You have to write a piece for your company. 5 O'clock rings and you're not finished yet. So, you grudgingly drag the word document from your desktop to your playbook and start heading home.

Tucked on your seat in the subway, you try to come up with ideas, but all you can think of is that you hate your boss. And in the middle of your document, you write "I hate you moron. You are a effing ****** and next year, I'll be in you spot, just watch me ..."

It feels good. You smile as you imagine yourself telling just that to his face.

Eventually, you erase that fantasy from the document and proceed to finish the paper. As soon as you are done, you email him the document and sit at the dinner table with your family.

The next morning, your boss calls you into his office.

"I'm afraid I'll have to let you go." And right there and then, you have to pack your things and go.

What happened?
    Anyone knows?

There is a very real reason why that scenario is possible with Words to go. Care to venture a guess as to why this is possible?
    11-23-11 12:00 AM
    Umm well a lot of scenarios are possible, depending on which buttons you push or don't - I can imagine a lot of things for which the actual probability is .1%... with any device.

But do tell.

Now if it actually happens let us know, but you really threw together a lot of unlikely circumstances there...such as, how many people use a tablet and actually type what they are thinking of their boss ... on a train after a hard day of typing?

I think I would just sleep or websurf or read the news.

More likely, you might have automistake changing words as you were typing an email to your boss. things happen when you're not careful or you don't know your hardware/software...

Great fiction though , maybe if you lose your job you should be a fiction writer. Very dramatic - you actually had me captivated. Seriously.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 01:02 AM.
    ndon70, mister160, sam_b77 and 2 others like this.
    11-23-11 12:08 AM
    Enlighten us please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 12:21 AM
    This is such an entertaining tale, I can't wait to see how this is somehow the PlayBooks fault.
    john_v, mister160, sam_b77 and 3 others like this.
    11-23-11 12:27 AM
    Got promoted for owning a PlayBook.
    11-23-11 12:32 AM
    Got promoted for owning a PlayBook.
    really? Now that's a story I would like to hear!
    11-23-11 01:01 AM
    Well, here is one obvious possible situation. The last time you saved the document was when you were ragging on your boss. Then you edit your document but forget to save the changes for whatever reason. Then you send him the file with your "fantasy" thoughts without erasing them.
    11-23-11 01:10 AM
    and finally ?
    11-23-11 01:14 AM
    After a final re-reading just to make sure everything was perfect and there was no typo, you swiped from the top bezel and touched "save". Then you sent the document as it had been saved.

When your boss received it, he read it and was very pleased with your work.

But then, something happened.
    11-23-11 01:19 AM
    Well, here is one obvious possible situation. The last time you saved the document was when you were ragging on your boss. Then you edit your document but forget to save the changes for whatever reason. Then you send him the file with your "fantasy" thoughts without erasing them.
    I've done so much stuff like this with just a desktop - the "reply to all" button is the most catastrophic, yet, there is never an "are you sure you want to reply to all" (company distribution list when commenting on the boss's thoughts to a co worker, ALL parties in a lawsuit when sending evidence to your lawyer- )

Or: Are you sure you want to start this thread??
    Another disastrous one.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 01:24 AM.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-23-11 01:21 AM
    I've done so much stuff like this with just a desktop - the "reply to all" button is the most disastrous, yet, there is never an "are you sure you want to apply to all" (company distribution list, ALL parties in a lawsuit - )
    I know. It happens all the time.

Plus, you would be surprised at how little people know about computers. People don't save after doing hours of work and then complain that their computer has problems when it is a user error.
    11-23-11 01:25 AM
    We may get OS2 before we get the end of this story...

11-23-11 01:25 AM
    We may get OS2 before we get the end of this story...

I laughed SOOOOOO hard when I read this!!!
    11-23-11 01:27 AM
    haha, RIM should use this story to promote PL.
    11-23-11 01:31 AM
    What happened?
    Anyone knows?
    Maybe Docs to Go is using fast save? Which saves only the changes compared to the last save. This "feature" in Office has caused accidental data leaks more times than I can count. It's basically a silent track changes.
    Sludge44 likes this.
    11-23-11 01:44 AM
    Your boss, an aspiring fiction writer, also happened to be a Playbook owner.

A month earlier, after spending one too many evening writing and rewriting the first page of the novel he was sure would make him famous, he started to be puzzled : although his word count had been stalled at 300 words for weeks, the file size of the document he was fighting with just kept on swelling. It had become completely bloated.

Using the Windows notepad as an x-ray machine, he exposed the 300 words statistic for what it was : a lie. The indisputable reminder of all his toil lied right in front of him. Countless hours of editing, pieces and bits of words, complete sentences, incomplete thoughts, they were all aligned under the spotlight.

And that morning, delighted by the prose you submited in your email, he remembered your playbook and was suddenly curious...

11-23-11 02:43 AM
    Congrats Taylor!
    11-23-11 02:44 AM
    ummm.... who cares?

I can only hope this story was real and that it happened to you.
    11-23-11 03:35 AM
    like my computer science teacher always said, "the computer is only as smart as the user"
    11-23-11 08:35 AM
    There is a very real reason why that scenario is possible with Words to go. Care to venture a guess as to why this is possible?
    Stupid "security features."

You emailed the document to yourself and opened it on your Playbook from bridged email. Playbook won't let you save anything from the bridge on your Playbook because it thinks that this kind of activity that people do every day is a breach of security.

You tried to save it on your phone and were successful but there were multiple versions because RIM made finding these files really difficult. You sent the wrong version to your boss.

This is ultimately user error but the way bridge works with documents makes doc version errors likely. This is why you always have to look at the version that is attached to your email before you send it.

This is your fault but RIM has to make working with documents over the bridge easier.
    11-23-11 08:48 AM
    Not really surprised by this. OP would probably blame the PB for any all of the problems in life. So easy to just blame RIM instead of blaming yourself for being tech-illiterate.
    11-23-11 08:52 AM
    <insert flame toward OP here>
    11-23-11 08:59 AM
    OP didn't anyone ever tell you when you get a bug up your rear about something to start a new doc instead of ranting in one you would never want that seen?
    11-23-11 09:05 AM
    Made me think of this saying "words fly away, writings remain" as in don't ever right sh*t down you don't want someone to use against you, cuz you can always deny having said something
    11-23-11 09:10 AM
    ID 10 T Error
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    11-23-11 09:19 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD