Hello everyone, I just updated from 296 to 540 on Vodafone officially and my option to force 2G has disappeared. I'm only left with:

2&3G
    3G only

What happened? Others have told me that they have the option to force 2G.

I've installed leaked OSs and the option also vanished. It is only there with 296.

Any ideas?
    11-18-11 04:21 PM
    Each carrier decides and has RIM program their phones with the options that the carrier wants. Sounds like Vodo wanted 540 to give you less choices.
    11-18-11 04:48 PM
    Each carrier decides and has RIM program their phones with the options that the carrier wants. Sounds like Vodo wanted 540 to give you less choices.
    But in leaks this also disappeared while other had it still. I find it very strange.
    11-18-11 04:49 PM
    so does this means that if installed using voda's official os, 2g option will be gone?
    11-18-11 08:59 PM
    so does this means that if installed using voda's official os, 2g option will be gone?
    Probably not. It's only happening on my Vodafone model with the Vodafone upgrade. It still defaults to 2G in low coverage conditions, but I can't FORCE 2G. People have been using this leak for a while with no issues, I also tried it as a leak and same result: no force 2G
    11-19-11 02:32 AM
    I still have the 3 choices (2g, 3g, 2g&3g) and have just gone from .503 official to .540 VodaUK Official.

BUT, although my handset came from a Voda store initially, It was swapped out by a third party insurance company a few weeks ago which seems to be an unbranded version (no voda startup screen)

So, maybe its only affecting Voda supplied handsets?

Steve
    11-19-11 03:13 AM
    My 9900 came from Vodafone UK and I have installed their .540.

I still have the 2G only option available.
    11-19-11 03:54 AM
    Definitely not, unfortunately the OP has a faulty device.

If the phone came with those options, it should always have them... regardless of which OS is installed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 08:15 AM
    Definitely not, unfortunately the OP has a faulty device.

If the phone came with those options, it should always have them... regardless of which OS is installed.

I always thought this option is service books controlled?
    11-19-11 08:57 AM
    I always thought this option is service books controlled?
    Many have said that it is, but I don't believe so. I often don't back up my service books during an OS update, and before switching on my data connection to receive fresh ones, the 2G option is still there.

If it was service book controlled, then the 2G only option should return to the OP's device once new ones are pushed by his carrier.

I think it's down to the device's Vendor ID and the OS. So unless Vodafone ES have asked RIM to remove this option from recent OS builds, which they haven't, then it should still be there. Hence my belief the OP has a faulty device.

11-19-11 09:12 AM
    Many have said that it is, but I don't believe so. I often don't back up my service books during an OS update, and before switching on my data connection to receive fresh ones, the 2G option is still there.

If it was service book controlled, then the 2G only option should return to the OP's device once new ones are pushed by his carrier.

I think it's down to the device's Vendor ID and the OS. So unless Vodafone ES have asked RIM to remove this option from recent OS builds, which they haven't, then it should still be there. Hence my belief the OP has a faulty device.

When downgrading back to 296 this option always appears again (I've done it about 4 times now). That makes me believe that it's not faulty, but something is going on in my personal opinion! I don't know what. I could take it in, but since I have no issues whatsoever on my device (restarts, lag, bad battery life, etc) I fail to see how an option could be there in one build and gone in another.
    11-20-11 10:54 AM
    Is your phone definitely a Vodafone ES supplied and branded handset?
    11-20-11 12:04 PM
    Is your phone definitely a Vodafone ES supplied and branded handset?

Thanks for the reply!

How could I verify this?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-20-11 12:07 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

How could I verify this?
    Did you get it from a Vodafone store, and does it have the Vodafone logo splash screen when you power it up?
    11-20-11 12:10 PM
    Did you get it from a Vodafone store, and does it have the Vodafone logo splash screen when you power it up?

Vodafone splash screen, and yes, vodafone sent it to my house after resigning a contract with them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-20-11 12:12 PM
    Hmmm... I'm absolutely out of ideas then.

Do you know anyone else with a Voda ES 9900 who has the same problem?
    11-20-11 12:19 PM
    I have the same problem ! There's something wrong with Vodafone ES!

Hmmm... I'm absolutely out of ideas then.

Do you know anyone else with a Voda ES 9900 who has the same problem?
    12-12-11 01:07 PM
    Yeah, Vodafone responded to my post: they said that the update was a mistake, and it's not "authorized" and until it is, there won't be any 2G options.

So just get rid of it and downgrade. The 540 wasn't tested on the Vodafone ES devices, and they said a few people got through to the update by accident (blackberry's fault).
    12-12-11 07:11 PM
    I wonder why it's just Vodafone ES, as anyone else on every other Voda carrier throughout Europe can upgrade to any leaked or official software and still keep the same mobile network options.

I apologise for my initial response that you had a 'faulty device' as that is clearly not the case.

Obviously to keep the 2G setting, you'll have to stick to official Vodafone ES software in future. Stupid, but clearly the only solution until Voda ES change their ways.
    12-12-11 07:56 PM
    the lack of 2G option really affects me also !!! becouse 3G kills the battery very fast.
    my 9900 is bought from Vodafone Spain but i'm using it on Vodafone Romania. except .296 software version, no other OS version gives me 2G (leaked, official, 7.1, .540, .585) i've tryed them all....
    please if anyone knows a way of getting active 2G option on a newer OS version, please share.
    ps: my phone is branded Vodafone ES in startup screen
    01-02-12 11:55 AM
    Have you tried Vodafone Spain's official .585 yet... without deleting the vendor.xml file?

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...419F684CF8ADC4
    01-02-12 12:04 PM
    Have you tried Vodafone Spain's official .585 yet... without deleting the vendor.xml file?

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...419F684CF8ADC4
    no i haven't. i'll give it a try right now. but what is the difference in deleting or no the vendor file?
    Thanks Phill !
    01-02-12 12:09 PM
    no i haven't. i'll give it a try right now. but what is the difference in deleting or no the vendor file?
    Thanks Phill !
    It's only a theory and no guarantees it will work, but maybe there's something in the vendor file that might enable the 2G option.

As your phone is and always will be a Vodafone ES device, there's no need to delete the vendor file anyway if you're using their software.

Worth a try anyway. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    01-02-12 12:14 PM
    just finished uploading the vodafone es .585 without deleting the vendor.xml, result is the same, no 2G option. fot the moment i'll stick to the .296 until maybe Vodafone RO will release something new.
    01-02-12 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD