I just wanted to point out that i think that it is absolutely ridiculous that people are rating apps in a negative way because they do not run on the 2.0 beta. I noticed this today. People need to grow the **** up and RIM needs to delete those ridiculous ratings.
    Thebigo3d likes this.
    11-05-11 07:57 PM
    yes and no. some apps do not mention at the outset that they are not compatible,yet, with OS2.0..... so obviously people who pay and buy them are pissed more so because the developers do not address the problem and its not easy to refund the money.
    Some app developers are deleting negative comments, and that has fooled people into buying crap apps.... not good.
    So, in some ways its good to have the feedback the way they are submitted,it would be better if instructions on system requirements for customers be clearly mentioned so people dont buy the wrong apps.

RIM has other important things to address than deal with this issue.
    elle-ade likes this.
    11-05-11 08:05 PM
    I just wanted to point out that i think that it is absolutely ridiculous that people are rating apps in a negative way because they do not run on the 2.0 beta. I noticed this today. People need to grow the **** up and RIM needs to delete those ridiculous ratings.
    The age/sex/location/PIN ones don't **** you more than silly ratings ?
    11-05-11 08:12 PM
    OS2 does not officially exist. Developers have no obligation to mention it in their apps' descriptions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-11 08:34 PM
    What TheSuperSloth says above... and, moreover, the purpose of the 2.0 beta is for us developers to test our apps and find any problems they may have on 2.0 before the bulk of the users are installing 2.0.

I can certainly say that if someone gives me a bad rating because the tick labels on my graphs are screwed up on the 2.0 beta, that review is going straight into the bit bucket... They are screwed up, and I'm aware of it, and I'm working on figuring out what the problem is, and how it can be fixed.

It's a beta, folks... if an app has problems on 2.0, please report it to the developer using the support email address listed for that app in App World.
    11-05-11 08:48 PM
    OS2 does not officially exist. Developers have no obligation to mention it in their apps' descriptions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yes, true... but since some do mention it in their apps it just tilts the equation of customers buying the apps that do not mention it towards more negativity about the app, while in reality the app maybe outright awesome.

Remember the saying ...the customer is always right.....now we all wish these customers were a bit smarter too
    11-05-11 09:02 PM
    What amazes me is that people think that their .99 gives them the right to *****, destroy a developers rep and sales over something silly, and that they would even bother wanting their money back

Just my .02 cents.
    avt123 and npunk42 like this.
    11-05-11 09:26 PM
    I consider my self one who in terms of software always likes to have the latest and greatest.... this doesn't mean I will install beta software on any of my devices.

OS 2.0 is a developers' beta. Forget about the "beta" part and focus only on "developer's".
    This OS should not be used from anyone else except developers.
    I don't think a developer who took this version installs other applications.

I know there are people who are eager to get their hands on OS 2, but there will be an open beta before the official release.

Till then, comments related to an app not working on OS 2.0, should be deleted.
    As TheSuperSloth said: "OS2 does not officially exist" ... so does the comments related to it.
    11-05-11 09:30 PM
    OS 2.0 is a developers' beta. Forget about the "beta" part and focus only on "developer's". This OS should not be used from anyone else except developers.
    I disagree with "only for developers." While users will likely face issues when playbooking on the bleeding edge, let them bleed! I bought my PB on Day 2 and have been patiently waiting for decent apps. In particular, I needed a mind mapping program on my PB to sync with my PC. There are four programs in App World (2 mind maps and 2 idea programs), and none are decent. I contacted the iThoughts (iOS program) developer about porting to QNX -- no go, "maybe Android" he said, but nothing was in the works. I then found Thinking Space on Android Market during my brief flirt with Android during OS 1.7. I jumped on the opportunity to have Android again with the 2.0 Beta just so I could have access to this one program. A week later, I have no regrets and I'm now having fun with Google Sky Map, Scanner Radio, IMDb, etc. on Android as well.

Having said all that, it is not fair to complain in the review section of App World if an app doesn't work properly in the OS 2 Beta (although, it is fair to make a note about the fact).
    11-05-11 10:20 PM
    I disagree with "only for developers." While users will likely face issues when playbooking on the bleeding edge, let them bleed! I bought my PB on Day 2 and have been patiently waiting for decent apps. In particular, I needed a mind mapping program on my PB to sync with my PC. There are four programs in App World (2 mind maps and 2 idea programs), and none are decent. I contacted the iThoughts (iOS program) developer about porting to QNX -- no go, "maybe Android" he said, but nothing was in the works. I then found Thinking Space on Android Market during my brief flirt with Android during OS 1.7. I jumped on the opportunity to have Android again with the 2.0 Beta just so I could have access to this one program. A week later, I have no regrets and I'm now having fun with Google Sky Map, Scanner Radio, IMDb, etc. on Android as well.

Having said all that, it is not fair to complain in the review section of App World if an app doesn't work properly in the OS 2 Beta (although, it is fair to make a note about the fact).
    Uhh, thats disagreeing strictly from your point of view, not from the fact that the beta was for developers. It doesn't matter how you see it, reality is, its a developer's beta, it doesn't exist in the user world, it was not released so users could play around with it.
    Any complaints, troubleshooting, bug crashes, are on the users, neither RIM nor app developers need to take responsibility for that, much less receive bad reviews from randoms that decided to install OS 2.0 when it was not intended for them to install it, specially when they have 0 capability of resolving issues...
    avt123, batboris, Hgouck and 3 others like this.
    11-05-11 10:33 PM
    The age/sex/location/PIN ones don't **** you more than silly ratings ?
    I see 5 to 10 of these for every 1 review of the app... I strongly agree that this should be more of a priority than OS 2.0 reviews.
    11-06-11 12:05 AM
    Uhh, thats disagreeing strictly from your point of view, not from the fact that the beta was for developers. It doesn't matter how you see it, reality is, its a developer's beta, it doesn't exist in the user world, it was not released so users could play around with it.
    Any complaints, troubleshooting, bug crashes, are on the users, neither RIM nor app developers need to take responsibility for that, much less receive bad reviews from randoms that decided to install OS 2.0 when it was not intended for them to install it, specially when they have 0 capability of resolving issues...
    No. The beta does exist in the user world. It's there for anyone who cares to install it.
    Yes. The user wears it if he or she encounters a problem.

Why not leave a comment in App World stating an app doesn't work with the OS2 beta? (As long as there is no whining involved!) Leaving a comment prompts the developer that changes are needed in advance of Feb 2012 and stops early OS2 adopters (developers and users) from downloading the app.
    11-06-11 12:13 AM
    No. The beta does exist in the user world. It's there for anyone who cares to install it.
    Yes. The user wears it if he or she encounters a problem.

Why not leave a comment in App World stating an app doesn't work with the OS2 beta? (As long as there is no whining involved!) Leaving a comment prompts the developer that changes are needed in advance of Feb 2012 and stops early OS2 adopters (developers and users) from downloading the app.

Please note that this build is strictly designed for developers and is NOT a build designed for consumer use, since some apps built for BlackBerry PlayBook OS v.1.0.7 may not work correctly.

Hmm? Just because you can install it doesn't mean its for the consumer... There is your warning by RIM, they didn't read it? nobodys fault, nobody told them to install it if they are not developers. And if no beta testing, which includes debugging and bug reporting, is going to be done while using it, then, dont install it, because its not for them. Easy... not a user's build.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-06-11 at 01:21 AM.
    11-06-11 01:13 AM
    Slightly offtopic: I think its ridiculous that some apps I have bought had high ratings (and praise in reviews) but deserved much much less. Lesson: ratings aren't ever going to be accurate.
    11-06-11 01:46 AM
    Slightly offtopic: I think its ridiculous that some apps I have bought had high ratings (and praise in reviews) but deserved much much less. Lesson: ratings aren't ever going to be accurate.
    It is all statistics...

1 review - might be completely wrong
    10 reviews - might still be wrong
    100 review - getting close to the truth
    1000 ....
    10000 ...
    at this point a false review doesn't really matter

In addition, the fact that you (or someone in general) has issues with an app, doesn't mean the app is not good. If 10000 ppl say it is a 5 star, maybe the problem is with the user who has issues and not with the app itself.
    11-06-11 01:55 AM
    It is all statistics...

1 review - might be completely wrong
    10 reviews - might still be wrong
    100 review - getting close to the truth
    1000 ....
    10000 ...
    at this point a false review doesn't really matter

In addition, the fact that you (or someone in general) has issues with an app, doesn't mean the app is not good. If 10000 ppl say it is a 5 star, maybe the problem is with the user who has issues and not with the app itself.
    Reviewing an app is not a scientific experiment where more tests reduces error.

I've gotten an app that had a 4+ star rating that ended up running like it was a ported flash app from 10+ years ago. Was a big waste of money. The masses are easily impressed with mediocrity. Some apps have gotten high reviews merely because they function, not because they're 5 star worthy. Most people seem to fail to understand how a 1-5 star rating system should function. And on that basis you'll get a wider range of responses.

If RIM provided some kind've guideline... for example - 3 stars = merely functions as promised, 4 stars = functions as promised and functions well, 5 stars = would be hard to improve on functionality, then I would say yes, 10000 reviews are probably an accurate depiction.

Furthermore, it would've been beneficial to be able to rate on functionality, innovation, presentation... etc, all separately rather than 1 overall rating and a short review.
    11-06-11 01:04 AM
    The rating system and BlackBerry App World in general are severely broken at this point. An overhaul is needed with moderation of the reviews. Anyone posting sex ads in the reviews should be permanently banned from BlckBerry App World using their PIN as the sole identifier. I favour a mechanism that causes the device used to the sex ads to explode in the hands or face of the person posting the "review." Besides keeping the litigation lawyers at Research In Motion it would cull the gene pool of "certain persons of certain social dispositions whom engage in certain acts."
    diegonei likes this.
    11-06-11 01:23 AM
    Reviewing an app is not a scientific experiment where more tests reduces error.

I've gotten an app that had a 4+ star rating that ended up running like it was a ported flash app from 10+ years ago. Was a big waste of money. The masses are easily impressed with mediocrity. Some apps have gotten high reviews merely because they function, not because they're 5 star worthy. Most people seem to fail to understand how a 1-5 star rating system should function. And on that basis you'll get a wider range of responses.

If RIM provided some kind've guideline... for example - 3 stars = merely functions as promised, 4 stars = functions as promised and functions well, 5 stars = would be hard to improve on functionality, then I would say yes, 10000 reviews are probably an accurate depiction.

Furthermore, it would've been beneficial to be able to rate on functionality, innovation, presentation... etc, all separately rather than 1 overall rating and a short review.
    Well, it is not an experiment ... it is just that everything can be explained with math
    Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you ... but ... don't forget the human factor. No matter how RIM explains the rating process, there will always be people who will not go by the rules (will give 5 stars just because they are happy with the purchase OR will give one star just because an app is not working on their OS 2.0 dev's beta).
    It will be great if none of us has to spend time investigating the ratings .. but I don't see it happen.
    When I want to get a commercial app - I do investigate even for 1.99 worth. It is an investment and as such one has to spend some time reading. After all, the rich people got rich not because they spend money, but because they do clever investments (at least most of them do)

Now, let's go back to the topic, shall we?
    11-06-11 01:29 AM
    Why doesn't RIM block OS 2.0 from end users until it is launched? Only allow DEV access until then.
    11-06-11 05:31 AM
    Why doesn't RIM block OS 2.0 from end users until it is launched? Only allow DEV access until then.
    Much easier and better solution:
    Block reviews on dev builds.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-06-11 06:10 AM
    RIM isn't blocking it so those of us who love to experiment and play can load it and do just that while waiting for the big one. They also state as others have said that it is not for consumers.

So if you are a consumer and not a developer you should know you're taking your chances by installing beta software that was made specifically for developers and there will be things missing, some things won't work and there are still bugs.

Does no one take responsibility for their own actions anymore?
    MPG Vancouver likes this.
    11-06-11 06:42 AM
    agree with gbsn, it was clearly pitched as a beta developers build.

Its not reasonable to expect developers to factor this in on app world so peoplw should not be leaving comments and rating apps based on 2.0 compatibility. In the same way as you wouldnt expect people running iOS 5 beta or Windows Mango beta to leave bad comments in their respective app worlds, they all come with beware warnings. I cant see any of those companies ever getting them into the mess RIM is in with thier OS thus propting many people to adopt a beta OS over the offical release but that another thread!
    11-06-11 06:49 AM
    Men why are people so darn fussy on this forum? Jeez its a beta......everything is there in black and white right before you signed up for the upgrade!!
    11-06-11 10:07 AM
    dont forget one thing though..... some customers/users dont even know how to use the rating scale...... I have seen ratings of 1 star, and the same reviewer writes how much he/she likes that app....... welcome to the world of confused people and yet more of the ones who holds zero knowledge of simple math/grading system.......
    11-06-11 10:17 AM
    that makes too much sense!
    11-06-11 10:18 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD