I started updating the device software on my BB 9900 using Desktop Manager 7 on my PC. I have done this many times and know the procedures and rules.

However this time the update started well. It created a backup, and halfway through writing files to the device, it gave a fatal error message. I had to quit and manually load the device software using apploader. That is done.

Now I want to restore my LoaderBackup file, but to my horror, I find that the file created in My Documents is called "LoaderBackup-(2011-11-18).bbb"

I thought .bbb was only created on Mac, so I don't know how this got created on my PC. How do I restore from this file?

I couldn't find any help on this by searching online. If anyone has any idea, or can help, I'd really appreciate that.
    11-18-11 02:40 PM
    I might add that DM7 on PC restore function only reads .ipd files, not .bbb
    Unless there is a trick I am missing...
    11-18-11 02:56 PM
    Exact same problem for me. Tried to install the leaked version of .540. Got the fatal error message (unspecified error document J0x000000024), but it generated a .bbb file on my PC and the desktop software backup/restore tool won't read it.
    11-21-11 04:46 PM
    Goto BlackBerry Software & Apps - Downloads - BlackBerryOS.com and download 7.0.0.32 it will restore both the old version and the new .bbb format.

To answer the questions...

Yes, it is a new file format.
    No, it does not have a ipd file in it.
    Yes, I had this happen to me also.
    And yes RIM should be ashamed for introducing a new file format without giving people a way to restore it.
    Last edited by uncltom; 11-22-11 at 01:27 AM.
    Mark PPG, lund and daneldan like this.
    11-22-11 01:12 AM
    Goto BlackBerry Software & Apps - Downloads - BlackBerryOS.com and download 7.0.0.32 it will restore both the old version and the new .bbb format.

To answer the questions...

Yes, it is a new file format.
    No, it does not have a ipd file in it.
    Yes, I had this happen to me also.
    And yes RIM should be ashamed for introducing a new file format without giving people a way to restore it.
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and one million, billion, trillion thank yous more.. i was freaking out.. my bb device os update froze in the middle and desktop software would not read the .bbb created on my pc.. you saved me.. i downloaded and was able to restore..
    01-16-12 01:30 PM
    thanks Tom!

Saved my @$$ :-)
    01-18-12 07:40 PM
    Here is an article on why has BlackBerry changed the .IPD to .BBB Backup File Format.
    Hope it helps understand better.
    03-18-12 11:04 AM
    Hi,

The same thing happened to me but am using a curve 9300. I have been to the link above but can't find the solution. Pls what software should I download? to convert my .bbb to .ipd..

thanks,
    CP
    10-29-13 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD