I was running the .5xx version and it leaked pretty bad. I goofed and installed that vs the nwesst .668.

Last night, I installed .668. I used BB Boss to shrink it first; down to 77 megs. I had roughly 40 megs free following the install.. I did a battery pull or two just to be safe; still at 40 megs or so free This AM, I'm sitting at 29.8megs free. Any idea what is causing the leak? It's not as bad as before, but it's still a little agrivating.
    11-09-11 07:07 AM
    .. few hours after install you'll loose a bit of free space because the OS is settling down.. e.g. loading BBM pictures..

.. the leak which some people are hot about is after the OS settling down stage.. it happens because the memory is used to run apps.. e.g. if you open pictures it will show a big leak and it will return after a reboot.. actually you're not losing memory, it's just being borrowed to run apps.. sort of.. some apps offer to recover memory (hourly or whatever timing you set it to) but those apps rarely function as we hope it would.. it will recover some but not all because the memory/free space is being borrowed..

.. in shrinking, I could free up to 130 MB in my 9700 (taking out most of the apps I don't use) but after installing other apps which I like and restoring contacts, BBM and stuff, and let the OS settle down I would get like 105 MB remaining.. (tends to get lower with the latest OS because the SFI file gets bigger in size..) .. After running few apps it will drop and stay stable at 70-80 MB free..
    11-09-11 09:54 AM
    .. few hours after install you'll loose a bit of free space because the OS is settling down.. e.g. loading BBM pictures..

.. the leak which some people are hot about is after the OS settling down stage.. it happens because the memory is used to run apps.. e.g. if you open pictures it will show a big leak and it will return after a reboot.. actually you're not losing memory, it's just being borrowed to run apps.. sort of.. some apps offer to recover memory (hourly or whatever timing you set it to) but those apps rarely function as we hope it would.. it will recover some but not all because the memory/free space is being borrowed..

.. in shrinking, I could free up to 130 MB in my 9700 (taking out most of the apps I don't use) but after installing other apps which I like and restoring contacts, BBM and stuff, and let the OS settle down I would get like 105 MB remaining.. (tends to get lower with the latest OS because the SFI file gets bigger in size..) .. After running few apps it will drop and stay stable at 70-80 MB free..
    Yep, mine is running in a similar way now but stabilizes at around 93 mb. I don't use BBM and shrank it out as well.
    11-09-11 11:55 AM
    I've lost roughly 4 megs since creating this thread 4 hours ago.
    11-09-11 12:03 PM
    Clear the browser cache, clean out any already read old e-mails, connect it to desktop manager and delete the Content Store, Trusted Key Store, Purged Messages, Searches, Recent Contacts (it doesn't affect your address book). Then you'll have more space. Also clear out any old SMS.

PS. Did you remove all the fonts BB Boss allows you to check for removal? They aren't needed, since the core OS has 12 already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 07:09 PM
    I have a 9780 running 6.0.0.668, wish there was a downgrade to OS 5 for this phone, I HATE OS 6
    11-09-11 08:05 PM
    I have a 9780 running 6.0.0.668, wish there was a downgrade to OS 5 for this phone, I HATE OS 6
    Yea u can downgrade.... Just download OS5 and use applloader to load it to ur phone.

11-09-11 08:40 PM
    Yea u can downgrade.... Just download OS5 and use applloader to load it to ur phone.

The 9780 will not run on OS5.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-09-11 08:44 PM
    Clear the browser cache, clean out any already read old e-mails, connect it to desktop manager and delete the Content Store, Trusted Key Store, Purged Messages, Searches, Recent Contacts (it doesn't affect your address book). Then you'll have more space. Also clear out any old SMS.

PS. Did you remove all the fonts BB Boss allows you to check for removal? They aren't needed, since the core OS has 12 already.

I would be OK with the amount of memory I had right after the install. I could even live with 30 megs free; that's a nice cushion and I understand 6.0 wasn't exactly designed to run on the 9700.

This AM I'm down to 16.2 megs. I have no idea what's causing the leak. If it drops down to 10, I know things will get a little flakey on the phone.

I know a battery pull will clear it, but I listen to a lot of podcasts and that becomes a PITA because I listen to them in the car, pause them, then pick up later.

I'll give this another day or so and see where it settles out at. Worse case, I go back to 5.0. That was pretty leak free for me.
    11-10-11 09:29 AM
    This is getting worse. I did a battery pull last night. Had around 28megs free. Honestly, that's just fine for what I use teh phone for. Here we are, maybe 14 hours later...I'm down to 6 megs. What the heck is causing this?
    04-10-12 09:45 AM
    .668 has been the right choice of OS6 for my 9700 for months. its stable but yes memory leaks are still there and what may cause it is definitely the use of applications. so u might wanna check and see what are the apps u have installed on the phone and try to detect which one in particular thats causing the leak and uninstall that apps.
    or, try to re-install the OS all over again. be sure to back up using the DM and run BB Boss to WIPE and get rid as much of the cod files as you can that u dont need (languages, fonts, media samples, games, etc). then install using app loader

ps: as much as i love .668, i found that 'page too large to load' on the browser does still persist
    04-10-12 03:35 PM
    .668 has been the right choice of OS6 for my 9700 for months. its stable but yes memory leaks are still there and what may cause it is definitely the use of applications. so u might wanna check and see what are the apps u have installed on the phone and try to detect which one in particular thats causing the leak and uninstall that apps.
    or, try to re-install the OS all over again. be sure to back up using the DM and run BB Boss to WIPE and get rid as much of the cod files as you can that u dont need (languages, fonts, media samples, games, etc). then install using app loader

ps: as much as i love .668, i found that 'page too large to load' on the browser does still persist
    It still persists due to the device only having 256MB RAM. The 9780 and newer devices don't have that issue.

This is getting worse. I did a battery pull last night. Had around 28megs free. Honestly, that's just fine for what I use teh phone for. Here we are, maybe 14 hours later...I'm down to 6 megs. What the heck is causing this?
    You need to shrink out anything you don't need, use BB Boss.
    04-10-12 03:58 PM
    I did use BB Boss before upgrading. I shrunk out the bloatware, languages and apps that I don't use. I don't mind the amount of free memory I have...it's the constant leaking and clock spinning that's annoying.
    04-11-12 07:17 AM
    That OS is . Downgrade it. Simples.
    04-11-12 07:34 AM
    I'm thinking of doing it. I really like the look and feel of 6, but the leaks are starting to outweight all of that.

Any troubles with downgrading back to 5? I've seen a few threads that indicate it's not always smooth. That's why I've held off for now.
    04-11-12 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD