Hello,

This is my first post on the Crackberry Forums and i'm hoping you can help.

My Blackberry Bold 9780 keeps turning itself off, in my pocket or when I put it down on a table. At first I thought it might be a problem with the battery so I bought a new genuine battery for Blackberry and put it in my phone but I was still having the same problem. I decided to send a tweet to @BlackberryHelp on Twitter and they advised me to do a security wipe, which I did, and still my phone kept turning itself off. I sent them another tweet and another message but they haven't replied. I'm getting a little bit, put it this way, frustrated that when i've paid for a premium smartphone at over �400 I'm having problems after owning the phone for just over 6 months. The phone is therefore still under warrenty but I thought I would just put a message on here first before I contact them to see if it is a small fix that I can do myself rather than living without my Blackberry while it's sent off to be fixed.

I am getting quite fed up now because, I get the Blackberry logo up and I have to wait for the bar to go across (see below image) which takes AGES. I'd hate to rely on the phone in an emergency! After the BBM and e-mail outages not so long ago and now this, i'm SERIOUSLY considering scrapping my Blackberry all together and buying the new iPhone 4S.

Device info

Your carrier: Tesco Mobile UK
    Blackberry 9780
    Software Version: v6.0.0.294 (Bundle 905, Platform 6.5.0.54)
    File free: 236072028 Bytes

Apps installed:

Blackberry App World 3.0.1.29
    Blackberry Messenger 6.0.1.32
    Blackberry Protect 1.0.10.25
    Browser 6.0.0
    Copter 1.9
    Documents to Go 2.0005.081
    eBay 2.0.0.47
    Flashlight: Free 2.890
    Google Maps 4.5.3
    Klondike 1.4.8
    Snake- Free 18.0
    Soduku 1.0.11
    Texas Hold'Em King 2.31
    Twitter 2.0.0.16
    Vlingo- Virtual Assistant 4.11.4
    ZonaSnap- Multipurpose Screen Capture
    11-20-11 01:21 PM
    Hi there

Surprisingly your os is ancient but the Apps / BBM etc are all current. Would strongly recommend you upgrade the aged os 294 to .668 from Vodafone UK or O2. Please dont forget to do a full backup 1st via the Desktop Manager before you proceed with the os upgrade. Your BB blues should disappear in "no time"

All depends how soon you act now !
    11-20-11 01:49 PM
    According to the Blackberry Desktop Software, my OS is up to date?
    11-20-11 01:53 PM
    According to the Blackberry Desktop Software, my OS is up to date?
    It might be showing the latest Tesco released OS. There is a sticky on top of this 9780 forum with download links for the .668 builds. Upgrade directions are here. Good luck.
    11-20-11 04:32 PM
    it's quite old. time to update it to .615, .666 or .668.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 09:16 AM
    Okay, so following you're instructions I've updated to .668 and i'm still having the same problems. Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the quick replies by the way, you're all great

Josh
    11-21-11 11:40 AM
    Okay, so following you're instructions I've updated to .668 and i'm still having the same problems. Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the quick replies by the way, you're all great

Josh
    When and what time is it turning it self off? Is it constantly at the same time? Check to see that automatic on/off schedules aren't in place in the options.

11-21-11 03:37 PM
    It just goes off at random times, like I can send a text message, pick up my phone to check if they've replied and my phone screen is blank. I click the unlock button and nothing happens so I click the red on button and the red light comes on and the Blackberry loading screen comes up and takes a while to come back on. Other times, i'll get it out my pocket and it does the same thing.

Checked the auto on/off settings. I knew it wasnt that because it doesn't happen every day and not even frequentley but it happens like 4/5 times in a week and its really fustrating when youre talking to someone and you have to explain why you took so long to reply 'cause your Blackberry turned itself off.

Stupid Blackberries... maybe i'll just go back to the old Nokia bricks, never had any problems with them

Josh
    11-21-11 04:34 PM
    It just goes off at random times, like I can send a text message, pick up my phone to check if they've replied and my phone screen is blank. I click the unlock button and nothing happens so I click the red on button and the red light comes on and the Blackberry loading screen comes up and takes a while to come back on. Other times, i'll get it out my pocket and it does the same thing.

Checked the auto on/off settings. I knew it wasnt that because it doesn't happen every day and not even frequentley but it happens like 4/5 times in a week and its really fustrating when youre talking to someone and you have to explain why you took so long to reply 'cause your Blackberry turned itself off.

Stupid Blackberries... maybe i'll just go back to the old Nokia bricks, never had any problems with them

Josh
    Hey hey there, no need to get all angry or saying they're all like it. If you're still under warranty, you can exchange it. But If you feel dissatisfied and your old nokia kicked ***, then why not?

11-21-11 04:56 PM
    Sorry, yeah i'll ring my network provider tomorrow and see if they'll replace it. Thanks for your help
    11-22-11 02:42 PM
    Something I probably should of mentioned...the battery in my Blackberry is not the original one that shipped with the phone. The battery life started to deteriorate so I bought a new one from eBay, the listing said it was an original Blackberry battery but i'm wondering whether this could be the cause of my troubles? How much is it for a genuine original Blackberry battery and do you think this will help?
    11-22-11 03:14 PM
    Something I probably should of mentioned...the battery in my Blackberry is not the original one that shipped with the phone. The battery life started to deteriorate so I bought a new one from eBay, the listing said it was an original Blackberry battery but i'm wondering whether this could be the cause of my troubles? How much is it for a genuine original Blackberry battery and do you think this will help?

Most of the eBay batteries are Chinese fakes. My last advice prior to you looking the Nokia way would be to source a Genuine M-S1 battery and then evaluate your position with your BlackBerry. Generally, these devices ought not to give so much hassles.

Gosh!! RIM lists a genuine M-S1 battery via their BlackBerry online store for $79.99 & its out-of-stock...
    BlackBerryMS1Battery1500mAh - RIM US

If you check online on Amazon.com you'll find listings from $5 right to abt $50. Check for reviews on the lower cost ones & you'll see buyers are already complaining.

Hmm! buying a battery sounds tricky ...
    Last edited by audio_engr; 11-22-11 at 04:01 PM.
    11-22-11 03:45 PM
    Yeah, when the battery arrived it said it had come from Hong Kong so it was probably fake. I only paid about �3 for it so I guess you get what you pay for! I'll look into buying a genuine battery.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Josh

11-22-11 04:03 PM
    Hi there,

I have bought Bold 3 9780 4 months back and I am using 6.0 Bunble 905 (V6.0.0294, platform 6.5.0.54) in my phone. I am also facing the same problem.. sometimes it goes completely off with red light blinking on and restart. I have pull off my battery and then the phone starts back in normal mode.

I have replaced with OG battery, not a new one but from another 9780 phone, which is also 6 months used (my second phone), but the problem is same.

Do you suggest to load some specific OS software version or please give me some another solution.. This is making me mad now..

I have bought a second hand phone and that too in india... i dont know anything about warranty on it.. please help help help !!
    05-29-12 04:41 AM
    Following the directions in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7143147
    Or this one:
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

It isn't all that hard to do. You'll need a windows machine and the device software from any carrier. I recommend 6.0.0.448, 6.0.0.666, 6.0.0.668 or higher. Go by App version, not bundle.
    05-29-12 12:30 PM
    It is not because of old OS, Software on your phone or applications killing the RAM. I have fixed two such blackberry devices by removing the cover and re-aligning the battery terminals. Happens if a phone is dropped or the board gets lose a bit. If you can't do it yourself then take it to a technician. He will do it for you.

The problem arises mostly if you change the housing of your phone and the technicians mess it up Well sometimes it does. But peeps who are having the same kind of problem should give it a whack.
    02-18-13 03:48 PM
    People buy new batteries and the problem still remains. Could be deteriorating hardware, bad signal chip causing extra drain, overwhelming traffic, etc. But usually the genuine batteries are a bit pricy. If you want to get a replacement battery then never settle for cheap alternatives. China is mass producing knockoffs.
    02-18-13 03:50 PM
    I know exactly what you mean; Yet for me what happens is it turns off and it wont turn on unless i take the batter AND sim card out, then i can only turn it on without he sim card for it to work then after that's loaded add the battery in, it happens twice a day which takes like 30 mins of my time, If anyone could help it would be amazing x
    09-10-13 01:42 PM
    Hello,

This is my first post on the Crackberry Forums and i'm hoping you can help.

My Blackberry Bold 9780 keeps turning itself off, in my pocket or when I put it down on a table. At first I thought it might be a problem with the battery so I bought a new genuine battery for Blackberry and put it in my phone but I was still having the same problem. I decided to send a tweet to @BlackberryHelp on Twitter and they advised me to do a security wipe, which I did, and still my phone kept turning itself off. I sent them another tweet and another message but they haven't replied. I'm getting a little bit, put it this way, frustrated that when i've paid for a premium smartphone at over �400 I'm having problems after owning the phone for just over 6 months. The phone is therefore still under warrenty but I thought I would just put a message on here first before I contact them to see if it is a small fix that I can do myself rather than living without my Blackberry while it's sent off to be fixed.

I am getting quite fed up now because, I get the Blackberry logo up and I have to wait for the bar to go across (see below image) which takes AGES. I'd hate to rely on the phone in an emergency! After the BBM and e-mail outages not so long ago and now this, i'm SERIOUSLY considering scrapping my Blackberry all together and buying the new iPhone 4S.

http://static.lowyat.net/uploads/att...9064_thumb.jpg

Device info

Your carrier: Tesco Mobile UK
    Blackberry 9780
    Software Version: v6.0.0.294 (Bundle 905, Platform 6.5.0.54)
    File free: 236072028 Bytes

Apps installed:

Blackberry App World 3.0.1.29
    Blackberry Messenger 6.0.1.32
    Blackberry Protect 1.0.10.25
    Browser 6.0.0
    Copter 1.9
    Documents to Go 2.0005.081
    eBay 2.0.0.47
    Flashlight: Free 2.890
    Google Maps 4.5.3
    Klondike 1.4.8
    Snake- Free 18.0
    Soduku 1.0.11
    Texas Hold'Em King 2.31
    Twitter 2.0.0.16
    Vlingo- Virtual Assistant 4.11.4
    ZonaSnap- Multipurpose Screen Capture
    I have the same problem with my blackberry curve 3g, only that I have been using it since 19 months that it started to happen. I use a vodafone India sim and my bb just goes blank when I insert the sim while searching for the network. I updated the software, had a couple of boots and other technical things happening to my phone in order to getting it fixed but it still has the same frustrating problem. Without sim, it works for about an hour or so. And if by mistake, I decide to listen to a song while on the go, just 1 song (sim being inserted in another phone of an entirely different brand and working just fine!) and it goes blank..so I have to pull the battery out and push it in again (only to see the LOADING screen for about a minute or two) and it goes blank again! Worth noting is that I replaced the battery which came with the phone with another one bought from the bb store in India (and yes, it was original ). I replaced the battery because it had swollen out of proportion for some reason. I was told by the repair guy that my battery panel had 'shorting' because of damage by water maybe (recollection of which is absolutely absent). My handset is out of warranty now, so I don't really know what to do with this phone, I refuse to let go of it so soon as I'm an absolute bb fanatic but I really am pained because nobody seems to understand what the problem is. I'll be highly obliged if somebody tells me if its a hardware/RAM/software problem of a specific kind and tell me the next step in getting it fixed. I contacted bb support team but they haven't replied yet I want this same bb back! Please help!
    01-12-14 10:49 AM
    Have you tried reloading the device software from scratch yet? I suggest trying that, but make a selective (custom) backup via the desktop software with the following settings checked, the rest leave them unchecked (the confusing ones):

Addressbook - All
    Address book Options
    Alarms
    Attachment Options
    Autotext Data Version
    BBGroups (aka BBM Groups)
    BIS acccount data (saves from re-adding e-mail addresses)
    BlackBerry Bridge (only for Playbook tablet)
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Bluetooth options (skip for clean state)
    Browser Bookmarks
    Browser Folders (safe to skip if you don't understand what they are)
    Browser Options (skip for clean state)
    Browser Push options
    Calendar - all (skip unless you use all the time)
    Calendar Options (skip for clean state)
    Camera Options
    Clock Options
    Device analyzer options
    Diagnostic App options
    Enhanced GMail plugin (skip if you don't use gmail, or don't need it at all)
    Full-Predictive Options (basically direct or predictive keyboard settings)
    HTML email options
    Icon arrangement (for home screen, app folders)
    Input method switcher options
    Input system properties
    Key store options
    Keystoremanager
    Mailbox icon management
    Map global options
    Map locations
    Map settings
    Maps
    Memopad options
    Memos (memopad)
    Message list options
    Messages (only if you have an @carrier.blackberry.com e-mail address you depend on)
    Messenger options (google, wlm, yahoo, etc. Used for IM apps)
    MMS options
    Mobile Network Options
    Mobile Hotspot Options (OS 7.1 blackberry's only, leave unchecked if you configure it after OS update yourself, as I do)
    NFC options (for NFC devices only)
    Options (obviously what this is for, leave unchecked for factory defaults)
    Phone Options
    Phone Call logs (skip if not a necessity)
    Predictive Multitap options
    Profiles options
    Recent contacts (e-mail autocomplete, safe to skip this)
    Search options (universal search)
    Service book (skip since your carrier resends them each time an update is done, only keep if absolutely needed)
    Shortcut settings
    SMS messages (only if you absolutely need these)
    Sounds (sound profiles)
    Spell check options
    Spellcheckable options
    Suretype options
    Tasks, Tasks Options (skip unless you use that app)
    TCP/IP (APN)
    TLS options
    Theme Settings
    VideoRecorder options (Video Camera app)
    WLAN profiles (Wifi)
    Voice Activated Dialing options (only if you use this)

Once the above was backed up (note what's only needed, optional), then remove the battery while it's still connected, if you get a prompt, then click Upgrade. Let it do it's magic until it reloads and resets the device. Pop the battery back in and let it continue the loading process. Once done, restore the backup after jumping through the intro videos and SKIPPING the setup process.

Best of luck!

I have the same problem with my blackberry curve 3g, only that I have been using it since 19 months that it started to happen. I use a vodafone India sim and my bb just goes blank when I insert the sim while searching for the network. I updated the software, had a couple of boots and other technical things happening to my phone in order to getting it fixed but it still has the same frustrating problem. Without sim, it works for about an hour or so. And if by mistake, I decide to listen to a song while on the go, just 1 song (sim being inserted in another phone of an entirely different brand and working just fine!) and it goes blank..so I have to pull the battery out and push it in again (only to see the LOADING screen for about a minute or two) and it goes blank again! Worth noting is that I replaced the battery which came with the phone with another one bought from the bb store in India (and yes, it was original ). I replaced the battery because it had swollen out of proportion for some reason. I was told by the repair guy that my battery panel had 'shorting' because of damage by water maybe (recollection of which is absolutely absent). My handset is out of warranty now, so I don't really know what to do with this phone, I refuse to let go of it so soon as I'm an absolute bb fanatic but I really am pained because nobody seems to understand what the problem is. I'll be highly obliged if somebody tells me if its a hardware/RAM/software problem of a specific kind and tell me the next step in getting it fixed. I contacted bb support team but they haven't replied yet I want this same bb back! Please help!
    01-12-14 11:29 AM
    I had this problem almost since the phone was new. I put in an expensive new OE battery - No change, shutting off several times a day, had to "sledgehammer reboot" (remove battery" to get it going again!::
    The solution is simple! I changed the "Network Mode" setting from "2G & 3G" to "2G", and it hasn't shut off in three months!
    Hope this works for you!
    Axabum
    07-06-14 04:44 PM
    Bought a 9900 last week from facebook (old phone died new one in post was left stranded so bought it) got it home was working fine then next day just randomly switching off,

did downgrades upgrades, changed battery and charger, took hole thing apart cleaned all connections etc, nope didn't work

Research and hours later, my quick fix, Keep the wireless or Bluetooth on!!!! (yup that was it) now been on and stayed on for a hole day!!!!!! shocking lol,
    kezren89 likes this.
    08-05-14 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD