What are the odd that the new BBX Superphone has a Tegra 3 chip if not how soon will RIM offer it on nay of their phone?
    11-09-11 09:45 PM
    Unlikely. BBX is all about keeping things similar to the playbook. It is more likely that the processor is the OMAP 4430. It would be great if they upgraded it to the 4470. Devices will be able to use this Q2 and I don't see the device out before Blackberry World.
    11-09-11 10:13 PM
    I was kind of thinking it would have the Playbook CPU also. They are spending so much time just building the OS, I doubt they've had time to get it working on various CPU's. Just my 2 cents though. Im probably wrong.
    11-09-11 11:29 PM
    Coming from the android side, we're not expecting many tegra 3 phones at the start of the year. Suppose it's possible like anything but if they were ever going down that road they'd probably have used a tegra 2 in the PlayBook

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk
    11-10-11 09:03 AM
    I work at a company (it starts with the letter 'q') that provides chips for the new bb phones and works very closely with RIM when it comes to their QNX OS and based on the infomation/meetings I've been to, I can almost guarantee that the new super phone will a) be using this company's chipset b) will be only dual-core and c) this chip will supposedly have the best battery life compared to other mobile chips.
    11-10-11 12:42 PM
    I had mused in another thread that RIM might use the snapdragon MSM8260A, which is I guess what you are referring to. This is the CPU that window's had been pegged to use. I don't believe it has the same GPU abilities. The 4470 would still be my choice, a new tablet line on this CPU and phone would give a better volume discount and mean less development and bug fixes. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    11-10-11 02:02 PM
    I work at a company (it starts with the letter 'q') that provides chips for the new bb phones and works very closely with RIM when it comes to their QNX OS and based on the infomation/meetings I've been to, I can almost guarantee that the new super phone will a) be using this company's chipset b) will be only dual-core and c) this chip will supposedly have the best battery life compared to other mobile chips.
    It�s probably a fantastic chip but still. RIM needs that wow factor which I haven�t gotten the sense of it. Maybe it�s too early. We'll see.
    11-11-11 03:29 PM
    4470 won't be out in time. My bet would be on a 1.5GHz 4460.
    And/or what the "Q" guy above says.
    11-13-11 01:25 AM
    Really depends on when the phone is released.
    11-14-11 01:24 PM
    well, we can assume it already exists in prototype quantities.
    11-14-11 07:24 PM
    Prototypes are likely not running the 4460. If the rumours of a June release are right why go with a processor that was available 7 months earlier. They would be cheaper but, the 4470 would offer greater power efficiency over the 4460. I guess we will see.
    11-15-11 01:23 PM
    Rim is far behind on integrating the latest technology. So don't hold your breathe.
    11-27-11 03:24 PM
    Rim is far behind on integrating the latest technology. So don't hold your breathe.
    The best Android phones are Samsung's and they that company has the income and tech in various parts in the market to be competitive, especially when they don't have to build an OS!

Apple has been around just as long as Microsoft so they have had the income and as well the tech in various markets.

Blackberry has forever changed the cell phone industry which they barely get credit for and in a very small time frame have had to change the way they do business and develop new operating systems along with designing several types of phone to attract each fan base and dominate globally in the smart phone choices. (Besides US)

To me I phone looks and feels the same as it did when it first launched, sry I touch. hahaha

I own an android and so do several of my coworkers! Oh boy are they the most buggy devices ever! Yes they have sooo many sexy features but they don't work 100% of the time. Blackberry is at least releases solid functioning apps and don't have to worry about any virus along with it.
    11-29-11 12:11 AM
    If the OS is optimized properly, there's no need for some crazy battery draining quad core processor. Look at how fast the iPhone 4 is and it does that with a single core processor; the iPhone 4S "only" uses a dual core processor. That's becuase Apple can optimize iOS becuase it knows that exact hardware on each device.

Android is far from optimized becuase it appears on so many devices, is very fragmented, and manufacturers can add in their own stuff too. So for them it's simplier to just keep throwing more power at it instead of making it more efficient.
    11-29-11 07:25 AM
    If the OS is optimized properly, there's no need for some crazy battery draining quad core processor. Look at how fast the iPhone 4 is and it does that with a single core processor; the iPhone 4S "only" uses a dual core processor. That's becuase Apple can optimize iOS becuase it knows that exact hardware on each device.

Android is far from optimized becuase it appears on so many devices, is very fragmented, and manufacturers can add in their own stuff too. So for them it's simplier to just keep throwing more power at it instead of making it more efficient.
    Yeah the 4S is 800Mhz dual core. And websites are sayings it's more smoother than the 4. If BBX has 1.5Ghz dual core. That can be awesome. And just release updates to make it more smoother over time.

The Google phones are supposed to be really good. If I was to get an Android. It would be one of the Nexus's.
    11-30-11 12:40 PM
    please no tegra 3. TI OMAP are by far much better SoC. OMAP4 would be a very good candidate, and why not an OMAP5 with dual 2GHz cortex A15 +low power real-time companion cores.
    Comparing invidia Tegra chips and TI OMAP chips is just similar to comparing Apple vs. RIM. One is geek platform for kids whilst the other is very pro.
    Think that OMAP4 outperforms TEGRA2 in all domains, by a factor of 2 in some cases. Also think that a dual core 1GHz Apple A5 is close to a 1.3GHz Tegra 3 in all domains... A 1.5 GHz OMAP4470 is better than Tegra 3� Talking about 3D graphics, OMAP4470 outperforms Tegra 3 as well.
    Comparison with Apple ipad2 (A5 chip equivalent to OMAP4470 @ 1 GHz):
    AnandTech - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime & NVIDIA Tegra 3 Review

Marketing....can make beleive a bullsheet is gold...the problem is that most people beleive marketing because of a lack of expertise.
    Last edited by xnwrx; 12-01-11 at 04:27 PM.
    12-01-11 04:10 PM
    The fact is you are wrong.
    Tegra 2 = omap 4430
    Tegra 3 is 80% better than both.
    A5 = T3 in gaming only.

Omap does use 40% less power though so if you OC'ed a omap 4470 to 2.5GHZ it would use the same amount of power as a tegra 3 or A5 and offer the same performance.

Basically the Ipad 2 is worth less than 450 if the prime is 499, and our playbooks were still reasonably priced. Except we don't have iOS or android 3.2 so some of us are pissed
    12-07-11 10:47 AM
    I disagree. Tegra 3 still uses single channel LPDDR (32 bits) and still provides a single 1 MB of L2 cache despit its quad cores architecture. SGX443 GPU in OMAP4470 is close to Tegra 3 GPU because of the frequency used. SGX443 MP GPU outperforms tegra3 GPU. So wait for OMAP 5 next year ;-)
    12-12-11 02:38 AM
    4470 won't be out in time. My bet would be on a 1.5GHz 4460.
    And/or what the "Q" guy above says.
    Hopefully TI will have their stuff together and be able to have enough of those chips for RIM since they had to cancel many of their orders of those chips because they couldn't get them clocked to 1.5ghz and stable like they are supposed to be.
    01-20-12 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD