View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

Edited 09/22/2012 : The original title "I support RIM : I buy share" was misleading many contributors. As of date, I modified my #1 post title and ask mods for the thread title change with : "I support RIM and I buy share". Slight difference, but I believe it gives another meaning to this sentence, closer to my opinion.
    Edited 02/04/2013 : RIM have changed their name to BlackBerry. Therefore, the title change to "I support BBRY and I buy shares !". P.S : This change is subject to mod appreciation so that it may not appear clearly in the forum ... (done : THANK YOU whoever is pressing the button !)

Edited 12/21/2013 : M. Chen is now CEO of BlackBerry and we've seen the best E.R (with a +16% stock day performance) for years. Yet, we all remain cautious an prudent. As an additional warning, I'd like to quote Chris' blog post :
    Betting on the stock is a bet on the company’s ability to stem the losses on hardware while building up new revenue in the enterprise business. If you’re convinced they can succeed, you should probably buy the stock (and you get any potential BBM upside for free at this point). Otherwise stay away. And no matter what … take responsibility for your own decisions. If you’re going to complain and blame someone else for an investment loss then you are not enough of a grown up to own stocks.
    Edited 05/10/2016 :
    [info]
    Dear regulars and visitors,
    As you may have noticed, our long lasting thread has been renamed.
    This happened in order to adapt the title to the current situation and offer a wider scope to our discussions.
    While we still encourage contributors to focus on BBRY related news, we understand that regulars may want to discuss peripheral news (i.e "markets" in general or BlackBerry to the largest extend) and add some friendly chat here and there.
    So, please feel comfortable in our new caf�: sit back, relax, enjoy the place and remember it's aimed to be a friendly place where controversial arguments can be exposed and discussed in a peaceful manner. As in real life, “le taulier” (OP) will try to keep the place welcoming but derails will be handled by the stewards (mod team): general Community Rules and Guidelines still apply.

We sincerely hope all parties will be satisfied with this new approach,
    Thanks for being part of the CrackBerry heart !
    The mod team
    [/info]
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Nov. 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Please be aware that if you consider investing in stocks, mixing different companies and types of investments (ex : safe, aggressive, short term, long term) is highly recommended.
    8. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.

Disclaimer : By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. You have to perform your own research. Positions, experiences, questions and suggestions made in this thread are personal views and NOT authorized investment instructions. Be aware that You can lose everything and neither I nor any contributor in this thread will be responsible for this in any circumstance.

Good luck !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-10-16 at 07:58 AM. Reason: 12/21/13 edit with Chris' quote
    11-02-11 09:21 AM
    Good luck. High risk, but potentially REALLY high returns.
    11-02-11 09:25 AM
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

Disclaimer : buying shares is a high risk action that must not be done unless the money you engage is under 5% of your personal liquid assets. By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. Be aware that You can loose everything and I won't be responsible for this in any circumstance. (if any jurist is around, please PM me if this disclaimer is a fail !)
    Is that you Bernie Madoff? I thought you were still in jail.
    11-02-11 09:28 AM
    Buy RIM shares? You kidding right? Haven't you seen how fast they are dropping? Would you like to lose money? I think not.
    jegs2, shoaib2811, waker and 3 others like this.
    11-02-11 09:42 AM
    I think RIM's future is bright.

Like Warren Buffet says "Buy when people are fearful and sell when people are greedy".
    I think he has done well.

However, I'm not sure I could endorse this type of suggestion by the OP. I support RIM and love their products (especially the OS7 phones and the Playbook) but people need to review their investment objectives before they invest.

I have a few shares of RIM and feel pretty confident they will go over fifty in the next twelve months as a result of valuation and succesful OS7 launches around the world not being recognized by an amazingly negative media. Further, if RIM does surprise everyone and produce a BB-X phone that is as good as it could be, then the stock could go to a hundred again.

However, I'm not sure people should buy shares because of a post on the CrackBerry website. It is not the optimal source. People should consult their financial advisor if they have one or do some research themselves. ValueLine is a popular paid service that Warren Buffett himself has praised. Maybe start there.
    11-02-11 09:42 AM
    A gambler, I am not. Have fun with your money (pit).
    EpicSoftworks and bbfan1040 like this.
    11-02-11 10:08 AM
    Support RIM by buying its products and using its services. Don't 'support' RIM by investing in them. Keep your head separate from your heart.

I see countless posts about RIMM on this forum, and can't help but wonder how young, foolish, and ignorant many of you are with your investing ways.
    11-02-11 10:10 AM
    Maybe 5 years ago I would have invested, but not now. Overseas is doing well though. Maybe next year after QNX gets up and running .....maybe
    moonglampers and Komoto like this.
    11-02-11 10:10 AM
    i invested when they were at 28. blah.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-02-11 10:22 AM

. Be aware that You can loose everything and I won't be responsible for this in any circumstance. (if any jurist is around, please PM me if this disclaimer is a fail !)

My pet peeve #1: people unable to spell "lose" properly!
    11-02-11 10:23 AM
    Thanks for your "answers" and "good luck".
    Please note (again) this is not an "investment" ... and we're taking about 20 boxes a share.

And, "en vrac" (LIFO):
    - hopefully I didn't invest 5 years ago, anyway didn't even consider investing at this time (or ever)
    - I'm not young (45) nor foolish and if you want to talk about riding ... well maybe we can discuss a little.
    - Gambling, well, I presume I have about 2K more chance than with a lottery to get my investment back
    - People should sometimes read Buffet, thanks for this one
    - An Uncle of mine was surnamed "Bernie", but he wasn't Mad off (lol)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-02-11 at 10:40 AM. Reason: edited the 5 years ago, to be more specific (no blame)
    bbfan1040 and Namwan like this.
    11-02-11 10:33 AM
    Yeah, but you probably know as much French than I do English ... you're so bright.
    I flunked my first semester of French, in 9th grade. Happy? that was my first-ever F and was never repeated, in HS...

There are far too many native English speakers who insist on misspelling "lose". The same holds true for "advise/advice". It makes me think that the generations behind me aren't getting a proper education. Certainly there are posters who have completed college and STILL can't use those words properly. It's not like it's a typo--they spell it incorrectly due to not having been taught well.
    Last edited by dave1812; 11-02-11 at 10:38 AM.
    11-02-11 10:35 AM
    I flunked my first semester of French, in 9th grade. Happy? that was my first-ever F and was never repeated, in HS...
    Well ... I deleted the post. who cares anyway.
    Komoto likes this.
    11-02-11 10:38 AM
    Well ... I deleted the post. who cares anyway.
    deleted it? why do that? are u unwilling to have a friendly exchange of thoughts?
    11-02-11 10:40 AM
    Not sure I see the point in buying a handful of shares. No one else will care.
    8230 likes this.
    11-02-11 10:49 AM
    deleted it? why do that? are u unwilling to have a friendly exchange of thoughts?
    Guess it's off-topic and only points out my English can be improved ... who cares ?
    11-02-11 10:53 AM
    Hey Op, are you interested in some beach front property in N. Dakota? Rimm stock has been toast since the beginning of this year. My advice is read books on the market and diff investment strategies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    big_time2 likes this.
    11-02-11 10:59 AM
    Guess it's off-topic and only points out my English can be improved ... who cares ?
    my rant about the misspelling of "lose" was a generalization--I see it every day (literally) when on line. Don't take it personally, please! (notice I had written "people", as opposed to directing a comment right at you)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-02-11 11:00 AM
    Maybe 5 years ago I would have invested, but not now. Overseas is doing well though. Maybe next year after QNX gets up and running .....maybe RIMM 5 year chart
    I hope you woulda sold it at any point before present day if you had cuz if not you would have lost about 60% of your money.
    11-02-11 11:02 AM
    Hey Op, are you interested in some beach front property in N. Dakota? Rimm stock has been toast since the beginning of this year. My advice is read books on the market and diff investment strategies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    For a hundred box ? Well ... no, it'll cost me too much to fly from here to there :-) lol
    11-02-11 11:06 AM
    It's not like a small investor like the OP will lose much. And with the release of the 9900 on AT&T and BBM Music, the share value should at worst stabilize. I'm no market analyst but I am usually right in my predictions. I predict RIM will fall a tiny bit further and then climb nominally in the near term with a temporary spike when they actually release the BBX/QNX products and/or OS2 Playbooks. However, I would guess that BlackBerry dominance of the market is completely over and won't be coming back without major innovation-which would require a change of leadership.
    11-02-11 11:06 AM
    Not sure I see the point in buying a handful of shares. No one else will care.
    [the post quoted by dave1812 was deleted by me, not the thread ...]
    11-02-11 11:08 AM
    It's not like a small investor like the OP will lose much. And with the release of the 9900 on AT&T and BBM Music, the share value should at worst stabilize. I'm no market analyst but I am usually right in my predictions. I predict RIM will fall a tiny bit further and then climb nominally in the near term with a temporary spike when they actually release the BBX/QNX products and/or OS2 Playbooks. However, I would guess that BlackBerry dominance of the market is completely over and won't be coming back without major innovation-which would require a change of leadership.
    Thanks, back in topic.
    Well, I thing this is an ego thing. Being #1 is not necessarily the best place in a world crisis environment. RIM became famous by its tightened relations with enterprises, when texting then emails or BBM where in their birthday suits. Then, the keyboard made the difference and everyday users came to its devices.

When they were #1 the market was what ... 20% of what it is today ? And they did take money ... a lot of money. Why ? Because they did rely on high margin products: services, and had a captive audience as their hardware was mandatory.
    In short, I think RIM can be a high profitable company if they go companies but have to make a breathless effort to gain mass market.
    Just hope they target well; and how I feel it makes me believe they do.

Edit: just rewind the history of IBM ...
    11-02-11 11:23 AM
    You sure about that?

RIM Launches BBM Music, and It’s Doomed Already - Techland - TIME.com
    11-02-11 01:43 PM
    I've balanced out recently to bring my average cost down. I don't plan to be selling out till 2013 anyway at which time, I'll either be really happy, or be out a few thousand dollars, I've saved the few thousand in data costs over the years, so I'll call it even.
    11-02-11 01:50 PM
113,250 123 ...