As RIM said at Devcon the next generation will use the QNX OS. With all the competition among the players and knowing that it is very important to be back where they were, RIM must have a serious hard time with this OS. From what I read native BBM and email seem to be very hard to integrate to this OS. But with all the expert resources a tech company like RIM have, they must had an idea of all this or they were ALL to optimistic. If they knew it would be so hard maybe they made a mistake when the bought QNX.

Since I'm far from a tech expert I would like to have your idea about:

Is RIM trying to fit BBM, email or whatever a modern cellphone needs with a incompatible OS in a way that the result will be an unstable accomodation?

If the OS is appropriate with everything, I think Q3 could be too late since the competitors will continue to increase their market share, don't you think so?
    11-16-11 11:46 PM
    I think they need a fully functioning phone in Q1 2012 to satisfy my need for a new phone!
    11-17-11 12:25 AM
    Wake up, they missed the game. It's over...they make nothing but promises that they can't keep (i loved the 'summer' update i got for my playbook...jokes that got delayed until NEXT YEAR)

I live near Waterloo and know many people that work with RIM since they hire locally (expecially from the University of Waterloo). The company is a mess. Morale is so low that people can barely get out of bed let alone be efficient. There are no deadlines, the company is not integrated with itself...This is why we keep getting promises that are delayed delayed delayed. The only (ONLY) reason RIM has 'decent' earnings is because of emerging markets (which android can easily take over). I hate to say it because I love blackberries, but those two guys drove the company right in to the ground and nobody even wants to save it. The company is worth $10 bln and would have been bought out by a competitor by now if it was even worth saving. The smartest guys in the room know this company is done. Saw the iceberg too late and the ship is too big to turn
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    11-17-11 12:47 AM
    The issue isn't the OS it's the BES/BIS. No matter what OS they use they would have to rewrite their back end network.
    11-17-11 01:08 AM
    I think your all rite, but at the same time, theres a company who needs to get back into the race, theve bought a brand new OS which should be theire come back, it would be wise for them.to do all testing and configurations possible to ensure that when they release the handset, its flawless as much as can be, i feel they wouldnt want to release a handset which has loads of issues to address, which will also result in them loosing more customers, im sure thats the last thing they want. So if it means releasing a handset in Q3 which has had time to be perfected then thats a good thing.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-17-11 01:09 AM
    The issue isn't the OS it's the BES/BIS. No matter what OS they use they would have to rewrite their back end network.
    OS 2.0 with BIS/BES is working and being demo'ed at BlackBerry Innovation forums. The device did not lag, stutter, etc. They are also releasing (internally) many builds a WEEK to test with their employees. Features are being added, the GUI is being updated.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-17-11 08:27 AM
    Folks I am afraid that Q1 is most certainly not going to happen. Spoke today with a friend at RIM and even RIMs own internal folks don't have a device in testing. With that it is my opinion that Q1 is out and Q2 is sketchy at best given the internal testing this device would have to go through as well as any carrier testing required before the device hits the streets...

PG
    howarmat likes this.
    11-21-11 07:52 PM
    thanks as always PG
    11-21-11 08:20 PM
    Folks I am afraid that Q1 is most certainly not going to happen. Spoke today with a friend at RIM and even RIMs own internal folks don't have a device in testing. With that it is my opinion that Q1 is out and Q2 is sketchy at best given the internal testing this device would have to go through as well as any carrier testing required before the device hits the streets...

PG
    "At this point, we want to be careful not to give up too many of our secrets and specifications of the product and delivery dates. But we're very excited, and the fact that we've already got the BBX development phones operating right now and we're testing them is a great sign." Mike Lazaridis at Q&A Q2 Earnings Conference call

PG Is it possible that for BBX phones RIM may have a diff testing team compared to their BBOS phones.Because last time BGR leak mentioned that internal team at RIM was at an advanced stage of testing BlackBerry Colt.And Lazaridis said the same thing at Q2 earnings call.

So it's possible that same team might be testing BlackBerry London? Your thoughts ...
    mithrazor likes this.
    11-29-11 11:40 PM
    Wake up, they missed the game. It's over...they make nothing but promises that they can't keep (i loved the 'summer' update i got for my playbook...jokes that got delayed until NEXT YEAR)

I live near Waterloo and know many people that work with RIM since they hire locally (expecially from the University of Waterloo). The company is a mess. Morale is so low that people can barely get out of bed let alone be efficient. There are no deadlines, the company is not integrated with itself...This is why we keep getting promises that are delayed delayed delayed. The only (ONLY) reason RIM has 'decent' earnings is because of emerging markets (which android can easily take over). I hate to say it because I love blackberries, but those two guys drove the company right in to the ground and nobody even wants to save it. The company is worth $10 bln and would have been bought out by a competitor by now if it was even worth saving. The smartest guys in the room know this company is done. Saw the iceberg too late and the ship is too big to turn
    I don't know who to believe on these forums anymore. I hear that from other members on this forum that employees from RIM are telling them, just wait what they have in store. They're excited and what not.

Sooo I guess their comments cancel out with yours. So I'm back to square one. Can't wait til BBX phones come out.
    11-30-11 12:34 PM
    I also spoke with a friend at RIM today. He has not seen any internal testing of BBX phones, and doesn't think we'll see these devices before Christmas 2012.

The good new is, he assured me that as head of the janitorial department for building 6, that all toilets are working fine, the carpets are vacuumed daily and they're trying out a new brand of soap in the executive bathrooms.
    purijagmohan and WaelIT_ like this.
    11-30-11 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD