Do you wait until the battery goes all the way down or do you charge it on a schedule such as every night? I'm wondering if I'm shortening the battery life by charging it every night when I usually still have about 50% charge left. It's just that I usually charge my BB phone everynight so I'm in the habit, although my phone battery is usually way down by night.
    11-17-11 11:53 AM
    PB and Bold 9900 both go into their respective docks at night. Usually the Bold has significantly less juice on it. I won't usually charge it off of that schedule unless I'm on a heavy usage day or something.
    11-17-11 11:55 AM
    I charge my PB every night just like I charge my BB9900 each night...
    11-17-11 12:06 PM
    My 9930, my PB, and my 2 laptops get charged every night. No reason not to - each day they will start with a full battery so they are ready if I have to use them for awhile.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-17-11 12:09 PM
    I usually put it back on charge when it goes down to 20%. Otherwise I don't, sometimes which means that the PB goes for a couple of days without seeing its good friend- the wall charger.

At the end of the day, I guess its a personal preference as to when one charges their PB (or other e-devices)....
    11-17-11 12:19 PM
    I charge it when I sleep, just like my phone.
    11-17-11 12:22 PM
    Same here, we all three (9900, PB and I) go for recharge in the evening.
    11-17-11 12:36 PM
    Do you wait until the battery goes all the way down or do you charge it on a schedule such as every night? I'm wondering if I'm shortening the battery life by charging it every night when I usually still have about 50% charge left. It's just that I usually charge my BB phone everynight so I'm in the habit, although my phone battery is usually way down by night.
    I charge mine at arbitrary times, when I'm going out for an evening meeting and it's, say, below 50%, or at night if it's below 30% (since I run my White Noise app all night and don't want the PlayBook beeping and waking me up as it passes the 8% mark).

Sometimes I deliberately let it go down to 0%, and even drain it fully until it shuts itself off, to ensure the battery level calibration is fairly accurate. I just did that this morning actually, with it running for an extra 20 minutes on 0% before it died.

With these modern batteries and the PlayBook's advanced charging firmware, I don't believe anyone can significantly reduce the battery life by almost any pattern of use, other than possibly if they run it very hot (like 6-7W load?) for extended periods on a regular basis.

The only effect you might see by never letting it go below 50% is a gradual drift in the calibration so it thinks you have more or less energy storage than you really do. That would tend to show up as a big change in the "health" reading as reported by the OS and shown in Battery Guru. The net effect is just that it may appear to be draining slower or faster than it really is, but it won't actually damage the battery at all.
    11-17-11 01:02 PM
    i use mine alot so it needs charging daily.i let mine die tottaly before i charge.
    11-17-11 01:51 PM
    Thanks for your responses. Well the consensus seems to be that there is no consensus. It seems like quite a few do what I do and that it to charge it on a nightly schedule.

What happens if I screw up the battery calibration? Can I reset the calibration?
    11-17-11 08:28 PM
    I charge my PB along with my 9810 and my 9900 every night at home as well as at the office.
    11-17-11 08:33 PM
    i have the docking station that uses the magnetic charger so it goes there every night before i go to sleep. I use it as an alarm clock in the mornings and for weather forecast using the bedbuzz app.
    11-17-11 11:27 PM
    What happens if I screw up the battery calibration? Can I reset the calibration?
    As I wrote, "Sometimes I deliberately let it go down to 0%, and even drain it fully until it shuts itself off, to ensure the battery level calibration is fairly accurate."

Doing a full drain and recharge has been described in RIM's knowledgebase as a technique that should reset the calibration. I don't think it's a simple cause/effect thing... the calibration calculations are not performed immediately after that or anything. I believe it simply ensures that the next time the values are recalculated, it has a greater chance of being reasonably accurate because you've shown it the "big picture", so to speak, rather than always just showing it voltage readings at levels between 100% and, say, 60%.
    11-18-11 01:24 AM
    I work in an office and so I charge my PB at the office. I also charge my PB overnight...
    11-18-11 01:40 AM
    I charge mine everynight when I go to bed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Spamcube likes this.
    11-18-11 01:55 AM
    i will just plug in my bb and b everynight before bed.
    11-18-11 03:52 AM
    I feed mine when it gets hungry. No set schedule.
    11-18-11 05:48 AM
    Me, too. I use my PB daily and sometimes "consume mass quantities" with regards to online media. That's a lot of wifi and processor activity for hours on end. I charge it nightly and usually charge multiple times a day.
    11-18-11 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD