As an 8 year user of RIM/BlackBerry devices, I bit the bullet and got a PlayBook 16GB from BestBuy yesterday when the price dropped to $199. What a steal, right?

Well, I wanted to love the Playbook but I returned it today - only 24 hours later. I love the size, I think it's decent hardware specs, the OS seemed OK, but the app catalog really sucks. Yes, I even downloaded and installed the 2.0 beta and put several Android apps on. They worked OK. But if I have to use an "app player" for the majority of apps that I want to use, I might as well get an Android tablet to begin with.

BlackBerry Bridge: pretty cool concept. I have a Torch 9810 that is on my corporate BES. Bridge worked "OK". I wasn't blown away. Found myself wondering why I wouldn't just pick up my Torch instead of the tablet. My personal conclusion was if Bridge is the only advantage over other tablets, it just isn't a big enough advantage. Not even for $199.

Anyone else grab a discounted unit and having similar thoughts about returning?
    11-21-11 09:41 PM
    Bridge is actually why I bought mine, then my wife's a week later, and bridge is why we are keeping them. Works great for us!
    johnmarki, kbz1960, KermEd and 1 others like this.
    11-21-11 09:45 PM
    Seems to me you never had any real intentions of keeping it anyway considering the issues you pointed out have already been well documented.

C'est la vie

Glad you never hung onto it knowing that you didn't enjoy it.
    11-21-11 09:48 PM
    not at all. In fact just picked up a second one for the gf for christmas :-)

She kept using mine so it wasn't a hard decision. Only thing was it was impossible to buy they sold out so quickly, so i got a 32gb one for her. still worth it!
    KermEd, kbz1960 and boldman4 like this.
    11-21-11 09:49 PM
    Well my big thing is being able to use bridge for the data from my phone since I don't have a computer/laptop and hate not being able to see certain stuff on my bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 09:51 PM
    Ok, I tried to leave this post without replying but I just couldn't as I need to know.....what were you expecting?????

You're a seasoned BlackBerry user and have been registered on CrackBerry since 2009. You must have spent time reading blogs and forum posts. You are even techy enough to tackle upgrading to Beta 2.0 (I'm not game for that yet).

The PlayBook has been out for 7 or 8 months (depending how you count), many blogs have been written on here and many posts with complaints about the lack of apps.

With all this inside your head and you still return it for lack of apps?

Seriously. What were you expecting?

**** I'm not hating on PlayBook. I love mine. I just bought a second 64G.
    11-21-11 10:04 PM
    As an 8 year user of RIM/BlackBerry devices, I bit the bullet and got a PlayBook 16GB from BestBuy yesterday when the price dropped to $199. What a steal, right?

Well, I wanted to love the Playbook but I returned it today - only 24 hours later. I love the size, I think it's decent hardware specs, the OS seemed OK, but the app catalog really sucks. Yes, I even downloaded and installed the 2.0 beta and put several Android apps on. They worked OK. But if I have to use an "app player" for the majority of apps that I want to use, I might as well get an Android tablet to begin with.

BlackBerry Bridge: pretty cool concept. I have a Torch 9810 that is on my corporate BES. Bridge worked "OK". I wasn't blown away. Found myself wondering why I wouldn't just pick up my Torch instead of the tablet. My personal conclusion was if Bridge is the only advantage over other tablets, it just isn't a big enough advantage. Not even for $199.

What I failed to understand is that you could have saved urself the grief of buying and returning it back......if u could load android apps and the OS 2.0, I bet u could have done some reading about what the PB can and cant do in here at CB....
    People who grabbed the discounted item have been waiting for long to get this awesome piece of device called PB..... you are in a very minute minority and you will hardly find any here at CB right now who share ur feelings.......much less sympathize......

This place is strewn with PB lovers, and right now with the discounts there are more happy PB owners..... now u go and enjoy ur Torch.....
    Sosa-22, NaijaBerry and jivegirl14 like this.
    11-21-11 10:15 PM

You ruined my happy spree....dang now I have to go back to grumpy

You didn't think of checking app world before buying?
    johnmarki likes this.
    11-21-11 10:19 PM
    What I failed to understand is that you could have saved urself the grief of buying and returning it back......if u could load android apps and the OS 2.0, I bet u could have done some reading about what the PB can and cant do in here at CB....
    People who grabbed the discounted item have been waiting for long to get this awesome piece of device called PB..... you are in a very minute minority and you will hardly find any here at CB right now who share ur feelings.......much less sympathize......

This place is strewn with PB lovers, and right now with the discounts there are more happy PB owners..... now u go and enjoy ur Torch.....
    Ok, just to clarify - there is no grief and I'm certainly not looking for sympathy. lol
    11-21-11 10:20 PM
    I think it's good that he gave it a try. Some people don't realize how awful Android apps are until they try them in person.

I sympathize. Just ignore the people jumping on you for not blindly loving something because of the brand. Some people will buy anything with a Blackberry logo on it.
    JBenn911, dynot, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    11-21-11 10:21 PM
    Both my wife and I absolutely love our new playbooks. She used to have a galaxy tab but she hated it. She found that it was to large to be able to carry around at meetings. She says it felt like it was geared towards children. So it's sitting around here collecting dust now.

But she says the playbook is perfect in every way. And I agree.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 10:32 PM
    i like my playbook, small/portable, good source of entertainment such as a good web browser/music/movies/games, and being able to bridge with my BB so i don't have to flip between devices to chat (mind you i wish BBM had group chat ported over) or check email, battery life is pretty good...so it serves its purpose. and when im on the couch or in bed and wanna browse the net, its much easier...and i think more practical to use a tablet than a laptop, even if it was a small one like a netbook.

what else would you need to use it for?
    eelect likes this.
    11-21-11 10:33 PM
    Ok, just to clarify - there is no grief and I'm certainly not looking for sympathy. lol
    What were you expecting with that post?
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-21-11 10:52 PM
    if ur not willing to spend money on decent apps u'll get crap.

modern combat 2 is awesome.
    11-21-11 10:54 PM
    I find bridge very useful if Im browsing the web in bed and then get a message and Im too lazy to go look for my phone. My sister just got one last weekend to she loves it to.
    bond8855 likes this.
    11-21-11 11:03 PM
    I am seeing a lot more apps popping up now. Hoping by OS 2 there will be even a lot more. I paid full price for mine and use the bridging enough that I feel even having paid full price it is worth it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    AggreX likes this.
    11-21-11 11:38 PM
    Clearly you were looking and not really buying.....

Reading between the lines, a tablet is something that you don't seem to need and even an iPad would have not worked for you. A tablet is something that you need to FIND uses for because its something brand new and every new owner has to go through the "how can I use this thing to add value to my life" discovery period.

With only 24hrs of ownership, you clearly didn't even begin to answer the life/value question.
    11pts likes this.
    11-21-11 11:40 PM
    I love my PB and Bridge is my favorite feature of any tablet I know of. I never turn Bridge off so I have full browsing and access to my communication apps from anywhere on a large, brilliant, portable screen. Sorry it wasn't for you OP, maybe you would enjoy a PSP's large option of some real portable games. My PlayBook never leaves my side.
    11-21-11 11:41 PM
    I love the PB. I have friends who own ipad2 and HP 10" inchers and all look in awe that it fits inside my suite pocket i realized, if you don't carry it, you won't use it. and 7" is great size.

Its the right size, incredible video playback, had some games, and nice camera. Oh and i can share the DATA from my BB phone which most corporate users use.

I just have to ask myself, why did i wait this long.

I AM planning on returning my 16GB..... for the 64Gb one! :P Yes i want MORE storage.
    11-22-11 12:41 AM
    @ OP.. what if the next OS update is like, freaking amazing, and the prices are back to normal, and then you think .. wow I had one for 199.. what did I do!! lol
    11-22-11 01:17 AM
    Does the Playbook do email yet or do you have to use the Bridget to connect with a Blackberry phone for email? Also do they offer a Netflix app for this?
    11-22-11 01:24 AM
    Seems like you didn't really experience the Playbook. It might not make sense right now why you'd pick the PB and not the Torch to check emails for example, but it does come in handy at the most random times. Specially as you start using your playbook more, you'll start forgetting the phone unless theres a call coming. Cool part too if you use it for music, your phone PIM notifications are also on the PB.
    11-22-11 04:11 AM
    Some of us bought the playbook when first released. after all this time and waiting for updates. the graphics, style, trouble free, uterly fantastic pad how can you take it back after the bargin you had. the future is still with the playbook. the apps that you get wether your a gamer or book reader. facebook or twitter. the style of pad is sutable for all. ps if there is any spelling mistakes it is how we spell in South Wales UK and ot any fault of the playbook spell check.
    11-22-11 04:16 AM
    if ur not willing to spend money on decent apps u'll get crap.

modern combat 2 is awesome.
    wasnt there a saying like:

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys !!!

:-)
    11-22-11 04:22 AM
    At the price I paid for my soon 2B here PB ($125.00) I wouldn't return it if I hated it. To be fair, I never thought about buying a tablet until I saw the new eReaders from Amazon & Nook, and while the prices seemed enticing, I kept wondering if there was a tablet on the market that could do what the iPad & PB do, but for $200 or so. Enter Black Friday, a day that I have NEVER supported because Thanksgiving is for staying home and enjoying life's extremely short ride with family and friends....until I saw the Staple's flier in the Sunday paaper with the PB @ $199. Well, I just had to search the internet, and I found that many sites were offering the 16 gb PB for $199, but because I hesitated, they quickly sold out. Then, obsessed with getting a deal now, I woke up at about 3 AM Monday morning, searched the net, and found a deal at buy.com. After reading a few short blurbs on that site's reputation, I began the order process, when lo and behold, a $75 credit is offered if I applied for and paid with a new Chase credit card. I applied, got approved, and bought the PB, and at a price that no Nook or Kindle could hold a fire to (pun intended), and with features that say "professional grade". OK, I'm done; I got what I want at a price I never thought possible, and if I hate the sucker ever, I will never return it....just hand it to someone who can appreciate its potential uber awesomeness.
    Snap51, 11pts, AggreX and 2 others like this.
    11-22-11 05:52 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD