I'm not sure how to connect to motel wifi. When I turn wifi on, it finds the correct network. Then asks, "Do you want to login to the following hotspot?" <NAME>. If I choose OK, the Browser opens with error, "Couldn't resolve host name." If I choose 'Cancel', then open Browser manually and try to go to a webpage, I get the same error message. How can I force it to ask me for the motel username and password for their FREE wifi connection?
    11-08-11 10:21 PM
    Call the front desk for the log on ID to the wifi.
    11-08-11 10:24 PM
    Have you tried manually connecting? This would allow you to enter in the information you're referring to before it even tries connecting. Should be an option for "manually connect".
    11-08-11 10:26 PM
    Couldn't resolve host name makes it sound like the web page isn't available to log on - call the front desk and b*tch lol

Is it a reputable hotel or.... a notel?
    11-08-11 10:28 PM
    They gave me the username and password. I just can't seem to get to the typical motel login screen. And, to connect manually, I need to know the SSID. I've connected before at a different motel, but there the PB somehow magically went to the motel login screen.
    11-08-11 10:30 PM
    It's a very nice Holiday Inn Express! It says I'm connected to their wifi, but the Browser is useless until I enter the username and password just like I do from the Browser on my laptop.
    Last edited by michaelyoder; 11-08-11 at 10:37 PM.
    11-08-11 10:31 PM
    Try typing in the hotel name in your browser. this should take you to the page of the hotel then follow the directions using the log in information from the desk. Example: holiday inn.com or hilton, etc. Good luck....
    11-08-11 10:40 PM
    Usually at a hotel you connect to the wifi, open up the browser, click on any favorite and it should bring you to the hotel login page, regardless of what page you clicked on... what i do sometimes is just click on the empty address bar and hit enter, then the login page should show. Hope this helps.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-08-11 10:49 PM
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I've tried everyone with no success. Now I will try calling their internet people; can't possibly imagine they'll be able to help with a Playbook!
    11-08-11 11:02 PM
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I've tried everyone with no success. Now I will try calling their internet people; can't possibly imagine they'll be able to help with a Playbook!
    Have you tried to connect to their wifi with your phone? If that works, then it's the PB causing the problems maybe.
    11-08-11 11:06 PM
    maybe cycle power to your PB and try once more before you call. When you look at your wifi do you see any other hot spots or close hotels with locks on them. if so your hotel should be listed to click on for connection then try the above suggestions to get on...
    11-08-11 11:10 PM
    I have Restarted my PB and tried again; this motel is the only one within my WiFi range. My WiFi at home was working just fine before I left home which makes me doubtful that it's the fault of my device.
    11-08-11 11:29 PM
    Have you tried to connect to their wifi with your phone? If that works, then it's the PB causing the problems maybe.
    WiFi on Bold 9650 does work!
    11-08-11 11:37 PM
    Check your Browser options/settings: Private browsing, java, flash, etc.
    11-08-11 11:54 PM
    Check your Browser options/settings: Private browsing, java, flash, etc.
    Oh Yea.. The private browsing thingie.... I had to turn mine off cause it stopped the page to load. Thanks F2 !
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    11-09-11 12:07 AM
    Oh Yea.. The private browsing thingie.... I had to turn mine off cause it stopped the page to load. Thanks F2 !
    Private browsing is turned off and Load Images, Enable Flash, and Enable JavaScript are all three turned on. I just now tried it with Block Pop-ups turned off to, and still no success!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 05:53 AM
    Have you tried deleting saved hotspots or this one as I think it saves them automatically? Then reboot and try again.
    11-09-11 07:51 AM
    WiFi on Bold 9650 does work!
    So, don't bother
    Just disable the wifi on the PB, open the regular browser and ... enjoy !
    The bridge (is it set ?) will take benefit of your Phone connected to the wifi.
    Even more, if they charge for wifi, you'll have only 1 bill ;-)
    michaelyoder likes this.
    11-09-11 08:18 AM
    I had the same issue the other day at a hotel and I had to allow popups for it to come up with the wi-fi login page. Good luck!
    11-09-11 08:37 PM
    Let us know if you figure this out, I'm interested to see what the solution is. Might need it the next time I stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Does anyone know if while bridging to your BB, will your playbook run off the wifi connection that your phone is connected to or does it only use the cellular service?
    11-09-11 11:25 PM
    Let us know if you figure this out, I'm interested to see what the solution is. Might need it the next time I stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Does anyone know if while bridging to your BB, will your playbook run off the wifi connection that your phone is connected to or does it only use the cellular service?
    I think it can work that way but you can also test it yourself. Turn off wifi on pb and turn off 3g (leave on phone wifi) on the phone and see what happens.
    11-10-11 12:21 AM
    I think it can work that way but you can also test it yourself. Turn off wifi on pb and turn off 3g (leave on phone wifi) on the phone and see what happens.
    Yes it works.
    I just tried it with wifi on the PB turned off, and mobile network turned off on my phone.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-10-11 01:22 AM
    If, afterall all those suggestions and your PlayBook still cannot connect to motel wifi... try to change motel...
    11-10-11 01:39 AM
    I had the same problem this summer at the Fairmont in Vancouver. Just could not log into the WiFi no matter what I tried. Talked to their tech ppl and they had no idea what a Playbook was. They use some third party for internet and they had a very strange log in page that I could sometimes see and sometimes not see, when I could see it I could log in. But the next time I'd try same issue. I finally just went and used the Business Centre. Not had this problem anywhere else.
    11-10-11 11:09 AM
    So, don't bother
    Just disable the wifi on the PB, open the regular browser and ... enjoy !
    The bridge (is it set ?) will take benefit of your Phone connected to the wifi.
    Even more, if they charge for wifi, you'll have only 1 bill ;-)
    That's a great suggestion that I hadn't thought about! Are you a genius? I called their internet tech support people but seriously doubt that I'll ever here from them. I usually stay at a different HIE near the same area, but they were sold out. The last time I was there, I got the PlayBook to connect after messing around with it for a while. Next time I go there if I can find something helpful, I'll update this thread. Thanks to all for your interest and input!
    11-10-11 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD