Hi Everyone, I have a question. I have searched the forums for this to see if anyone know's if there's a software fix for this, but I couldn't find anything conclusive so I thought I'd try a post myself.

So I just bought a used 9810 and I found after using it for a while, that the screen won't go to landscape mode when it's turned sideways. Also, at the same time, the virtual keyboard doesn't come up when it should. I have checked the option to launch the virtual keyboard on slider close, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I am running the latest OS, version and a bare bones install with no additional apps.

One thing to note, is that when the phone is first turned on after a battery pull, the virtual keyboard works and the screen rotates, until the slider keyboard is pulled out just once, then it doesn't work again.

Thoughts?
    11-01-11 06:43 PM
    Try wiping and reloading the operating system. Sounds like a software issue to me
    11-01-11 09:24 PM
    Try holding it straight rather than flat when you want to change the mode...

I observed that when I'm holding the phone flat ( phones back levelled to the ground) in my hand, it does not change its mode but when I'm holding it vertically ( phone in standing position on the ground ), it changes the mode seamlessly.
    11-02-11 01:02 AM
    Have you tried playing a game or using an app that requires the accelerometer?(Need For Speed, Roller Coaster Rush 2, Compass, BBmaps)

If these work then we know its not the accelerometer that is bad. I doubt it is but worth a try.

Sounds to me like the device thinks the 2 halves are open, screen slid up with the keyboard showing. I had a 9800 that had this same problem, device wouldn't rotate and virtual keyboard would never come out(option to open it was even greyed out). All this is the same way the device acts if its open.

I tore quite a few 9800's and now 2 9810's apart and have never found what tells the device whether its open or closed, there's nothing in the slider other then a metal track with a spring for tension. Best guess would be a magnet or sensor of some sort that can sense where the 2 halves are in relation to each other.
    11-02-11 06:39 AM
    My worse case is it's hardware, I bought the phone second had from used victoria, but the seller isnt getting back to me, I was going to ask where he bought it because the sticker has been removed from the box. Sounds fishy, yes. I took it to Bell and they said that the phone hasn't been registered by Bell, so maybe it's hot. I have no clue at this point other than the fact the seller won't get back to me. I'm going to install he official OS from Bell... maybe is's something as simple as that. But then again, it does work for the first time until after it's open the first time after a battery pull.

Have you tried playing a game or using an app that requires the accelerometer?(Need For Speed, Roller Coaster Rush 2, Compass, BBmaps)

If these work then we know its not the accelerometer that is bad. I doubt it is but worth a try.

Sounds to me like the device thinks the 2 halves are open, screen slid up with the keyboard showing. I had a 9800 that had this same problem, device wouldn't rotate and virtual keyboard would never come out(option to open it was even greyed out). All this is the same way the device acts if its open.

I tore quite a few 9800's and now 2 9810's apart and have never found what tells the device whether its open or closed, there's nothing in the slider other then a metal track with a spring for tension. Best guess would be a magnet or sensor of some sort that can sense where the 2 halves are in relation to each other.
    11-03-11 12:22 AM
    do you have a case on it, or have the keyboard slightly open? if they broke something on the hard ware that makes the phone think the keyboard is even slightly open, i would think that would cause it not to rotate and the v. keyboard not to come up, rotation can only happen when it's completely closed
    11-03-11 11:18 AM
    Try wiping and reloading the operating system. Sounds like a software issue to me
    Hmmm, I have wiped the device and reinstalled the OS, but I haven't had any luck yet. I'm going to try a couple of different OS's as well, but I'm not holding out hope at this point. Thinking it must be hardware... maybe.
    11-05-11 12:31 AM
    do you have a case on it, or have the keyboard slightly open? if they broke something on the hard ware that makes the phone think the keyboard is even slightly open, i would think that would cause it not to rotate and the v. keyboard not to come up, rotation can only happen when it's completely closed
    Yes, another interesting thought. But no, I'm not useing a case of any kind, and the keyboard is as closed as I can get it. But why then, does it work when it's rebooted only until the keyboard is slid open, then not again after it's slid closed again? And sometimes, I get fed up thinking about it, put it aside for a few hours and when I come back and turn it on, it prompts me for the password with the virtual keyboard, and it works. The keyboard keeps working until the physical keyboard is slid open, then closed again. So what is causing it is a complete mystery to me. I hate mysteries, I have no patience. Does anyone know of a number I could call for blackberry support? I'd call my provider but I can't tell who the phone was purchased from before it was unlocked.

meh.
    11-05-11 12:35 AM
    When the slider is open, the landscape does not work. This is a known behavior.
    11-05-11 09:22 AM
    When I removed my Seidio Active case, screen orientation and keyboard behaviors returned to normal. Does the OP have a case on the pbone?
    11-05-11 10:12 AM
    Greetings., no, I do not have a case on it, the probles isn't that the phone doesn't go to landscape when the sliders open, the problem is that the phone doesn't go to landscape and the virtual keyboard doesn't work once the slider is closed again. When the slider is closed, the phone still across as though the slide is still open. Except for just after the phone is rebooted and sometimes after it's been sitting for an extended prior of time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-11 12:26 PM
    Sorry got the typos, I'm currently using an ndroid phone with some weird autocomplete behavior

11-05-11 12:32 PM
    I mean sorry about the typos.

11-05-11 12:33 PM
    The slider being open and the device not going into landscape is normal but other behaviors are not. No offense but I have never bought a used phone. If you buy from the carrier or authorized dealer, the price may be higher but you have more recourse in terms of exchange or replacement. I would sell your used device to defray the cost of buying a new one. There is also the more risky way of completely wiping the phone and installing latest OFFICIAL version for your carrier. You may have a leaked OS which are not approved and can have bugs. ATT and TMO carry the 9810.
    11-05-11 12:42 PM
    I posted about this same issue a while back and didn't get many responses.

I have the EXACT same issue with my 9810. I bought it new from AT&T on launch day and didn't initially have the problem - it suddenly appeared about a month ago.

I have a Seidio case and holster for my 9810 and when this problem pops up I also see that holstering the phone does not put it to sleep as it should, in addition to the virtual keyboard and portrait/landscape issues.

I find that if I holster the phone and hit the top lock button and leave it in the holster for a minute or two the problem goes away. Of course, it may just go away on its own anyway without me doing anything - I can't say for sure that my actions are fixing the problem.

This is extremely annoying and I have try my best not to use the physical keyboard because of this. I love this phone but this makes me want to throw it against the wall.

My main concern is whether it's a hardware or software problem and I am starting to think it's the hardware. I initially thought the slider wasn't closing completely but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case.
    11-07-11 07:50 PM
    By the way, I am running the out-of-the-box OS right from AT&T - 7.0.0.261
    11-07-11 07:52 PM
    See also this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-users-667657/

Looks like this solution works but I can't say I'm happy with it.
    11-07-11 07:58 PM
    I'm not happy with the solution either but I'm stuck since I bought the phone used. It's the exact same problem I'm having and I'm am pretty certain that the problem is with the hardware. I've tried various OS versions but there is no difference in the behavior. Just yesterday I discovered that pressing firmly on the keyboard icon does correct the problem if you press it hard enough times but I'm pretty sure that pressing firmly is just putting the slider into a happy place where the phone knowsthat the slider is closed.

11-08-11 02:07 AM
    So, since getting my 9810 brand new from ATT, I had occasionally notice that my phone would not go into landscape mode either. I didn't have the virtual keyboard issue, nor did my keyboard stay lit under the screen, but the phone would not turn to landscape mode with the slider down and the phone on its side. This meant I couldn't use various things, from the compass to wikitude to texas hold'em (which requires landscape mode). I read the two significant threads on here (which seem to be the only ones i could find on the web) and there were no solutions other than "its probably hardware".

I was planning to start the exchange process with the phone, but spotted a can of air (the kind used to clean computer parts/keyboards etc). I figured I would give it a good spray as best i could into the slider mechanism, took the battery pack off and sprayed into every nook and cranny I could. Lo and behold! It seems to be working just fine back into landscape mode. I would recommend trying to spray out the phone to see if it helps, can't hurt anyway...
    03-25-12 02:02 AM
    It's a strange phenomenon but when it happens I restart my phone. I have an app that allows me do this without doing a hard pull. It fixes the problem
    08-24-12 04:23 PM
    I started a thread about this problem a few months ago when the problem started occurring intermittantly.

Since then, it's gotten more frequent. I tried all the workarounds posted, most of them would not work on demand but sometime later the phone would reorient the screen correctly.

This morning, nothing I did will work. Multiple battery pulls, cleaninig completely with canned air, pushing the virtual keyboard softkey,etc. Nothing. My screen is stuck in portrait mode, which really sucks. It effectively rnders some of my apps useless.

I am going to have to take the phone back to AT&T... It's less than a year old, so will they replace the hardware?
    08-29-12 06:54 AM
    I had the exact same issue with my 9810 from Rogers. I tried wiping, reinstalling OS, barebones OS install with no apps, but still didn't work. Unfortunately, my only solution was to use the warranty and exchange for another phone from Rogers. It was supposedly "refurbished", but looked brand new to me. No problem since. I've been trying to exclusively use the virtual keyboard since, to try and get used to it before Blackberry 10 comes out with touch-only phone. I'm VERY reluctant to try slider again. Good luck!
    08-29-12 09:33 AM
    I myself have a tight case that fits too snugly and presses on the screen a bit to much sometimes and when I sit down with it, I have found my screen becomes unresponsive to orientation changes. For me, when this occurs, I open my screen fully and forcefully smack it closed and then it will work once more. You don't want to damage the unit obviously but it takes a quite forceful and abrupt smack closed. The mechanism switch is mechanical (and spring loaded). I saw a video on YouTube on how to take a 9810 apart and saw the slider and the switch mechanism there.

Anyhow, try this out and see if that works. I have had to do this twice before and both times was able to fix my phone. If the first time you try this it doesn't work, try it again. It's hard for me to tell you how much force to apply in words...lets just say it can take some abuse. The slider will not loosen.
    08-31-12 04:25 PM
    Here is a possible solution , open browser , open menu click on options and adjust the way pages are displayed to thumb nail . This should solve the issue . Let me know if it works for you ?
    09-15-12 08:40 AM
    Whenever my 9810 doesn't rotate into landscape mode I just put it against the magnet on my pouch case and take it off the case and voila . . . landscape.
    09-15-12 04:58 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD