We have seen some photos of Mr.London (leaked BBX phone) today and it looks drop dead gorgeous, for some reason I found more positive comments from the readers on the tech sites like engadget, theverge etc than on crackberry (may be because of the lacking keyboard). But anyways here are some more good words about BBX coming from a major RIM investor.

As you most likely know, Research In Motion has had a rocky past two years. This year has been even worse for them in North America as they’re stock value has dropped below their assets worth. However, one of RIM’s leading investors believes people are going to be surprised when RIM releases BBX phones.

“People think it’s [BlackBerry] a melting ice cube,” Leon Cooperman told Bloomberg. ”We think the new operating system is going to surprise people.” Cooperman and his company Omega Advisors Inc., which bought a stake of about $28 million in RIM last quarter, has a lot at stake.

RIM has been known to show their upcoming ideas and products months in advance to key investors and corporate buyers. Perhaps Cooperman has gotten a first hand look at RIM’s upcoming phone and BBX operating system. Given what we’ve heard thus far on BBX, do you believe it is ‘going to surprise people’?
    RIM Investor says BBX Phones are ‘Going to Surprise People’ | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews
    Last edited by sf49ers; 11-14-11 at 05:28 PM.
    JPMorgan_ and curvedthumb like this.
    11-14-11 05:26 PM
    RIM must be holding out on quite a bit, from the Playbook OS. While the OS itself is awesome, iOS5, Android 4 and WP Mango are feature packed!
    11-14-11 05:39 PM
    I love the looks of the London phone, however I doubt RIM will be able to deliver it in a year from now, it will be buggy and lacking features of iPhone, Android and WMx.

Also people buy blackberries for the keyboard! Why would they buy a touch screen device that trails its competition by 3 - 4 years?
    1812dave likes this.
    11-14-11 05:55 PM
    I'm optimistic, but skeptical at the same time. I want to believe RIM will have a killer product but they have just missed so many dates and market opportunities that it's hard to buy in.

I also believe we're going to start seeing some pricing pressures as the smartphone market matures and commoditizes. The tablet market is in the midst of one now.

So RIM may have a killer product, but no one will want to pay the premium to own it.
    11-14-11 06:14 PM
    Why would they buy a touch screen device that trails its competition by 3 - 4 years?
    The device isn't even out yet. How do you know it trails the competition?
    11-14-11 06:34 PM
    Because every other RIM new product has! Duh.
    11-14-11 06:39 PM
    It kinda looks like a silver droid x... Just sayin'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 06:39 PM
    The London phone looks futuristic and cool. I currently have the Torch 9800 and PB and I would love to put my fingers on the screen

The way this phone looks you could easily put a slider in it or chop half the screen and stick-on the regular keyboard and maintain cohesion between the devices.

I think the public will be surprised. It should make it to market on-time as it's the QNX OS and they made the playbook - i.e. they already made a QNX device, the phone is another one
    11-14-11 06:42 PM
    I'll be surprised if they get it out even in Q3. Seems like RIM has had to do a lot of scuttling of projects and redo them lately.
    11-14-11 06:46 PM
    I think they might surprise us for once on the schedule. QNX should be far along with the 2.0 PB OS development, especially if the resolution is the same. This phone looks sweet.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-14-11 07:54 PM
    I'd love to be surprised on a positive note.

But, I don't expect much. The leaked pictures of this device are horrible. And... Q3? LOL that's almost a year away!

RIM... smh.

Edit: Q3... holy cow... we'll be looking at a totally different landscape then. RIM is so far behind it's not even funny. Gawd. I want to root for BlackBery... but... they are so far behind. Sad.
    Last edited by CGI; 11-14-11 at 08:17 PM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-14-11 08:15 PM
    " Cooperman and his company Omega Advisors Inc., which bought a stake of about $28 million in RIM last quarter, has a lot at stake"

So a company that bought $28 million in shares is hyping a RIM product? Is that a surprise? The phone could be a turd in disguise and these "investors" would hype it lol..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-14-11 at 10:23 PM.
    vrs626 and brucep1 like this.
    11-14-11 10:20 PM
    " Cooperman and his company Omega Advisors Inc., which bought a stake of about $28 million in RIM last quarter, has a lot at stake"

So a company that bought $28 million in shares is hyping a RIM product? Is that a surprise? The phone could be a turd in disguise and these "investors" would hype it lol..
    Leon Cooperman is a Billionaire investor and he is a respected name in the investment space and he would care less about $28 million as he is worth $1.8 billion and moreover he is an American and we can rule out the patriotic aspect, unless he is a crackberry addict like us...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_G._Cooperman
    Last edited by sf49ers; 11-15-11 at 12:29 AM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-14-11 10:34 PM

It's possible but I doubt it. Leon Cooperman has been running Omega since 1991. They guy has a solid reputation; he's not a pump and dump promoter. I've done some work raising money for his fund and when the guy talks, people listen. If he says it's good then I'd tend to believe it unless I hear otherwise.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 11-14-11 at 10:44 PM.
    sf49ers likes this.
    11-14-11 10:41 PM

He bought 28mil cuz he sees an upside. He's sayin it will surprise ppl cuz that's his opinion and that's why he invested.
    11-14-11 10:43 PM
    May also just referring to "surprise! We're only releasing it in 2013!"
    11-14-11 10:56 PM
    RIM is going to surprise people?

Is that in a good or bad way?

War Is All We Know
    11-15-11 12:30 AM

Yeah he is hyping it because he is upside down in his investment and is hoping the shares can pop so he can get out of a dying company. Everyone makes mistakes. Cooperman likely made a $28M one.

11-15-11 06:03 AM
    People will be surprised at how late they are to the market if the rumored release date is correct.
    11-15-11 06:36 AM
    I'm already surprised at RIM.

Surprised at how badly the much anticipated PlayBook launched, and at how badly their stock is doing.

So another surprise wont really surprise me!

JBenn911 likes this.
    11-15-11 07:15 AM

He bought 28mil cuz he sees an upside. He's sayin it will surprise ppl cuz that's his opinion and that's why he invested.
    Look at the double standard on here...

If someone writes a negative article, its because they shorted the stock and are trying to make money off of it.

If it's a positive article, its because then it's their honest opinion.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    11-15-11 07:23 AM

Not very different from analysts working for investors long on AAPL writing glowing reviews about Apple.. Just go to Seeking Alpha, its full of them
    11-15-11 07:35 AM
    Look at the double standard on here...

If someone writes a negative article, its because they shorted the stock and are trying to make money off of it.

If it's a positive article, its because then it's their honest opinion.
    So why not just short it? Unless he ACTUALLY sees an upside?

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but he's going with what he feels. The stock is in the sh*ts right now and market share is shrinking faster than George Costanza's d*ck after a swim in cold water. Personally I don't think BBX is going to be the game changer everyone thought it was (anywhere in the near term) but it will definitely bring some positive side to the company.
    11-15-11 07:44 AM
    So why not just short it? Unless he ACTUALLY sees an upside?
    The same reasons behind him shorting it, if he actually saw a down side. I was showcasing the disparity on these forums.
    11-15-11 07:50 AM
    ummmm...no im sorry but im not buying this anymore. he can be a respected investor but im on a strict "i'll believe it when i see it" basis with RIM and its all because i bought a $700 beta product that still doesnt have half the features promised to it. i want RIM to succeed. i think the new london BBX device looks like a great start to a new styling direction for future devices but RIM still needs to show why these devices will "leapfrog" the competition. The Playbook looked amazing on paper when it came out but yet its software still lags behind the competition.

Hopefully RIM can wow us and steal the show at CES in January. the whole "coming soon" has been played out. its time for RIM to bring it
    11-15-11 08:26 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD