Interestingly, I've not seen any reviews on the Bold 9900 vs. iPhone 4S.

I saw one that seems unbiased by a guy that has used both. I though it may help some people so here it is.

There has been a bit of tension between some of the members of CrackBerry down on BlackBerry and counter attacks on iPhone so this post is going to just start by saying that if you are happy with your phone then you have the right one for you. I don't think there is one that is better for everyone and it comes down to what you want to do with your phone.

The reviewer did mention the iPhone app advantage and clearly there is one. I would add that Apple has restricted the store and buy button on the Kindle, Google Books, Audible.com apps so it makes it more cumbersome to use them. However, BlackBerry is always late to the apps party and they've yet to update them for the Bold (at least the Bold 9930). I think this is valid and relevant information that is not mentioned. So with Apple you could buy from their iBooks or iTunes or from kindle via web, and then read or listen via the app. With BlackBerry you will need to wait a bit and they should be fully functional when launched as with previous BBs.

There was also no mention of Siri, which I think was interesting. Although in Beta, it has great potential. Also, relevant is that BlackBerry is giving away 100 bucks in free apps by December and one if them is Vlingo. Kinda similar and both will improve but that is also something I would like to know before buying. I've switched from Driversafe.ly to Vlingo myself because of what I believe is additional functionality.

Both are very nice devices and both have improved from the previous versions. I have a Bold, my wife has a droid and my lawyer buddy has an iPhone and we are all still friends. Hopefully this is useful and not too biased.

Happy informed shopping.

If you are happy with your phone, then you have the right one for you.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-07-11 at 11:14 AM.
    alex_121 and donnyphone like this.
    11-07-11 10:52 AM
    I would go with the iPhone4S over the blackberry... RIM may not be around much longer
    adamkesher and Speczorz like this.
    11-07-11 11:22 AM
    I would go with the iPhone4S over the blackberry... RIM may not be around much longer
    as a blackberry user, i too have to sadly agree with this statement
    11-07-11 11:25 AM
    Dear Chenzo76,
    I happen to know that is not true, and it is not an opinion but basic math. Last year they had 50 million users and this year they have 70 million. They have a ton of cash, a very positive cash flow,a roadmap to resume growth in the U.S. Even if U.S. growth does not resume, they will always have a presence here due to their security and their explosive overseas growth will continue because there are several distortions that don't happen overseas. They are number one in Great Britain, Brazil and India. Places in the world that are doing well.

What is your point?

Do you even have a BlackBerry? I see your previous post:
    "Since Os5 and ICloud came out I have had nothing but problems myself...."

Maybe better, how about some facts to back up your statement.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-07-11 at 11:35 AM.
    11-07-11 11:31 AM
    My preference is the Blackberry, but my brother has an iPhone and wouldn't change it to anything else for a thousand bucks. Like the quote above says:

"Since Os5 and ICloud came out I have had nothing but problems myself...." I think any device is going to have its share of issues. Just get what you like.
    JR A likes this.
    11-07-11 11:46 AM
    I'd stick with Blackberry.
    RIM's not going anywhere.

I don't mind if reviews favor one device over the other. I do mind if they purposely omit facts and draw conclusions that are more founded on their bias then the devices actual merits.

None of that here, so review is pretty good.
    JR A likes this.
    11-07-11 12:27 PM
    I just went from a 9930 to the iPhone 4S (for the time being).

There are plenty of things I miss about the BB. First and most importantly, everything gets done quicker on the BB. Most important things can be done with 1 or 2 steps on a BB, especially if you have quicklaunch. I find that very few things on the iPhone are integrated system wide. If you are in an app, you have to close it to do anything else. Also, little things like being in the picture app and posting a picture on facebook requires about 4 or 5 steps where on the BB it can be done in 1 step. Another example is when you are texting someone and you want to call them, you have to close the message app and go to the phone app to make the phone call. On the BB you just have to press the "talk" key to start a phone call.

Obviously there are a ton of things the iPhone does better, but most of them are app store related. I more than ever stand by my opinion that the iPhone is great because of the App Store. Take that away the OS is almost horrible.
    11-07-11 12:37 PM
    Blackberry isnt going away people.
    11-07-11 01:06 PM
    I have a 9900 and I just put some music on it. This impressed me so for �30 I have ordered a 32GB micro SD card and will put all my iTunes library on there.

That's great value compared with paying extra for a 32GB iPhone over the 16GB one.

It may be a small point for some, but Blackberry offers good value for money.
    Last edited by Pilchard; 11-09-11 at 05:42 AM. Reason: removed footer
    11-07-11 01:44 PM
    Pilchard,

I have some music from iTunes but I've also really enjoyed 7digital. I believe it is a UK company. Everything gets stored in the cloud but you can download it to four different devices (any devices) and the UI on BlackBerry is fantastic.
    Pilchard likes this.
    11-07-11 03:50 PM
    Come on, for those who think RIM is going - wake up. RIM is growing! Just because they are no longer #1 in the USA does that really matter for a global brand? And in honesty, is the US that important in the bigger picture for smartphones?

I'm sticking with RIM. And yes, I am going to buy a Bold 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-11 04:41 PM
    I have switched from my 9930 to Iphone 4s and like all, I am missing the little things Blackberry does that makes it easier to navigate the phone. The os on the Iphone is better than the 9930 along with just about everything else.

I am staying with my Iphone to get practice on the touchscreen because when the BBX comes out, I will be the first to order it. Just the thought of a blackberry with a browser as good or better than the Iphone with all the things I miss from my 9930 is keeping me excited.
    11-07-11 05:35 PM
    Dear Chenzo76,
    I happen to know that is not true, and it is not an opinion but basic math. Last year they had 50 million users and this year they have 70 million. They have a ton of cash, a very positive cash flow,a roadmap to resume growth in the U.S. Even if U.S. growth does not resume, they will always have a presence here due to their security and their explosive overseas growth will continue because there are several distortions that don't happen overseas. They are number one in Great Britain, Brazil and India. Places in the world that are doing well.

What is your point?

Do you even have a BlackBerry? I see your previous post:
    "Since Os5 and ICloud came out I have had nothing but problems myself...."

Maybe better, how about some facts to back up your statement.
    Nice !

11-08-11 05:40 AM
    I don't think RIM is doomed to fail any time soon. I hope they will put out innovative products that people will want to buy. I'm using the iPhone 4S and compared to my Bold 9780 it is much quicker and generally has more to offer. However, BlackBerry has it's advantages, like push email and sound profiles that I miss. I caution anyone to make sweeping statements like "RIM won't be around much longer" without concrete proof.
    11-08-11 05:48 AM
    I don't think RIM is doomed to fail any time soon. I hope they will put out innovative products that people will want to buy. I'm using the iPhone 4S and compared to my Bold 9780 it is much quicker and generally has more to offer. However, BlackBerry has it's advantages, like push email and sound profiles that I miss. I caution anyone to make sweeping statements like "RIM won't be around much longer" without concrete proof.
    Compared with the 9780 sure it's faster, compared to the 9900, I don't think so, not by much anyway.

11-08-11 06:17 AM
    Only Blackberry I've owned is the Curse 8530, but I have played with the 9900 a few times. Definitely a step up, but still seems like comparing VHS to Blu-Ray vs. the iPhone 4S.
    11-08-11 06:42 AM
    Personally, I would never buy the 9900. You know that when bbx comes out that the 9900 won't be able to update to the new software. In as little as 7 or 8 months you could be using software a generation old. In a 2 year contract, that's not worth it to me.

I chose an iphone 4 at the beginning of the year as my personal device and I still think that has more functionality than the 9900 (for me at least). I get so many more things done in less time than I did on my Blackberry. As a bonus, I got the new OS 5.0 when it came out. And I'm sure that os 6.0 will be supported by my ip4. Needless to say, I liked Apple's software and continued support better than Blackberry.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    11-08-11 08:20 AM
    Only Blackberry I've owned is the Curse 8530, but I have played with the 9900 a few times. Definitely a step up, but still seems like comparing VHS to Blu-Ray vs. the iPhone 4S.
    I would say DVD against blu-ray...VHS is a bit harsh on the 9900 overall the UI is flui and solid. To me, it is only the apps, and now that RIM realized it, I am sure they will have enough good apps soon enough
    11-08-11 08:26 AM
    I personally wouldn't get a 9900 knowing that come 1st quarter 2012, there will be a newer, better, OS that my phone that is less than a year old, wouldn't be able to upgrade too. That's what, about 4 months away?

That would just Annoy me. Especially if I were to get it on a contract.

"War Is All We Know"
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 11-08-11 at 11:49 AM.
    11-08-11 11:47 AM
    I personally wouldn't get a 9900 knowing that come 1st quarter 2012, there will be a newer, better, OS that my phone that is less than a year old, wouldn't be able to upgrade too. That's what, about 4 months away?

That would just Annoy me. Especially if I were to get it on a contract.
    How do you know that "there will be a newer, better, OS that my phone that is less than a year old, wouldn't be able to upgrade too"?
    11-08-11 11:51 AM
    How do you know that "there will be a newer, better, OS that my phone that is less than a year old, wouldn't be able to upgrade too"?
    Ok, supposedly better.

"War Is All We Know"
    11-08-11 11:52 AM
    I have switched from my 9930 to Iphone 4s and like all, I am missing the little things Blackberry does that makes it easier to navigate the phone. The os on the Iphone is better than the 9930 along with just about everything else.

I am staying with my Iphone to get practice on the touchscreen because when the BBX comes out, I will be the first to order it. Just the thought of a blackberry with a browser as good or better than the Iphone with all the things I miss from my 9930 is keeping me excited.
    To me the Browser speed is almost a wash.
    11-08-11 11:52 AM
    To me the Browser speed is almost a wash.
    As I've said before, I'm a long time BB owner that is giving the 4S a test drive. The browser on the 4S is good, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. First of all, when I open up a few tabs, when I go back to another tab it has to reload the page. Also, when reading these forums, I can't double tap the text and make it bigger and word wrap it (the Torch browser doesn't have column view, but it does have some form of it). It's a major bummer not having that feature on the iPhone. And lastly, while on 3g, the iPhone takes MUCH longer to load webpages than my 9930 did (on Verizon). I don't know if it has something to do with BB's data compression, but for some reason my iPhone is terrible unless it's connected to WiFi (and then it blows the 9930 away).

All that being said, the iPhone browser is overall a slightly better browser. The BB browser has definitely caught up though.
    11-08-11 12:07 PM
    As I've said before, I'm a long time BB owner that is giving the 4S a test drive. The browser on the 4S is good, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. First of all, when I open up a few tabs, when I go back to another tab it has to reload the page. Also, when reading these forums, I can't double tap the text and make it bigger and word wrap it (the Torch browser doesn't have column view, but it does have some form of it). It's a major bummer not having that feature on the iPhone. And lastly, while on 3g, the iPhone takes MUCH longer to load webpages than my 9930 did (on Verizon). I don't know if it has something to do with BB's data compression, but for some reason my iPhone is terrible unless it's connected to WiFi (and then it blows the 9930 away).

All that being said, the iPhone browser is overall a slightly better browser. The BB browser has definitely caught up though.
    Its nice to hear a honest review.. I think people cant use the Browser issue anymore to bash BB. It has caught up and the shortcut keys makes it easier to get things done efficently.
    11-08-11 12:15 PM
    I just got the bold 9900 this past Sunday and have also been using iPhone 4 since last December. I send a lot of texts every day and the keyboard on the 9900 is really amazing. Typing on the iPhone is nice, too me maybe the best non-querty I have used but still no comparison to the 9900.

I still use my iPhone for most of my media based stuff but for communication I am always using my 9900 (or whatever model blackberry I was carrying at the time). They both good phones and I am really loving the 9900 (No problems so far)
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    11-08-11 05:23 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD