Hello all! So I just picked up 9900 on Wednesday, and noticed that the bottom of the screen, and plastic piece that houses the call, menu, track pad ect aren't flush. This means that every time I use the track pad, I'm scraping the top edge of this piece. I thought this was annoying, but unavoidable. Then I tried a co workers, and she doesn't have this issue. I called Rogers, and the said to go back to the store, which I did. I opened up a new unit, and it has the same issue, although not quite as bad. So am I the only one with this problem?
    11-11-11 04:07 PM
    You're not alone.

Many have the same issue, but if it annoys you... take it back and exchange it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-11 04:29 PM
    I'm on rogers...Same issue...Also the ESCAPE key when key pad lights up i can see a paint chip on the bend arrow...Call rogers they were gonna send me a new one...Choose not to at this time...
    11-11-11 04:29 PM
    Yes, I returned one to Sprint because of this. The replacement still had it, but I put a screen protector on the screen and it is pretty flush now.
    11-11-11 04:30 PM
    I've seen ~ 50 or so of these devices and not that this is massive sample size, but every one of them had some degree of non-flushness to them. I've got one that is flush (maybe slightly sunk below the screen) but it isn't as annoying as when the panel is higher than the screen. I'd exchange it, after all its a $600 device.

Being a Rogers Mexico device my bet is it might have a slightly counterclockwise twisted trackpad too if it has a build date prior to October.
    11-11-11 04:50 PM
    I'm on rogers...Same issue...Also the ESCAPE key when key pad lights up i can see a paint chip on the bend arrow...Call rogers they were gonna send me a new one...Choose not to at this time...

It's not a paint chip. Just a poorly engineered diffuser for the illumination LED.
    rbrodeur likes this.
    11-11-11 05:42 PM
    yeah, I'm with ATT and I was finally able to get mine this past Sunday. I noticed it at first, but thought it was just me, lol. I will be going to the store this weekend and talking to them about it and hopefully exchanging it.
    11-11-11 06:07 PM
    yeah, I'm with ATT and I was finally able to get mine this past Sunday. I noticed it at first, but thought it was just me, lol. I will be going to the store this weekend and talking to them about it and hopefully exchanging it.
    If it isn't badly twisted you might want to ignore if everything else is ok with the phone...most notably the flushness of the call panel relative to the screen. Just a thought.
    11-11-11 06:14 PM
    Yes, I returned one to Sprint because of this. The replacement still had it, but I put a screen protector on the screen and it is pretty flush now.
    Well there ya go ... maybe they designed it with a screen protector in mind.
    11-11-11 06:25 PM
    Quick update. Went back to the store, opened up the only one they had left, same issue. I called Rogers again, they said they couldn't offer a replacement.

11-11-11 06:28 PM
    No, Rogers will tell you it is within spec. I had to fish through about 10 before I found a flush one. Combination of poor design and inferior implementation skews the odds on getting a good one...particularly when they've been doing trackpads for 2 years and remarkably they still haven't got them right.
    Last edited by mhw100; 11-11-11 at 09:22 PM.
    11-11-11 07:40 PM
    I have it too but I kinda like it, it let's me know where the screen ends and the trackpad starts so I don't accidentally select something on the touchscreen.

11-12-11 03:50 AM
    Upgrade your OS to .474. Should fix the issue.

I've seen this issue as well on all 3 9900's I got from TMo, 2 9900's TMo staff had purchased, 1 Verizon 9930 and finally 1 AT&T 9900 a friend picked up on Monday.

Some had screen higher than plastic bar, others had the opposite. One had screen higher on the left and bar higher on right. That was the worst in my mind.

ALL had slightly crooked trackpad.

Its clear that while RIM has made their nicest phone yet, they don't have tight tolerances for assembly.
    11-12-11 06:47 AM
    My screen is slightly lower than the keyboard. Putting a screen protector on it makes it almost perfectly flush now. I actually like it better this way. If the screen were flush, the screen protector wouls actually cause a slight ridge for my thumbs to catch on when I move from keyboard to touchpad.

11-12-11 09:30 AM
    replaced my first 9900 that had this issue
    11-12-11 10:27 AM
    same issue, but not life or death as long as the phone works great
    11-12-11 10:39 AM
    Same here. It appears they are all this way.

11-12-11 10:48 AM
    Its hard to see in this pic but you can often see a ridge where the screen meets the keyboard. As mentioned, thankfully mine isn't that bad but you can see what I mean about the crooked trackpad.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...101100121.jpg/
    Last edited by mhw100; 11-12-11 at 04:13 PM.
    11-12-11 04:03 PM
    My screen is flush to the plastic piece below, so when I have a screen protector on it has a little bit of a ridge to it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-12-11 05:01 PM
    Don't let anyone tell you that the raised. sharp egde is normal. Not on a $600 phone.
    11-12-11 05:13 PM
    Don't let anyone tell you that the raised. sharp egde is normal. Not on a $600 phone.
    100% Agreed. Although this is what RIM has now told the Canadian carriers (at least Rogers and Telus anyways) due to the large number of complaints .

I'm still torn on replacing mine for the corkscrewed trackpad but I look at it as the lesser of two evils i.e. the likelihood of getting a sharp edged unit is high at the expense of getting a straight trackpad. I've now seen about 60 of these devices (just saw 5 more today) where the trackpad is crooked and lavender. Most people though don't see it and I wish I never noticed it but as you said for $600 you tend to be a little more anal than if it is a $100 contract phone.
    11-12-11 05:46 PM
    Ha, just got my 3rd replacement and lo and behold, the trackpad is slightly twisted and this issue but I'm going to keep this as the other 2 had major problems. As long as the battery life and audio jack works on this, I'll deal with this cosmetic issue. Maybe there will be a guide to replace this later on with some spare parts. It was pretty easy changing parts on the old bold 9000.

But just another list of complaints adding up with RIM lately.
    11-12-11 07:02 PM
    Ha, just got my 3rd replacement and lo and behold, the trackpad is slightly twisted and this issue but I'm going to keep this as the other 2 had major problems. As long as the battery life and audio jack works on this, I'll deal with this cosmetic issue. Maybe there will be a guide to replace this later on with some spare parts. It was pretty easy changing parts on the old bold 9000.

But just another list of complaints adding up with RIM lately.
    If it's not too bad as mine is in the pic above then yes, its a tough decision to swap or not to swap.
    11-12-11 10:24 PM
    Just got one and it's the same.. screen is slightly higher than the keypad. kinda sharp edge. ..
    11-14-11 08:08 AM
    i had one where the keys were not flush.. but i had mine replaced for another reason..

first one was made in mexico 4..

my replacement (brand new cause mine was considered DOA) from Rogers is made in Canada 1, and it's flawless...

the screen protector actually creates an edge now
    11-14-11 08:53 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD