support or not... I don't know whether you're charging it correctly (e.g. waiting until the lightning bolt symbol is off, not just until you first see "100%" showing), and I don't know what you're using it for or what your settings are like. I get 6-7 hours when I'm using it more or less constantly (screen on most of that time) and, depending on backlight level (generally 25% or lower), ambient lighting conditions, and nature of use, that can stretch to 10 hours.
    12-07-11 08:36 AM
    Thanks Peter9477. I unchecked a box called "Prompt me when a saved hotspot is found nearby". Maybe that will help. I will lower the backlight level to 25 % too.
    12-07-11 09:14 AM
    I never have to turn off WiFi either, on the PlayBook.

Unlike wms3, apparently, mine uses only about 0.05W even with WiFi on.
    Really? What OS? I'm on 1.0.7.xxx I had discussed this with the Battery Guru developer and he said my findings were typical.
    12-07-11 09:52 AM
    Really? What OS? I'm on 1.0.7.xxx I had discussed this with the Battery Guru developer and he said my findings were typical.
    We should go back and check that thread or email conversation, because "typical" should not have been a term I'd use for that, and I apologize if I did. Maybe I said "not atypical", but if I did I think I'd call it a misstatement if the mean exactly the same thing.

If I said that a number of other people have reported the same situation that would have been more accurate. I don't believe *most* people (what we'd probably both agree is "typical") have such high power consumption in standby merely because of having WiFi turned on. I believe (without a whole lot of concrete data on which to base that belief, yet) that probably 90% or more of people have quite low (below 0.1W for sure) load in standby with just WiFi turned on. If they have Bluetooth enabled and use Bridge, the load may be a bit higher, though I haven't tested that myself yet.
    12-07-11 10:51 AM
    Huh? I'm confused by what you wrote. I don't recall the name of the thread, but somewhere there is a discussion with the developer of Battery Guru. Also, we may have had a private email exchange. I listed off the power consumption of my PB under various conditions and h told me that based on his research, and on examining the trend logs that people had sent him my readings were average. My gut tells me that ever since I updated the OS my battery life is not as long as it was originally, but i cant prove this. I do get around 6-8 hrs in use. Dont know how long in standby because Im always using the thing!
    12-07-11 11:06 AM
    wms3, I'm confusing you because you didn't realize I'm the Battery Guru developer (see my signature, unless you've got those hidden). Sorry about that....

My response was "your number are pretty typical" (from email, which I just found) and was focused more on the rest of your data, regarding percent drain, hours of life, and so on.

The 0.25W for standby consumption is higher than mine, but I've seen enough other people reporting it that for now I don't consider it a sign of a serious problem or a defect in the PB. I'm hoping to continue gathering data on it, and watching the OS updates to see whether it improves, before concluding that it's a sign of anything wrong with specific PlayBooks.
    12-07-11 11:23 AM
    Yep, I didn't see the sig file, sorry! Other than consuming that .25 w on standby w ith WiFi (BT is off BTW) my PB seems to be working fine. If I know I'm going to be away from a charger for any length of time I turn wifi off. Maybe when/if OS 2 is rleased the problem will go away.
    12-07-11 12:49 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD