I've searched around and can't find an answer. What does this symbol mean?

11-14-11 11:23 PM
    That symbol means your blackberry service can be use over wifi, if you turn off your mobile network. you can still send BBM..
    like the BB symbol beside the 3G logo..
    royeight and y0lorenzo like this.
    11-14-11 11:55 PM
    That symbol means your blackberry service can be use over wifi, if you turn off your mobile network. you can still send BBM..

Awesome... thanks!
    11-15-11 12:22 AM
    ur welcome
    11-15-11 11:20 PM
    I've been wondering, what is that icon to the left of wi-fi icon??
    11-29-11 11:30 PM
    Something to do with gps i think, i've seen a similar one when i take a photo and its trying to tag my photo with location!
    Last edited by Stubbo; 11-30-11 at 09:20 AM.
    11-30-11 09:08 AM
    I've been wondering, what is that icon to the left of wi-fi icon??
    That's the GPS icon on cdma phones.
    royeight likes this.
    12-04-11 06:59 AM
    All that symbol means is that the phone is properly connected to the blackberry network. It only appears while on 3G or 4G. If on edge it will disappear and just display edge in upper case letters to show its connected.
    12-04-11 07:02 AM
    Quick question, how come GSM phones don't have the E911/GPS logo?
    12-05-11 03:53 PM
    Quick question, how come GSM phones don't have the E911/GPS logo?
    GSM networks don't use GPS for determining the phone's location for e911. They triangulate using the cell sites they can see. All CDMA phones in the U.S. use GPS for this location function, not just smart phones. The GPS mechanism provides more precision. But I understand that the FCC is tightening the precision requirements for e911, which will require everyone to eventually use GPS for e911. The version of GPS used for e911 requires only that the phone be able to get timing readings from GPS satellites as directed by the network and relay that timing information back to the network, which computes the phone's location and forwards the location to the 911 center. The GPS version on phones that have location-based applications can compute the location on the phone itself and pass it on to applications.

The ')))' part of the icon being discussed means that the enhanced version of GPS is enabled on the phone. If only the circle-with-a-plus part is visible, this means that only the e911 GPS functionality is enabled (and this cannot be turned off).
    12-05-11 04:07 PM
    I think it indicates your connected to the BlackBerry network (BIS) and sits next to WiFi when you have WiFi active. It seems to access BIS through WiFi when WiFi is active. Makes sense though, your data comes through BlackBerry servers so attaching to the faster of the two networks makes perfect sense. that's my best guess anyway.
    12-05-11 05:01 PM
    it seemed kinda peculiar when i first got my 9930, i didn't have any of that with OS 5. whenever the wifi logo was white, it was implied that BIS was being accessed thru wifi
    12-05-11 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD