So I decided to give exchangemymail a trial with their hosted BESX + Google Apps.

For what it does, it works fine no issues at all.

I am just wondering what I am missing about it that makes it worth the $9 per month.

I can file, follow up, sync contacts/calendars and Read/Write Sync seems to be there in both versions.

So, where are my advantages? Perhaps the only one would be free/busy in a calendar but it isn't consequential for me.

I have no problem being sold on it, I just need to see the advantages over the enhanced plugin which seems to do 99% of the same thing.

Thanks
    11-04-11 12:21 PM
    To me it looks like you are paying $10/month per user for a hosted BES. If you're a Google Business user already you can install BES on a server box on your own premises and maintain your own Windows licenses, server backups etc yourself.

They are charging your for convenience and to avoid the self hosing headaches. Granted the number of issues with hosting a BES is next to zero. You need a box, windows 2003 or 2008 and the BES Express software (free). Google Apps for Business includes the BES connector software for free as well, so if you feel confident installing the BES and connector and don't mind managing the box yourself the cost is just your time and the computer.

Isaac
    11-07-11 03:22 PM
    To me it looks like you are paying $10/month per user for a hosted BES. If you're a Google Business user already you can install BES on a server box on your own premises and maintain your own Windows licenses, server backups etc yourself.

They are charging your for convenience and to avoid the self hosing headaches. Granted the number of issues with hosting a BES is next to zero. You need a box, windows 2003 or 2008 and the BES Express software (free). Google Apps for Business includes the BES connector software for free as well, so if you feel confident installing the BES and connector and don't mind managing the box yourself the cost is just your time and the computer.

Isaac
    I don't mind paying the $10 a month rather than trying to do it myself. I right now dont have the time or inclination. My question was more of the advantages of BESX with Google vs the Google Enhanced Plugin.

I have not seen a huge difference between the two on a day to day and I am just wondering where my $10 is going for those advantages...
    11-07-11 03:23 PM
    I think you are paying the $10 a month cause it actually works.

My BIS with google apps takes hours if not days to sync emails, contacts, and calendar...it is very inconsistent.

I just signed up for google apps BES today
    Exchange My Mail
    11-11-11 07:16 PM
    That is who I use and I have been happy.

I am just trying to get a better understanding of the overall advantages.

It will be nice when they upgrade their BESX to 5.0.3 so we can get facebook calendar and contacts sync back
    11-14-11 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD