Hey guys, I was really looking forward to upgrade my 9800 to a 9900 at the end of the year but based on all the threads and news about bricked 9900s, I don't know if I should go ahead with it.

What do you guys think??
    11-21-11 06:17 AM
    The 9900 is a much better phone than the 9800. Even bricked.
    11-21-11 06:22 AM
    I upgraded from the 9800 to the 9900 in August and I have never looked back. It is a great device. RIM have admitted that there is a bricking problem (and the evidence in this forum backs that up) but no-one seems to be able to put an accurate figure on it. On the bright side, if it does turn into a brick you can always get it replaced.
    11-21-11 06:29 AM
    Seems to be related to the charging dock. I know quite a few people that have the 9900 since launch, and nobody reported any problems. Everyone is charging with the usb cable. i was about to order the dock for work but i'm afraid it'll fry my 9900.
    11-21-11 06:45 AM
    Yes go for it. I came from a 9800 to a 9900. I haven't had any problems. Hope you don't get / have a bricked 9900......you won't be disapointed !
    11-21-11 06:51 AM
    Yes, and this is coming from a person who had their 9900 bricked within 10 hours of ownership. I just went back the following day and got a replacement. If it gets bricked again, I will continue replacing it until the matter is resolved...that's how good it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 07:12 AM
    Absolutely yes. It will make you fall in love with blackberrys all over again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-21-11 07:13 AM
    Definite Yes

Had a Hungary made 9900 since August on Vodafone UK and used a charging dock since day 1.

My first Berry so can't compare to older models but it is a great piece of kit.

Latest OS .540 is a great build and battery life is now fine.
    11-21-11 09:02 AM
    go for 9900.

I've had a Mexico made 9900 since August. I use the USB charger that goes with it when i charge it when i go to bed, and sometimes, when i need to charge it fast, I use the playbook charger.

so far so good. I had the stock OS from TMO - .250, until last night when I updated to .540. No issues.....
    11-21-11 10:41 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    absolutely yes. It will make you fall in love with blackberrys all over again.

Sent from my blackberry 9930 using tapatalk
    +10000000 !!!!

11-21-11 10:52 AM
    Get it for sure

JVM errors/bricks are recoverable. Search CB. I recovered my bricked/reboot looped 9930 last week with DM Loader(.exe). You'll be fine.

11-21-11 12:06 PM
    Bricks by definition are not recoverable. I have both the 9810 and the 9900. My 9900 is growing on me but, at least, the 9810 has only the very rare brick.
    11-21-11 04:19 PM
    Everyone here seems to be saying yes but I'm not so sure i agree with them. I only upgraded my from 9700 because I broke it; as cool as this new phone is I dont think its worth $200 if you already have a fairly modern blackberry.

I would advise you wait for a price drop before upgrading. Its a better phone, but I dont think its $200 better then what i just had.
    11-21-11 04:53 PM
    I just got back from VZW. My 9930 is nuked/bricked and I haven't got the inclination to work on it. So they will be sending me a new one.
    If this happens while I'm on travel I would be without a new device until one is sent, and that would be unacceptable. If that is an acceptable risk then yes, it's a great device. But in my assessment, it is flawed and I would not recommend it to someone who doesn't carry a spare.
    Based on my experience and for the first time ever, I regret having purchased a BB.
    Chrisy and sallenthornton like this.
    11-21-11 05:13 PM
    No way would I get a 9900/9930 right now. They are bricking randomly, or seemingly, for a lot of folks. Yeah, sometimes they can be recovered but what a hassle! What if you're not at home or not in front of a PC when it bricks/nukes?

Then there's reloading all your apps and their keys, setting permissions. Restoring data. Ugh.

I would keep my current phone until this bricking issue is fixed. It's ridiculous! It's not a small issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/

If you're prepared for it to possibly brick 3 times a month and are ok with the hassles, go for it.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-21-11 at 05:19 PM.
    11-21-11 05:17 PM
    Several random reboots, one nuke and one nuke or brick. I'll find out tonight since I'm curious and I want to see this through.
    If they would have had a 9370 there, I would have bought it outright.
    This device is not ready for its close-up.
    11-21-11 05:25 PM
    I have to say I've been teetering on the edge - no pun intended. I've had a love hate relationship with my Bold2 for a while. I recently upgraded the OS and was amazed how happy I was until the browser barfed on almost every significant - and not so significant apps i have. For example - I can't even login into (in the not so significant app category) cbs sportsline to play my fantasy or pool games. Won't take my un and pw but my friends iphones will. Come on. Not to mention there are certain work-related sites I can't visit due to lack of browser compatibility - and we're a BB shop for chrissakes....

So PLEASE make me believe I should stay with my blackberry - because while all my computers and tablets (mostly) are apple, I'm clinging desperately to my BB and feeling more pissed off everyday. Help! I so want to believe the 9900/9930 will change my perspective. I've a 'grandfathered' unlimited plan with AT&T which if they try to ditch that with a contract upgrade I'll move on over to someone else - get this after 22 years as a wireless customer (albeit through various acquisitions but I've never switched). Hmmm... maybe I'm on to something here....
    11-21-11 05:48 PM
    If you can move away from blackberry. They're really a sinking ship and there are so many better alternatives. I switched years ago and have never looked back.
    11-21-11 06:11 PM
    Ok - I can respect that - but it begs the question - why are you still on this board? I mean - never mind. Anyway, more comments please.

If you can move away from blackberry. They're really a sinking ship and there are so many better alternatives. I switched years ago and have never looked back.
    11-21-11 06:22 PM
    Ok - I can respect that - but it begs the question - why are you still on this board? I mean - never mind. Anyway, more comments please.
    Its clear he still misses the BB! Otherwise why would he be trolling here? Justsayin!
    shaleem likes this.
    11-21-11 06:25 PM
    Qbnkelt, where's your 9810? No problems so far with my 9900, but I had the chance to upgrade to .540, something VZW users haven't yet had the option to do. Is .540 and up the answer? I honestly don't know, some have revived their bricks, some have not.

I know you very much looked forward to this platform, and I'm sorry you have had problems.

That being said, I might buy one again (although I miss the larger screen on my 9810), but it seems I've been lucky. One bricking is too many, it happens and this phone is history though.
    11-21-11 07:01 PM
    Best keyboard, smooth graphics, elegant design, good battery after upgrading OS.
    Go for it! It's better if it were cheaper tho.
    11-21-11 07:41 PM
    Qbnkelt, where's your 9810? No problems so far with my 9900, but I had the chance to upgrade to .540, something VZW users haven't yet had the option to do. Is .540 and up the answer? I honestly don't know, some have revived their bricks, some have not.

I know you very much looked forward to this platform, and I'm sorry you have had problems.

That being said, I might buy one again (although I miss the larger screen on my 9810), but it seems I've been lucky. One bricking is too many, it happens and this phone is history though.
    My 9810 is in my kitchen drawer, along with all my retired BBerries!
    I was just able to bring back my nuked 9930, but I'm still going to take the replacement. I am truly dissappointed in what is happening. The device is wonderful when it works....unfortunately I do not find it to be trustworthy.
    11-21-11 08:37 PM
    I was just able to bring back my nuked 9930, but I'm still going to take the replacement. I am truly dissappointed in what is happening. The device is wonderful when it works....unfortunately I do not find it to be trustworthy.
    Try the ATT 9900. 12 days and no brick. I am still proud to carry my 9810.
    11-21-11 08:45 PM
    It's like owning a nice car that worries you every time you get behind the wheel. If you don't trust it, it's an uneasy feeling relying on it.
    11-21-11 08:55 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD